Photography

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 pm

I think the skateboard is pretty good. Like the depth of field. I'd maybe recompose it a little. The bird would be better if cropped closer. Aside from learning how to get the right exposure, you can look at the rule of thirds for some help with composition, as I was telling Oz. Just google "rule of thirds" and you'll get lots of good links.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Good tips though.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

evaunit13
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 pm

thanks for the tips guys. i was sitting on my porch on my second day with it when i saw the bird so i just frantically pressed the shutter.
i want rebuild

Action_Bastard
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Ive taken tons on pictures with my camera. They may not be any good, but I might post a few of the ones I like later.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 pm

I've posted these before in the pic thread, but it's always good to get some thoughts.

SPOILER: Show

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Action_Bastard
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:20 am

I shall present my picks of pics in semi-chronological order.

Early-ish stuff

Semi-Recent

Animals

A few days ago

MyAnimeList

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:10 pm

All of the ones in the first spoiler are awesome.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Action_Bastard
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Yeah...I suppose I have digressed in my photography ability as time went on... :shinchair:
MyAnimeList

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:16 pm

No, not at all. It's just that the subjects in the first spoiler are the most immediately impressive ones. Mountains and shit.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I find the last one to be the most beautiful. Plant life is so pretty :'(
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:30 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:you've got an eye for converging lines and how to lead the eye; now you just need to figure out what to lead the eye to.

THIS.

View Original PostZapX wrote:You familiar with the rule of thirds, Oz?

I had heard of it before, but I had totally forgotten it. Thanks for the tip. I spent more time reading about exposure and composition than actually taking photos today. I finally got around to playing with the manual settings of the camera. The results were few and terrible so I don't have anything to share today. Tomorrow I will have more time to work on it because there is going to be another break in the World Cup tournament.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I've posted these before in the pic thread, but it's always good to get some thoughts.

I really love the lighting in the first one. It almost looks like a professional pet portrait. The angle of her/his face and that eye is just purrfect. The only thing I dislike about the second is that I'm not sure if the shadows on the right are enough to balance the frame. The bird is so striking that the stuff on the right just feels like blank space. On the third I would've preferred it if you could've blurred everything outside the window out since it kinda distracts from the cat. I think the flower and sunset pics are nearly perfect, honestly. That sunset pic is a great example of the rule of thirds. I'm not as crazy about the last two pics; the last one seems like it needed either a longer lens/larger aperture or some deep focus - it's kinda in no man's land in that regard.

View Original PostAction_Bastard wrote:I shall present my picks of pics in semi-chronological order.
I agree that nearly all the stuff in the first spoiler seems the strongest. Those two architectural shots, the fireworks, and lightning are truly superb.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:51 pm

I agree with what everyone else says about AB's. The older ones are the better ones. Some of those in the first group are really great. What kind of camera/lenses are you using out of curiosity?

Jimbo, good to know that the latest ones are the best ones. Makes me feel like I'm progressing.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 pm

What was the light source on that first cat pic?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:04 pm

I too would like to know, that first one is absolutely stunning. Incidentally, I love your cat. It seems like he always looks pissed.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Just a shaded lamp above the chair she was sleeping in. It was the only light on in the room and after seeing it I had to run and grab the camera.

Mugwump, she does always look pissy. I think it's the tabby markings. She's actually very affectionate. It makes it hard to take pictures of her at times.

How's this for a pissed off face?
Last edited by ZapX on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Action_Bastard
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:13 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote: What kind of camera/lenses are you using out of curiosity?

A Canon PowerShot SD900. A simple search will probably pull up the specs.

Rock pics were taken in a car, path is at The Gardens at SIUE, other shots are in St. Louis (a few among a bunch), same with the fireworks (same day too, using the fireworks scene setting) and the lightning was a bitch to capture: I took like 150 shots using the continuous shooting feature and only got ONE good one.

Don't ask about my ISO speeds or exposures, like hell I remember those for any picture.
MyAnimeList

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm

A shot I took last year on the eve before Halloween (this was done with my phone camera and I'm surprised how well it came out):
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:11 pm

PN, that landscape is a nice shot. Is that natural light? I like the pipe too.

Xeroko, as I said in IRC:

[9:04pm] ZapX: it's kinda busy
[9:04pm] SSD: SSD's personal input: slightly blurry and could do with more "rule of thirds" though I like the composition. :3
[9:04pm] ZapX: the framing is ok
[9:04pm] Xeroko: I kinda just whipped out my phone and snapped it quickly
[9:05pm] ZapX: i'm guessing the sky is your subject
[9:05pm] ZapX: but there's just so much going on
[9:06pm] ZapX: if it were an empty landscape and that tree weren't in the pic it'd look pretty nice, i bet

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:22 pm

OK, I know this doesn't concern anyone else because I'm the only dinosaur that still chooses to shoot with film, but I'd still like some advice:

Lately I've been researching setting up a darkroom and processing & printing my own films. I learned this is easily doable (and recommended) with b&w, but it's almost impossible to print color transparencies ("trannys") in a darkroom anymore. The only paper that's still available that can do it is Ilofrd Ilfochrome which is a whopping $5 a sheet for 11x14 or $10 a sheet for 16x20. It's also apparently such a tricky process that one would have to waste several sheets just learning how to get it right. To add to the problem, apparently the chemicals are almost non-available and what exists is ridiculously expensive. Apparently, there are only like two labs in the country that still offers Ilfochrome printing as an option (which is sad because apparently the results can be stunning if done right).

So analog printing of trannies is out. The only option is scanning and printing digitally. This offers several optional combinations:

1. I buy my own scanner and printer and do it myself
[Pros]
-Full control over the entire photographic process from exposure to printing.
-Long-run money saver
-I maintain the option of having them professionally scan/printed when needed.
-I may be able to make some money on the side by offering to process, scan, and/or print for other people.

[Cons]
-Scanner Availability and Price: The only dedicated film scanners aren't cheap. A Nikon CoolScan 9000 ED is $2k new, and the only other options are Imacons ($13k-$20k new, and out of my budget) or used drum scanners (good ones still run in the $5k-$10k range).
-Scanner Quality: Even at these prices the scanners can't extract all the information/detail of a 6x7 slide, though it can get close (The Nikon produces 6x7 scans at 9000x11000 pixels at 4000dpi). But they apparently can't touch the color, shadow detail, sharpness, etc. of top drum scanners (which can run in $100k for professional labs).
-Printer Quality and Price: Obviously great printers can be insanely expensive. The top photographic printer from Epson runs about $4k for the "small" 24" version and $6k for the "large" 44" version. Even the ink is expensive to replace (about $90 for one 150ml cartridge, about $800 for a whole set of 10).
-Printer Quality: Similar to scanner quality, it still isn't as good as analog done well, though the ability to manipulate the images may make up for that. It also can't touch professional printing on printers that cost in the tens-of-thousands.

2. Buy my own scanner, have them printed professionally.
[Pros]
-The scanner is more affordable (if not cheap) than the printer and the printer cost will increase with ink replacement.
-I'd save time by having someone else print them.
-Professional printing would certainly be of a higher quality.

[Cons]
1. Professional printing isn't cheap, often running between $10-$50 for a single 8x10-24x30 print.
2. In the long run it would undoubtedly cost more than buying a printer, ink, and paper.

3. Have them scanned and printed professionally.
[Pros]
-The cheapest in terms of immediate cost.
-The highest quality for both processes.

[Cons]
-The most expensive long-term
-I lose control over the outcome

I think right now I'm most seriously considering 1 or 2. I think the scanner is a must for a variety of reasons. The printer is more problematic, especially on a monetary level...

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”