What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:18 pm

It's been a while since I last saw an anime that made me feel physically dirty, but Kaze no Stigma managed to do just that. Even the show's color palette offended me. I think I've finally found the bottom of Gonzo's barrel, the festering layer even beneath the level of Burst Angel, but I'm not going to watch Dragonaut to see whether I'm right or not.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:00 pm

I thought Kaze no Stigma was ok, definitely not as bad as Dragontits, which couldn't even manage to put together a coherent story.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:14 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:It's been a while since I last saw an anime that made me feel physically dirty, but Kaze no Stigma managed to do just that. Even the show's color palette offended me. I think I've finally found the bottom of Gonzo's barrel, the festering layer even beneath the level of Burst Angel, but I'm not going to watch Dragonaut to see whether I'm right or not.

Umm.... I guess you didn't like it, but aren't you being awfully harsh? I liked it enough that I'm currently watching it a second time. Could you elaborate on why it caused such an extreme reaction? I certainly don't see how anyone could think it was worse than Burst "Oh, Meg's been captured again; it must be an odd numbered episode" Angel, with its mindless mid season breast enhancements, and its muddled focus.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Umm.... I guess you didn't like it, but aren't you being awfully harsh? I liked it enough that I'm currently watching it a second time. Could you elaborate on why it caused such an extreme reaction? I certainly don't see how anyone could think it was worse than Burst "Oh, Meg's been captured again; it must be an odd numbered episode" Angel, with its mindless mid season breast enhancements, and its muddled focus.

The writing is idiotic.

SPOILER: Show
When Ren is kidnapped to be a human sacrifice, Kazuma and Ayano are sent to rescue him without any back-up (because by this point the script has already nerfed all other Kannagi members). They go by car, and there's quite a long scene where they slowly drive up the mountain. This is utterly stupid, because only a few moments later it is shown that Kazuma can fly and easily carry two people while doing so.

In Misao's arc, the water tentacle monster thingy consumed hundreds of people. Why is everyone being so casual about it? Why isn't there a martial law in Tokyo? If a hundred supernatural murders happened within a few days, I'd expect that to be a major national disaster. Where's the response? Where are all the mages, besides our main trio?

In the final arc, it is (once again) shown that demon-possessed people can easily be cured by spraying them with some purification flames. Ren purifies like four or five of them, but it doesn't seem to be a major priority to him. Kazuma then slaughters these unlucky bastards by the hundreds. Sure, they might have been asshole stoners, but they're still people, and he kills more of them than all of the bad guys in this show combined. And just a bit later the main characters talk about how their powers are meant for protecting people. The actual villains still get away scot-free. These are the worst heroes ever.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 am

That Kazuma was a huge dick was, for me, one of the redeeming parts of Kaze no Stigma. I was like, "Finally, a male protagonist who isn't a whiny perpetually embarrassed blushfactory!"

I just rewatched Moribito, which was so good it invokes the mothering instinct, even though birth-squeezing is horrifying. I just want to be some possessed prince's bodyguard in a land where humankind is still at the mercy of an unknowable nature. I'm also a fan of "strong female leads" that have the muscles to match their abilities.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Saw Akira. Very good indeed, as I was expecting.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:46 pm

^Hell yeah, Akira is awesome. That was one of the first pieces of Japanese Anime I ever watched.

Just finished Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei last night. It was awesome, insane, and pretty much everything the first season was multiplied by a hundred.

Started the Kara no Kyoukai film series. First film was great but extremely strange in terms of structure/pacing and context. Visuals were incredible, the few action sequences were pretty sweet, and the music was cool as well, but the story is so far very vague and lacking substantial context, and there were plenty of seemingly extraneous philosophical dialogues that were only tangentially related to the "plot" (or the plot that has as of yet been revealed). I've been told by an extremely reliable source (and I've read in other reviews) that the series gets really fucking good later on, though. Fuck yeah I'm looking forward to it.

I gave it an 8/10 but there's a strong possibility that 'rating' will change depending on how the rest of the films turn out. As it currently stands, I highly recommend this first part to anyone interested in that kinda srs bidniss grimdark-atmosphere animu.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:47 am

Kara no Kyokai's movies were pretty interesting to say the least. If you're not familiar with tsukihime or the type-moon stuff it may be a little out of the blue.
But if you are interested enough with the movies, I think the 5th one is really the best. The way the narrative is broken up, when it culminates to what we see in the 5th movie, it actually gets pretty epic.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:55 pm

^:) Sweet write-up on the KnK stuff, thanks for linkage. I was told that the fifth movie was the best, and this just further substantiates the claim

Out of curiosity, do you know of any plans to release/distribute this stuff over here? I’ve done a little digging and haven’t turned much up, but that doesn’t mean anything. Considering how popular and ‘accessible’ the films seem to be, I can’t imagine that someone like Funimation would let them slip by.

And funny you mention the Tsukihime stuff, actually. I’ve had that in my shopping cart for when I make my next order (which will probably sometime next month). If it's anything like this stuff I shouldn't be disappointed.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:36 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:And funny you mention the Tsukihime stuff, actually. I’ve had that in my shopping cart for when I make my next order
In case you weren't aware, the general consensus by the Type-Moonies on /a/ is that there is no Tsukihime anime.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:43 am

Watched last episode of B gata H kei today :crybaby: buuu huuu I hope for a 2nd season.

I haven't seen episode 12 yet of Arakawa, but I hope it picks up again and delivers. I had big hopes for it but last few episodes were pretty weak sauce.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 am

Ep 12 isn't out yet, toe mash. Arakawa has been a very disappointing show for me. One of SHAFT's biggest mistakes ever.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:16 pm

The episode when the Mayor makes his hair grow was just so awesome I ended up loving this series.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:26 pm

That hair gag (among other Arakawa jokes) is simply weird for SHAFT. It's more like weird for the sake of weird and happens to be rather unfunny. In comparison there is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that seems random on the surface, but it has a strong current on the inside and always manages to make roar with laughter. Arakawa is more like a collection of all the leftover ideas of SHAFT's brainstorming sessions.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Ep 12 isn't out yet, toe mash. Arakawa has been a very disappointing show for me. One of SHAFT's biggest mistakes ever.

Oops, my bad. I meant 11, was sure it was out already since other series from this season already have their 11/12th episodes out.

Well I don't predict them to pull a 180 and making the series great, which is a shame. Maybe its just the unique SHAFT style getting to me, so the first episodes were more appealing than the later ones.

I'm really disappointed they either didn't focus enough or just let go of the Nino and Rec's relationship. I hoped the series would continue to focus on how her wish was for him to become her "lover", their interaction with each other was pretty entertaining imo.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

After the impeccable second season I doubted whether a 3-episode OVA could possibly keep the quality in top form. And indeed it is inferior to the first two seasons, but not by much. Shinbo certainly didn't run out of steam for this OVA and the OPs are probably the best example of that. They get better and better the more you watch the entire series. 9/10

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

If you thought SHAFT had had budgetary problems and been extremely meta before, think again. The 3rd season is the culmination of direct and hilarious self-criticism from Shinbo and Maedax. The season begins a bit slowly and tamely in comparison to the earlier seasons, but around the middle of the season the quality rises to God tier in an instant and stays there until the finale. 9/10

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Bangaichi

This 2-episode OVA is the last thing related to SZS made at the moment and leaves me wanting more. Even though it's certainly good on its own right, the only truly unforgettable thing about it is the crazy 3-minute OP that is SHAFT's ultimate masterpiece of surrealism and badassity. 9/10

Diebuster

I might be called a heretic for saying this, but I consider Diebuster slightly better than its predecessor, Gunbuster. Both follow the same pattern of employing constant (and silly) fanservice for the first 2 episodes and then takes a sudden step towards more serious content for the last 4 episodes. The weird thing about the overblown fanservice is that it isn't as distracting/irritating as it could be. It sort of "fits in". Despite that it is still a hindrance. Diebuster's characters are surprisingly interesting and the storyline is truly poignant (especially the final scene is so perfect). 9/10
Last edited by Oz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:48 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Diebuster

SPOILER: Show
That rape scene in episode 5 (I think) was... so bad... She can blow up god damn planets but a powerless human can overpower her? lolwut

It was pretty good, I gave it an 8/10. Still prefer Gunbuster though.

Also the OP is fantastic.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 pm

That sure is a nice way to spoil a significant event, toe mash. You have to remember that Nono doesn't want to hurt him and there's also the thing called dramatic tension. It also provides a good way for Lal'C to witness the scene and give her own rant.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Sorry for not spoiler tagging

Just sounds to me like it was shoehorned in when they couldn't think of a good dramatic scene, then. (QUALITY writing)

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:07 pm

It was a major hint of the anxiety of the Topless when they are losing their power. It was a warning for Lal'C. Not just some "random dramatic scene".

Return to “Old Stickies”