NGE2: Alternate Outcome Translations [3I, Etc.]

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 pm

View Original PostAgent_Koopa wrote:I can't really see SEELE wanting to preserve their personalities, given how much they wax on about "returning to the Garden of Eden" during the series.
All individual personalities are lost in complementation anyway because everyone fills in each other's gaps.

...Though I can't really see twelve old men filling in each other's gaps nearly as well as an entire planet.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:24 pm

But on the other hand, there's less holes to fill over all with just twelve guys.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 pm

I wonder if I should translate the pre-ending Seele/Gendo/Fuyu cut scenes I have on hand before moving onto another inexplicable and context-deficit ending sequence...

I'll alternate, I guess.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Yea, you probably should. Stuff leading up to these endings would be pretty worthwhile.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby User-iel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:10 am

I'm really wondering if the Kaworu functionality here is a trial run for what we will get at the end of Rebuild. Yeah, I am [not] alone. Seems like Shinji winds up as a part of Instrumentality under all permutations. One of the Elect past twelve would be him, do you agree?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

The Elect twelve are SEELE in this ending, so Kaworu's role with Shinji in Rebuild is completely unconnected; especially since I think this ending was on the original version, right?

Agent_Koopa
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Agent_Koopa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Could the death and destruction of the rest of humanity have been a result of humanity's refusal to accept Lilith? That is, it's not so much an act of SEELE's will, but SEELE simply not caring about a natural consequence?

What I mean is that regardless of SEELE's happy end here, or the ending we would've gotten if Shinji accepted Instrumentality, the souls that do not want to be Complemented are eradicated, instead of merged into one against their will.

With this idea, the idea that SEELE are the only ones who accepted Complementation is quite telling.

Well, we know from EoE and EoTV that everyone gets at least halfway into the Complementation process, like it or not, as the anti-AT Field sweeps the globe. We also get the sense that if Complementation does not occur, the souls are just deposited into the ocean where they are free to recreate their bodies. I don't see how this can be reconciled with the impression we're getting from NGE2 that humanity is dead forever unless they manage to get into EVA-01 with SEELE.

Along the same lines: it's been a while since I've seen the series, but aren't there a lot of scenes in which SEELE polylogues about how humans are hurt by their separation from each other, and how it seeks to restore the essential, original human condition of oneness, so that all humans can be happy? Maybe I'm misinterpreting a flawed set of subtitles here, but that idea doesn't seem to fit at all with the idea that only the elite are saved here.

Another interesting thing about this ending is that Adam/Lilith dies. We see GNR die in EoE, but generally this is attributed to the halting of the Instrumentality process. If it's actually a requirement for the completion of the process...? In that case, then the point of the process is to dump the souls of SEELE and other elite people into EVA-01, which becomes a god in the process. Considering that EVA-01 floated off into space at the end of EoE (accompanied by a few souls, or at least crosses, wasn't it?) then perhaps SEELE did have their happy end in EoE after all?
Posts look unprofessional without signatures!

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:44 am

We also get the sense that if Complementation does not occur, the souls are just deposited into the ocean where they are free to recreate their bodies. I don't see how this can be reconciled with the impression we're getting from NGE2 that humanity is dead forever unless they manage to get into EVA-01 with SEELE.

You're not taking into account that in the vision we got in EoE, Instrumentality was handed over to Shinji's control. He was given the option of proceeding with Complementation (wherein it's possible only people who wanted it get merged, and the others vanish), or he rejects it, causing EVERYONE to get a chance to remake their bodies. There is no option in any angle of the scenario where people can merge but dissenters can re-embody. There's either the gestalt, consisting of either part or all of humanity, or a bunch of humans and some others who refuse to re-embody.

Along the same lines: it's been a while since I've seen the series, but aren't there a lot of scenes in which SEELE polylogues about how humans are hurt by their separation from each other, and how it seeks to restore the essential, original human condition of oneness, so that all humans can be happy? Maybe I'm misinterpreting a flawed set of subtitles here, but that idea doesn't seem to fit at all with the idea that only the elite are saved here.

Keep in mind that SEELE are themselves known to lie, be hypocritical, and generally be massive dicks who do terrible things for what they wanted. If they wanted to save all humanity, then why would they have initiated Second Impact knowing it would kill half of humanity? Hmmm...Seems like they don't care about saving EVERYONE at all, only saving all the survivors of their scenario.

Another interesting thing about this ending is that Adam/Lilith dies. We see GNR die in EoE, but generally this is attributed to the halting of the Instrumentality process. If it's actually a requirement for the completion of the process...? In that case, then the point of the process is to dump the souls of SEELE and other elite people into EVA-01, which becomes a god in the process. Considering that EVA-01 floated off into space at the end of EoE (accompanied by a few souls, or at least crosses, wasn't it?) then perhaps SEELE did have their happy end in EoE after all?

The way I figure it is that, either way, Adam/Lilith die. If Complementation happens, their souls are merged and/or vanished just as everyone else's. The divine Rei goddess body is just a temporary vehicle to act out the process, after which it's dumped.

Unit 01 only contained Yui's soul in EoE's ending. What accompanied her was her Lance of Longinus. EVA 01 goes on to exist as a testament of humanity's existence, and a popular fan theory is that she goes on to be a Seed of Life to populate a planet like Adam and Lilith did.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:29 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:There is no option in any angle of the scenario where people can merge but dissenters can re-embody.

Oh lighten up already... it's not like instrumentality is ever explained clearly and succinctly, and all we see on screen is one or two versions out of what could be hundreds of possible impact scenarios. I fail to see why just about anything couldn't happen with all that atf voodoo flying around, depending on who is in charge and what mysterious cosmic forces are in the recipe.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 am

Well, explaining what we do know about the EoE scenario is kind of important. It is indeed true that Shinji didn't possess a third option outside of the two illustrated (contrary to what people thinks about Shinji being able to create universes and whatever the fuck).

Any other hypothetical would be an entirely different scenario.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm bumping, because this is the only legal way I can find out

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:00 pm

...find out what?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:44 pm

The truth that he's been seeking!

Sorry, guys, I've gotten sidetracked with a number of things, hence the lack of updates. It's the same old story~...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...find out what?

Basically, translate the alternate 3I or I'll pirate the game. And it'll be Gainax's fault for not releasing it overseas.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:54 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Basically, translate the alternate 3I or I'll pirate the game. And it'll be Gainax's fault for not releasing it overseas.

Because you know, that shit would sell like gangbusters.

HEY KIDS! PLAY NEON GENESIS EVANGELION2 AND LEARN LOTS OF WEIRD THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER CARED ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE UNLESS YOU WATCHED THIS SHOW THAT CAME OUT LIKE 10 YEAS AGO YOU PROBABLY NEVER EVEN SAW!

But, I am finding a lot of this stuff weirdly fascinating. I don't really even mind the kind of cliche space opera bits, because Eva's plot was not exactly unique in the first place: Monsters fight robots. Eva wins for the way it conveys it's plot, and for the characters within it and how it abuses said characters.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 pm

DragonBall games still sell like hotcakes, and few care about it anymore.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:DragonBall games still sell like hotcakes, and few care about it anymore.

But Dragonball games are just poorly made fighting games and not vehicles for bonus content for a show that, in America, has had maybe 1/3rd ar the very best the exposure that DBZ had.

EDIT:

I'll just put it like this:

Gainax never ever turns down the opportunity to make money, regardless of considerations of taste, decency, integrity, etc. If they thought they could make money releasing it here, they'd do it.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Three months ago today, Reichu wrote:"Thank You" will be coming up next, since SSD already started it, and it's the complement (HURR HURR) of the lousy Seele ending besides.

I love this. I love what I'm learning from this. I love that the nature of the FAR has been revealed, because the truth that they were in fact all too human -- and that they were literally us, probably much as we are now! -- shines a light on those of us who assumed they were more godlike and 'better'. Learning this and other truths after having filled in the blanks ourselves for so long provides the ultimate revelation about our own assumptions. But more importantly, finally learning the truth is the greatest end in itself.

Reichu, please don't be discouraged by anyone who doesn't seem to appreciate what's being revealed. To me, and obviously others, the truth is more important than what we think of it. (I'm actually finding the truth to be quite satisfying anyway, myself.) NGE2 is the best key towards understanding the series this community has ever seen. So in my eyes, getting more of it translated is of tremendous importance if we're ever going to answer the big questions about what was going on.

So whatever you're waiting on... Don't wait. Move forward!

(/channelingOfKaji)

Wha-- There's no Kaji emoticon! :shinji_boohoo:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 pm

What Monk Ed said. Moar.

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:42 am

http//www.nicozon.net/search/PSP%E7%89%88%E3%82%A8%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B2%E3%83%AA%E3%82%AA%E3%83%B32

Link to NGE2 psp endings. Click the play button towards the bottom of the screen to watch.

I don't have experience with forums and stuff if it does not work I don't know how to get it to.

Sorry if you already knew about these videos.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”