Gainax and Anno splitting up over New Movie Edition?

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Gainax and Anno splitting up over New Movie Edition?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Sauce: http://www.japanator.com/rumor-gainax-and-evangelion-remakes-splitting-up--15139.phtml

...I thought that was obvious considering Anno's "Gainax: there's no such thing as forever!" quote in Newtype a few years back (was for some Gunbuster thing).

Either way, Gainax and Anno splitting isn't surprising at all. Plus, Yamaga made no claims or hints of shit ending for Gainax in general (not that he'd necessarily admit something like that to fans) so I'm not worried.

What this means for the future of Kara and NME....Most of the "important" staff from Gainax is already working with Kara on New Movie Edition, so I guess there's not much to worry about with that either.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:01 pm

While i am not surprised much with this event taking place (even though idk what the hell is going on with copyrights here) i am surprised with this :

"Suzuki also wrote that at GAINAX's current level of production and current staff, they would be unable to stay afloat and would fail within 2-3 years without new Evangelion movie licensing rights."

Wow, Eva the lifesaver literally. It is kind of sad for a huge industry to have relied that much onto a certain series and whatever came with it. Sure, Eva franchise is hugeass as as a size-life Eva would be, but still.
Gainax needs a Kamina right now, really.

That said, hopefully this won;t affect at any way, the quality and the pace of the movies. Would suck ass.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Damn, this is some interesting news.

I wish the best for GAINAX. Seeing as how Rebuild is made completely within Khara's offices and the 2nd film just made over $40 million on it's first day of home video release the schedule for Rebuild should continue to flow smoothly.
If this is all true and GAINAX wants to stay afloat hopefully one of their two new series (if they don't get canned) pulls a big profit. Or maybe just dump Yamaga who strikes me as a Japanese Katzenberg, willing to squeeze every cent out of something rather than deliver quality work.

Hoshikawa-kun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hoshikawa-kun » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:22 pm

So the series that got Gainax out of its financial ruin is now putting it back in? Maybe Studio Gainax is about to meets its own Gainax ending.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:24 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If this is all true and GAINAX wants to stay afloat hopefully one of their two new series (if they don't get canned) pulls a big profit. Or maybe just dump Yamaga who strikes me as a Japanese Katzenberg, willing to squeeze every cent out of something rather than deliver quality work.

Basically, they need another smash-hit like Lagann. Which is extremely unlikely to happen, they have raised the stakes way too much with Simon and his gang. This cannot rule out a new hit series of course, but still, difficult.
So, it is more possible for the latter option to takes place, which would be kind of bad. Not quality works do not last much anyway, even if they are ~~successful~~.
So yeah, if the news get confirmed 100%, it is bad news for Gainax, from all kind of aspects.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Don't worry, guys. The article says Hideki Anno may be splitting up with Gainax. It doesn't even mention Hideaki.

Shame this couldn't have happened before Fanime. That way someone could have asked Yamaga about it and most likely gotten an answer along the lines of "I don't know."

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:54 pm

View Original PostHoshikawa-kun wrote:So the series that got Gainax out of its financial ruin is now putting it back in? Maybe Studio Gainax is about to meets its own Gainax ending.

Incoming Logic Bomb.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:57 pm

So Gainax and Anno cannot decide between with each other how to split the golden coin mountain. What's new?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:03 pm

This wont affect Rebuild or NME at all, its all licensing rights, it just mean gainax wont be licensing any of the new evangelion products, wich we already saw on the revoltechs.
Dont know if they'll keep the license for the original series tough.
ANATA BAKA !?

Gib
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gib » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:03 pm

GAINAX "post-FLCL" era sucks.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:00 pm

View Original PostGib wrote:GAINAX "post-FLCL" era sucks.

Gurren Lagann kicked all kinds of ass.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Talking about FLCL some parts of 2.22 make me think about it. Same kind of animation/design.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:15 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Talking about FLCL some parts of 2.22 make me think about it. Same kind of animation/design.
Kazuya Tsurumaki.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Hanmaru Kindergarten.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:02 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Kazuya Tsurumaki.

Good to know, thanks!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 pm

View Original PostGib wrote:GAINAX "post-FLCL" era sucks.

This
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:12 am

Concerning the topic, I find it to be pretty ironic that this is putting them out of business. This powerpuff shit won't keep them afloat, and shikibane hime was an utter failure in my eyes. Gurren Lagann might be their last gem.

Also, considering the tangent this has took, shouldn't this thread be moved to another board?
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Gainax; impaled on their own Spear of Longinus

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Okay, so according to the article, we don't have to worry about Gainax screwing up the production schedule for Rebuild if they and Anno are indeed splitting up, because Khara themselves own the rights to the new movies and merchandise.

However, Gainax would still retain the rights to the original TV series. So, if Gainax goes down, would that destroy any possibility of future re-releases of NGE? Or would the rights simply be sold to another studio, most likely Khara?

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Anno and Yamaga go way back; they were in the same dorm at college, and have been making films together just as long. I asked Yamaga-san directly about the Gainax/Khara split. He said that it wasn't that he and Anno had a fight or anything, it was more that in 2006 Yamaga wanted Gainax to make Gurren Lagann, and Anno wanted Gainax to make Rebuild. Since they couldn't make both at the same time and Anno was set on Rebuild, they came to an understanding that Anno would form his own studio for that purpose; i.e., Studio Khara--and that way, of course, both anime got made.

Speaking only personally now, I can see the merit in both positions. The original was a more important series than Gurren Lagann--but Rebuild is not an original work, whereas Gurren Lagann was (by "original," of course, I mean, "not a remake"). If what Anno had proposed Gainax doing instead of Rebuild was his directing a brand-new, original series, I would have certainly chosen such a new project over Gurren Lagann--what I would most like to see from Anno, rather than more Eva, is an original and different groundbreaking work.

The original Evangelion was new and astounding--whereas Gurren Lagann was only new and very good. But unlike Rebuild of Evangelion, it was new. Looking at the reputation of Gainax as a studio, I think being able to make a modest hit that was new is no less an artistic accomplishment than making a smash hit that is, after all, a remake of a previous smash hit.

As for Gainax's future prospects--maybe, but their obituary has been written many times before (their first predicted breakup was in 1987), nor is this the first time a studio has split off from them to make other projects; Studio GONZO formed itself initially around the original Eva's Maeda, Honda and Yamashita. I hope Anno will work together again with Gainax--and of course, I hope most that it will be on something new :)

--C.

"I want to write a book about angels. I want angel answers."
—Neil Strauss, video for Beck's "Sexx Laws" [/i]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks for the information, Carl! ^_^ I really did have a feeling this was nothing to worry about. What you said is quite reassuring, actually.

(By the way, I literally saw you at Fanime this year during Yamaga's History of Gainax panel and yet again--I didn't get a chance to say "hello". Maybe one of these years I will...)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”