Asuka incident

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

[Spoilers] Asuka incident

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Sat May 29, 2010 8:33 am

Can ya see it too?

SPOILER: Show

Teh Rei!

Teh eye!
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 am

Teh Rei!

That's Bardiel actually. Not sure exactly what I'm supposed to see.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Sat May 29, 2010 8:39 am

I mean this.
[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4538/r31z.jpg]Image[/URL]
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sat May 29, 2010 8:49 am

i do see it. nice find.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 29, 2010 9:26 am

Yeah, that is a nice find... Just what the hell is going on?

I don't know if it's supposed to be implying something about Bardiel, or something about Asuka. (The -nami conspiracy, anyone?) Or maybe even both. Very subtle and VERY suspicious, though...

I wonder if it's intentional that Asuka sees this creepy grinning Rei in the plug after her "smiling" comment.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat May 29, 2010 9:53 am

Oh shit, Asuka must have felt really lucky seeing that creepy face up that close. Dude.

But yeah, nice find. Did not really notice it. I tend to step away from overanalyzing sceencaps and stuff /yeah i know, have we met Eva?/ but it kind of pays off for 'amusing' things like this. Cool find.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat May 29, 2010 10:19 am

...why assume that's Rei? Could just as easily be a creepy superdeformed Asuka, the same way all three children were confronted by copies of themselves when in communication with an angel in the series.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 am

I'm confused. I see the eye in the first pic, I don't think it's Rei though but what're we supposed to be seeing in the second pic?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 am

It would be nice to know which voice actress made the creepy giggles emitted by Bardiel.

And yeah, that eye is a nice find. Bravo!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat May 29, 2010 10:41 am

PRPD: There's a circle around something and you ask what you're supposed to be seeing?

Those things forming the cross kind of look like maggots (maybe maggot Asuka is fresh in my mind). Awesome find, dude.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 am

It would be nice to know which voice actress made the creepy giggles emitted by Bardiel.

I wonder if that's going to have any effect on the angel genders.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:PRPD: There's a circle around something and you ask what you're supposed to be seeing?

I am aware of the circle. I guess what I should have asked was "What is that supposed to be?".
I'm just having a little hard time seeing at the moment.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat May 29, 2010 11:05 am

Besides, look at the tip of her nose in 2nd pic... those needles are nowhere near her eyes. It's likely those are stabilizing rods to hold the fractured bits of her skull in place so that they set correctly.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sat May 29, 2010 11:06 am

I dont understand
are we trying to point out that something happened to asukas eye (the reason she has an eye patch in the 3.0 teaser) and the nature of why?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat May 29, 2010 11:45 am

Definitely did not see the Reiface there.

Interesting to note that the Bardiel cross-pattern is emanating from where the right eye would be, rather than the left. Has anything ever happened to anyone's right eye in Eva before? It always seems to be the left; Rei's bandages, Soryu's lancing, Shikinami too by the looks of it...hell, even Mari's glasses only break the left lens, if I recall.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 am

Rei's bandages are on her right eye. I'm pretty sure Mari's eye injury is the right side too.

Also, NemZ is right, those pins aren't in Asuka's eye.

I prefer /a/non's explanation.
Last edited by ZapX on Sat May 29, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 29, 2010 11:52 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Yeah, that is a nice find... Just what the hell is going on?

I don't know if it's supposed to be implying something about Bardiel, or something about Asuka. (The -nami conspiracy, anyone?) Or maybe even both. Very subtle and VERY suspicious, though...

This is as creepy as hell, and like you said, VERY suspicious. I suspect it's something about the -nami conspiracy that resulted in this mess. Rei popped up in Eva-01 after it went boso on Sachi, and Rei turns up again when Bardi hijacks the Eva. Clearly a pattern.

I wonder if it's intentional that Asuka sees this creepy grinning Rei in the plug after her "smiling" comment.

Now that you mention it, that line sounded almost like an invitation for smiling creepy Rei.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Sat May 29, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat May 29, 2010 11:55 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:Rei's bandages are on her right eye. I'm pretty sure Mari's eye injury is the right side too.

You're right about the bandages, now that I check. You're sort of right about Mari; she's bleeding on the right side of her face (possibly from the eye? I can't find a good shot) but it's the left lens that broke.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat May 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sat May 29, 2010 12:18 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Besides, look at the tip of her nose in 2nd pic... those needles are nowhere near her eyes. It's likely those are stabilizing rods to hold the fractured bits of her skull in place so that they set correctly.

I don’t know, IV looking syringes aren’t normally used to fix bones, and as I said in the image-context thread it would seem from the entryplug’s damage that Yui’s teeth didn’t actually touch her, and most of the physical injuries would have been from the LCLpressure/compression and the impact of having been dropped around.

I guess it’s still possible that something of that sort could have injured Asuka’s check bone but the context of that chamber really doesn’t say ICU/Surgery to me: She’s surrounded by the same Suppression Rods Tuniel and QShogoki have around them, and she’s got needles and wires all over her body in a way that looks awfully reminiscent of Tuniel's accessories. From the context behind the looks I’d say that the function of that room is one of a containment and sample chamber, and Ritsuko’s talk about her being a “Valuable sample” only reinforces that.
That kind of makes it seem like it’s more along the lines of contamination than injuries that might be Asukael’s problem, or at least the problem that NERV thinks is worth is looking at. Going by that the patch might be to conceal contamination/aftereffects and lab work, if her skull would have actually been mashed the scars around it would have been rather prominent(there still is the chance that NERV could have removed her eye & sample tissue, but I don’t know if that would happen). The Syringes could be involved with suppression, or work as a means of gathering biopsies around the locus of where the Angel might have touched her.

Oh and the part about Asuka being pulled into what looks like a face only furthers the idea of Bardiel as an intelligent personality that could play into the "mental contamination" Ritsuko mentioned.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”