Evangelion Units in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 pm

I think Eva-07 isn't anything special. It'll show up or it'll be destroyed before it can, it'll participate in a battle or something, and that'll be the end of it.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed May 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Look what I found!

Oh. My. Lord. Unit 08...... Is a friggin' Assault Type Aquarion! (specifically a Delta one) HOLY S**T! :peace: :clap:
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed May 26, 2010 12:45 pm

It looks like some kind of new Impact...

Eva4Dummies
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva4Dummies » Wed May 26, 2010 1:14 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Look what I found!

Oh. My. Lord. Unit 08...... Is a friggin' Assault Type Aquarion! (specifically a Delta one) HOLY S**T! :peace: :clap:

No hands??... :ehh:
"The truth is [censored]."
"Missato, you look worn to the bone."

"I have reasons to be. Private reasons."

"Kaji's Bone?"

"Shut your face!"
"Maybe I exist to find out why I exist." from Asuka.
Peace Out!

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 pm

I could not get hands. What I'm more interested in is it's extremely thin waist, maybe it has no lower half? *shrugs* Highly improbable, but who knows.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Wed May 26, 2010 1:51 pm

It does have a lower half, you can see it's feet behind the pylons.
The real question is if those two spikes on it's back could be dual plug-hatches.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed May 26, 2010 1:55 pm

It does have a lower half, you can see it's feet behind the pylons.

Crap, I didn't think of that, I thought those were things on it's spine that helped serving levitation or something. Man, Unit 08 must be highly athletic or something if it can to that. O_o
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:The real question is if those two spikes on it's back could be dual plug-hatches.

At first I thought those were on the back, as well, but on closer investigation they appear to be projections off the helmet.

Kind of in keeping with the Eva-01 and Eva-06 design aesthetic. Horn (well... assuming it's a horn and not a fin or something) and big frilly things going everywhere. (The "shark gills" are an ominous touch.)

Now it's pretty obvious that the basic shape of the helmet is extremely similar to Eva-01's. Look at the part covering the front of the face (and ignore the third eye/anchor deal). Even has embossed lines radiating from the eye holes.

View Original PostLegendary wrote:I think Eva-07 isn't anything special. It'll show up or it'll be destroyed before it can, it'll participate in a battle or something, and that'll be the end of it.

After Eva-04 and Eva-05, wouldn't that be too predictable a fate for a new Eva?

The fact that Eva-07's existence is alluded to only through virtue of omission seems a bit fishy. I thought Ursus' suggestion that they don't show Eva-07 in the preview because it's been in front of us the whole time (hence the ZOMG LILITH stuff) was rather compelling.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm

By the way, this unit 08 looks a lot like Eva shogoki going wtf at the end of the second movie.

Maybe it's just a "rebuild" (hahaha!) version of 01.

What I find rather strange is that the logo where they "seal" the evas looks exactly the same.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed May 26, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm thinking the 'gills' are actually more of a bolt kind of thing, and the big fins are not part of the helmet (which would be silly huge) but instead another variation of an eva-sized jetpack.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 7:54 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:the big fins are not part of the helmet (which would be silly huge) but instead another variation of an eva-sized jetpack.

Upon further consideration, you're probably right that they're not part of the helmet (now I feels silly), though I'm not sure if "jetpack" is the right idea. With the perspective, we honestly can't tell what the hell they are.

For a relevant comparison: Until we saw 2.0, we didn't have the slightest way of knowing the function of the huge thing over Eva-05's entry plug hatch, and then it turned out to be a rocket-propelled escape pod.

If nothing else, the doodads on Eva-08 might have the part-time job of "wing imagery".

(And bolts or no, they still look like gills in the pic... don't they?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Amras Felagund
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amras Felagund » Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 pm

In any case, the "Eva-01 is upgraded to Eva-08" theory is looking more promising with these higher-resolution images...
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:(And bolts or no, they still look like gills in the pic... don't they?)

Kinda, yeah.

Regardless, they probably serve whatever bullshit purpose the similar side-of-head-things 01 had covered.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Old speculation: Mari is Buster Machi--er, Eva-07. Or at least 07's pilot.

Seriously, how cool (or cliched) would it be if that were the case?

I want to see Sho fold her arms all badass ala Gunbuster/etc just once, at any rate.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Onii-chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onii-chan » Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 am

Seeing as Shinji and Eva-01 are now the same being, Eva-08 is obviously 3200 m tall and Eva-01 pilots it from within a massive entry plug.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 pm

View Original PostOnii-chan wrote:Seeing as Shinji and Eva-01 are now the same being, Eva-08 is obviously 3200 m tall and Eva-01 pilots it from within a massive entry plug.

You know, I'm starting to think it even more likely that Anno just really, really liked Gurren Lagann.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

IkariRei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IkariRei » Fri May 28, 2010 12:07 pm

For now i'm prone to believe Eva 08 will be piloted by Asuka simply because i find these up side down shots similar.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri May 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Woah, nice. The Eva team likes to use similar shots like that. You never see something just once, like Misato/Sachiel. Whether it's just that or foreshadowing, I'm not sure. Either way, good catch.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

rilocay
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rilocay » Sat May 29, 2010 6:40 am

I need some clarification on Unit 6....

In the teaser for Q, is the eva unit we see hovering down (probably Nerv, just before we see Unit 8 for the first time) Unit 6? Because although it's status is side on, it seems to match with what we have seen of it front on. I'm guessing this has already been stated before but other than the colour change and a few inclusions - it looks exactly the same as Unit 01. This would be something important surely - it could explain what the moon giant was/is or have a key role with the series end.

Maybe someone could screen cap a rip or dvd (i've only got the bluray)? I havn't seen it discussed here much so i'm quite curios.

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Sat May 29, 2010 8:26 am

..There's an Eva Unit 8 now? :look:

I've been with Gundam 00 a bit too long...I gotta get back in the loop with Eva.

Either way, it looks stunning. :D

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”