Similarities between Rebuild and NGE music

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
0x2eleven
Adam

[Spoilers] Similarities between Rebuild and NGE music

•      
  •      

Postby 0x2eleven » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 am

Am I the only one who has noticed similarities between the string instruments in the second half of Give Me Wings and the ones in the final three minutes of Komm, Susser Tod? I think the instruments are violins, but I don't want to say for sure since I'm no expert. Anyway, in both songs the instruments make this kind of rapidly fluctuating, elegant sound. It could just be because the composers are the same, but I think it might be a bit of an homage to Komm, Susser Tod.

I've always enjoyed that part in Komm, Susser Tod the most. I don't really enjoy Give Me Wings much at all excluding the last thirty seconds.

Anyway, do you hear a similarity?
"Mankind fears the darkness and scrapes it away with fire to survive." -RikkyRikky Rei Ayanami

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat May 29, 2010 5:25 am

I think the idea of using Give Me Wings at the end was to lure fans into thinking 3I will actually take place at this point already. There's the same sweet but offbeat tone to it because it is accompanied such menacing visuals (and the Instrumentality itself is grim).

In short, both of them have these things in common:
A) the same sort of tone
B) they are used under the same context

As for the instruments and compositions, I can't say if there are similarities, but those two notions make the two songs rather similar on their own.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 29, 2010 9:55 am

Please remember to mark the thread as "spoilers", 2.0 is still a hot topic!!

The Noguchi version (called "I Would Give You Anything" instead of "Tsubasa o Kudasai", though it's still in Japanese) adds clapping near the end. Apparently the version for Rebuild of Eva 2.02 (Making Of feature) is even more pronounced with clapping.

Noguchi version (film rip by Naw): http://projectenthalpy.com/noguchi.mp3

So yeah, it's meant to evoke the world ending/3rd Impact vibes.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat May 29, 2010 10:04 am

As a music expert -okay, i am not Freddie Mercury but still- i would not say it bears a similarity concerning notes-strings, but it does have a similar feeling.
Then again, you ask me, all the songs that belong in this orchestral-choir-gentle category, are kind of alike and yet not.
Ultimately, it is the best choice for a scene like this, where srs-revelation-is-gonna-happen-soon-dude takes place.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:24 pm

i think the "rapidly fluctuating" sound your talking about is a chromatic scale, when it it goes up/down all 12 notes of a scale. i think that the noguchi version has the strings (im pretty sure that they're violins, it sounds pretty high and violins are the highest voice of the common strings family) doing that for 1 octave, and komm susser tod does it for 2 or 3 octaves. that and the clapping are definitely reminiscent of komm susser tod.
Last edited by evaunit13 on Mon May 31, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i want rebuild

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat May 29, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't think it's chromatic, if it's a piano it'll be missing the sharps/flats. No idea what this rapidly fluctuating sound is, I don't hear it. There's also an entire orchestra (at least a better part of one). You can hear horns and woodwinds.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:05 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I don't think it's chromatic, if it's a piano it'll be missing the sharps/flats. No idea what this rapidly fluctuating sound is, I don't hear it. There's also an entire orchestra (at least a better part of one). You can hear horns and woodwinds.

5:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw5acgqIHQE
and 0:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ-DC_5sBRo
i want rebuild

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 pm

I think this is better off in Rebuild.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 31, 2010 4:57 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:5:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw5acgqIHQE
and 0:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ-DC_5sBRo

The first is violins, sounds like Bb->A->Ab->G->F->Eb->D->Cb->Bb and back up. Essentially Bb Major with an added dominant 7th.

The second, also violins, is the same thing, but in C Major. Not 100% that it's an added dominant 7th, but pretty sure.

Both are 8/16 note arpeggios (going up and down or vice versa), a 12 note chromatic scale won't fit.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon May 31, 2010 5:22 pm

The ending and the fight with Bardiel gave me massive EoE vibes.
It was such a good feeling.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon May 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Ornette's right on the notes. I can see how you're hearing a chromatic run there, but the notes just don't match up.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Sahaquiel battle track "Destiny" has the same chord changes as the original track for that battle. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if Sagisau just has some "go to" tendencies when composing, but it's an interesting similarity, if only a subtle one.

Also, I'm gonna rename this thread "Similarities between Rebuild and NGE music".
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 31, 2010 6:00 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Also, I'm gonna rename this thread "Similarities between Rebuild and NGE music".

Well, since we're going there, the fact that Les Betes (2EM29) (Eva-03 attacking Eva-01) has a distorted "Hallelujah" chorus will inevitably come up.

...see?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon May 31, 2010 6:08 pm

Wow, this will only lend credence to my inclination that residual Bardiel will be the rapist this time rather than Arael.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Wow, this will only lend credence to my inclination that residual Bardiel will be the rapist this time rather than Arael.

Who's to say that there wasn't plenty of rapin' going on offscreen while Bardiel was alive and kickin'? (Er, in before tangent...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:55 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The first is violins, sounds like Bb->A->Ab->G->F->Eb->D->Cb->Bb and back up. Essentially Bb Major with an added dominant 7th.

The second, also violins, is the same thing, but in C Major. Not 100% that it's an added dominant 7th, but pretty sure.

Both are 8/16 note arpeggios (going up and down or vice versa), a 12 note chromatic scale won't fit.

holy crap i wish i had as good of an ear as you. i couldnt even count how many notes those were.
i want rebuild

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Mon May 31, 2010 9:07 pm

The music is good.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Thu May 30, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

0x2eleven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 0x2eleven » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:53 am

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:These two songs being alike is loosely based enough to go in the sequel theory thread.

I have to disagree, respectfully.
"Mankind fears the darkness and scrapes it away with fire to survive." -RikkyRikky Rei Ayanami

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”