2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Tue May 25, 2010 11:10 pm

View Original Postpvthong wrote:Squall: as there is timing difference between the bd rip and the dvd rip can you rename your subs files? As you will retime the subs for the bd rip please keep the present one under a new name for the dvd rip.

Sure. I never uploaded the Blu-ray timed subs so I'll just rename it.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue May 25, 2010 11:28 pm

View Original Postcody727kirby wrote:On a side note, I really wish the lyrics were in these subs... They were in these old camrip ones. http://roe2wade.command-q.org/

You're talking about this, correct?

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_2.22_-_You_Can_(Not)_Advance_[3xR][Blu-ray.1080p.H264.FLAC][_CRC_]-subs.ass

This one has the lyrics for the songs. At least, I can see them.

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Thank you very much! :) Must've grabbed my subs from an older link...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 1:43 am

Squall, you didn't reply to meeeee. I feel unloved!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 am

Just wanted to give heads up, the Kaji english line is wrong.

please insert this into the proper timing.

-it was within the realm of possibility
-"as it now" <sugestion can't really make up his grunting>
-humanity isn't capable of holding the angels in check.

-the analysis "pulling" (not so sure) the permafrost excavation of the third angel was so extensive, all that was left were some bones ! (poor boniel) that was the conclusion

-that said, get well !
ANATA BAKA !?

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed May 26, 2010 7:04 am

@Reichu: Huh?

@bladerj:
Kaji: On its own, humanity is incapable of holding the Angels in check.
Kaji: The analysis following the permafrost extraction
Kaji: of the Third Angel was so extensive, what was left were the bones.
Kaji: And that was the conclusion.

I've already fixed all of the Engrish portions including Mari's phone call, which people seem to have forgotten about...
Mari: Hello, Mari here.
Mari: Yes, I seem to have glided off target.
Mari: It looks like I'm in a school of some sort.
Mari: What?
Mari: Well you told me to enter into Japan covertly.
Mari: Can't you have the Europe people work this out?
Mari: Just be there for my extraction later, okay? Thanks!

In a decision that may piss a number of people off, I have decided that I am not going to do a karaoke for the end credits and I will keep the simple fade-in/fade-out animations for the lines. Get over it, people! The effort to reward ratio for karaoke these days is astronomically high because of viewers' expectations, which is why groups have stopped doing it altogether in some cases. Once you see a cool effect, you will want to see better effects which get exponentially harder to code.
"But, but... radionerd, you have like 4 days before the video renders..."
No buts! Usually karaoke is designed and timed before the video is rendered and then hard subbed into it. Retiming the song and designing (stealing) an effect would add about another day to encoding. And don't even get me started on the problems people will have with softsubbed karaoke; they're going to have a hard enough time trying to play back the video on its own.

On another note, I'm about 22% done with the retiming of the Blu-ray subs, so I am on track for a Sunday finish. The video, on the other hand, is taking its dear, sweet time and is at 7.5% (13% of pass-1). Hindsight 20/20, maybe I should have enabled turbo...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 am

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:@Reichu: Huh?

My last post. Addressed to you. You didn't reply to it.

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=358225#358225
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed May 26, 2010 7:35 am

Oh, like SSD said, it would be nice to have you look over the subs and edit them slightly. A few of lolzy's translations have me scratching my head (no offense, lolzy) and I know that Touji doesn't use the phrase "Oh honestly...". If you are going to do a TL check, please use the Japanese closed captions that are on the disc.

As for style, the honorifics and eastern/western naming we can beat until its a dead horse. I still think that the style I used for the current script is fine.

Blu-ray timed file 22% complete:
http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_2.22_-_You_Can_(Not)_Advance_[3xR][Blu-ray.1080p.H264.FLAC][_CRC_]-subs%20-_BDTIME-inc.ass

lolzly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lolzly » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 am

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:A few of lolzy's translations have me scratching my head (no offense, lolzy) and I know that Touji doesn't use the phrase "Oh honestly...".

He says a mish-mash of kansai-ben. "Who does she think she is/what the hell was she talking about," etc... The "honestly" part was just for "mattaku." I don't know if you're referring to anything else, but like I said:

View Original Postlolzly wrote:I just typed this all up in a fury, so if anything's wrong, change it whatever, who cares.

And if anyone is going to TL check, I don't mean to be rude, but I've spotted a few mistranslations in just the first 20-25 minutes.

I mean something about bones and the Third Angel, Mari fighting with the Third Angel, Shinji speaking at his mother's grave, Shinji and Misato in the car, Kensuke's speech before the aquarium. They're not a big deal I guess but...
KOI!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 9:52 am

View Original Postlolzly wrote:And if anyone is going to TL check, I don't mean to be rude, but I've spotted a few mistranslations in just the first 20-25 minutes.

It's a pretty choppy fan translation, so there's plenty of room for improvement. If you see opportunities to tidy it up, go for it! :wink:

BTW, what's your background with nihongo? You've made me curious now. (I'm personally a bit limited, but I know enough to help out here and there.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Wed May 26, 2010 1:29 pm

View Original PostCtHuLhU wrote:Here's the official subs from which we made translation for the first performance of 2.0 in Russia.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj0tuhmwido
This version is a kind of dry and reduced for me.
If it's any help, I've re-uploaded the official subs:
[url]http://rapidshare.com/files/391836607/roe2.0_en.rar.html[/url]
[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DMS6KK9V[/url]
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?z2jmyq2zmvk[/url]
[url]http://www.zshare.net/download/76546787de38aefe/[/url]
[url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/jk70x9[/url]

The script is untimed, and does not include the new scenes or Kaiji's english dialogue. Might help for TL checking though.

Touka
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Touka » Wed May 26, 2010 2:05 pm

VLC decides to play the subtitles in a pretty much unreadable font for me. Is there anything I can do to fix this or are you guys all using different media players?

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 pm

I use Media Player Classic HC. From my experience, VLC isn't all that good.
-

Anyway, is it possible that you could perhaps move the subtitles a little closer to the center of the screen? Cause I have found them to be slightly straining on the eyes the way they are now. The Japanese subs in the beginning of the movie got it just about right.
Last edited by Rodeo on Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed May 26, 2010 3:12 pm

View Original PostTouka wrote:VLC decides to play the subtitles in a pretty much unreadable font for me. Is there anything I can do to fix this or are you guys all using different media players?

Use Media Player Classic - Homecinema for subs. VLC does strange things with ASS sub files that have override tags. The fonts I have been using are Formal436, FZKai36(?), Tahoma, Cergio ITC, Segoe UI, Bradley Hand ITC and Arial. You can find them online, in Windows Vista/7, and in Adobe CS3+ products. I'll upload the font pack when I get off work at 3. It should solve all font issues.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Just a couple of odd items:

Dialogue: 0,0:02:21.57,0:02:23.24,eva-2_NJ,Kaji,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}And that's why I'll leave the rest to you!{Russian}{TL taken from Japanese subs}

Should be, "That said, good luck!" Not Russian at all.

Dialogue: 0,0:04:31.20,0:04:35.96,eva-2,Mari,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Fine, screw it!\NI'll give you one of them...!

What was wrong with "I'll give you an arm"? Does "arm" really become redundant to the point of reducing it to a pronoun because she just mentioned "limbs"? (Also, does she HAVE to say "Screw it"?)

Dialogue: 0,1:41:44.28,1:41:50.12,eva-2,Ritsuko,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Breaking free of humanity's grip, its transforming itself into a divine entity close to God.

Should be "its" EDIT: durp, "it's".

Dialogue: 0,1:51:22.44,1:51:25.82,eva-2,Kaworu,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Come now, the promised time has come, Shinji Ikari.

Too much "come". :p It sounds awkward.

Dialogue: 0,1:51:42.30,1:51:44.59,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Eva Unit-06 descends into the Dogma.

Why "the" Dogma?

Dialogue: 0,1:51:35.54,1:51:38.83,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Unit-01, locked down with Rei and Shinji inside.{The frozen Eva Unit-01 with Rei and Shinji still absorbed.}

"Inside" doesn't seem to fully convey the idea that they've been absorbed / taken in.

Dialogue: 0,1:51:54.89,1:51:58.06,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Next time in "Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Q".

Dialogue: 0,0:05:47.86,0:05:52.87,Signs,,0000,0000,0000,,{\pos(480,388)\fnTahoma\fs48\c&H0645F1&}Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Division

NEW MOVIE EDITION! :hurr:

Dialogue: 0,1:51:58.10,1:52:01.48,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Get set up for lots more fan service comin' up next time, too!

Kind of wordy, don't you think?

So far, it does look like you've refined things quite a lot. Kind of relieving. I remember what an awkward nightmarish state the subs were in when I had to take off a while back. Overall, good work, man. I'll post further thoughts as I have them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Dialogue: 0,0:02:21.57,0:02:23.24,eva-2_NJ,Kaji,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}That said, good luck!{English}

Ah, I see now. Just need to turn the speakers up.

Dialogue: 0,0:04:31.20,0:04:35.96,eva-2,Mari,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Screw it!\NI'll give you an arm!

The "Fine, screw it!" did sound a little redundant, so I just simplified it a little more. To me, the translation in CtHuLhU's file sounded a bit more natural. But here's a blend. "It can't be helped" just sounded a little too wordy. If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Dialogue: 0,1:41:44.28,1:41:50.12,eva-2,Ritsuko,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Breaking free of humanity's grip, it's transforming itself into a divine entity close to God.

Yeah, I caught that just before you fixed it... ^_^

Dialogue: 0,1:51:22.44,1:51:25.82,eva-2,Kaworu,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}So, the appointed time has come, Shinji Ikari.

If I remember, the original version was actually your translation (or SSD's), but this will work too.

Dialogue: 0,1:51:42.29,1:51:44.59,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Eva Unit-06 descends into Dogma.

Works too.

Dialogue: 0,1:51:35.54,1:51:38.83,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Unit-01, locked down with Rei and Shinji still absorbed.{The frozen Eva Unit-01 with Rei and Shinji still absorbed.}

Works too.

Dialogue: 0,0:05:47.86,0:05:52.87,Signs,,0000,0000,0000,,{\pos(480,388)\fnTahoma\fs48\c&H0645F1&}Evangelion New Movie Edition: Division
Dialogue: 0,1:51:57.68,1:52:02.61,Signs,,0000,0000,0000,,{\fs36\fnTahoma\pos(480,314)\c&H000000&}Evangelion New Movie Edition:

Either work. Even "Film Version" could work.

Dialogue: 0,1:51:58.10,1:52:01.48,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Get set for lots more fan service comin' up next time, too!

The first "up" was redundant.

Glad to have the queen back :exalt: .

lolzly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lolzly » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's a pretty choppy fan translation, so there's plenty of room for improvement. If you see opportunities to tidy it up, go for it! :wink:

BTW, what's your background with nihongo? You've made me curious now. (I'm personally a bit limited, but I know enough to help out here and there.)

Not a whole lot. I've been in Japan for various stretches of my life and read and watch a decent amount of Japanese media. I wouldn't say I'm really fluent or anything, but I can manage for the most part.

Um I don't know I would really be helping but I guess a few things. I don't want to re-word anything someone else has done, but only some things I noticed... Mari's line "Fine, screw it!\NI'll give you one of them...!" isn't she talking to Eva? "There's not enough power to sync with these artificial arms, so I'll disconnect an arm to have enough power" sort of meaning. She even plucks away that orange cord thing.

"I still can't believe Mother rests here." He's saying "I never could understand the concept of mother being laid to rest here," because he never really knew her ("I don't even remember her face") not that he's skeptical about whether or not she's there. Only later does Gendo tell him that in fact there is no body there.

Misato and Shinji's conversation in the car seems to omit a couple lines. I don't know if it was just for brevity's sake.

Kensuke never says that marine animals from the previous ocean can help return the ocean to its previous state or that they are nearly extinct (but I guess that's implicit). He says that they're preserving them and running divine experiments to return the "red-stained" ocean to its former state. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't see the connection or at least is never stated explicitly.

Anyway it is late here, and maybe I am just nit-picking because this is very well done. Thank you everyone here for allowing me to enjoy this movie in English. :bigguns:

EDIT: I forgot Kaji talking about "bones" or something. That is just random. All I'm hearing is "Humans alone are incapable of holding back the Angels. And it seems we've learned that lesson again by extracting the Third angel from the permafrost and trying to hack it into tiny little pieces." Doesn't 切り刻む just mean to start to cut or chop up? I guess he was just trying to be funny, but nothing about leaving bones behind...
KOI!

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed May 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Kaji is correct in saying that only the bones remain. Look at the Angel; it's a complete skeleton. Extensive analysis following a permafrost extraction could imply dissecting a beast to the point where only bones remain. After all, I think they wanted to know every bit about the Angel. During that analysis, the Angel broke free from Cocytus. The Japanese subtitles just give a little more detail.

Actually, Mari is speaking to both herself and the Angel during the entire engagement up until the end when she thanks Unit-05 for its hard work. She is giving up her arm in an effort to make a killing blow. I think I speak for everyone involved in saying that's what we took from it.

"I still can't believe Mother rests here." Correct me if I'm wrong, Reichu, but this line was in the Original Series verbatim. Nevermind, I found it and will change it to "It just hasn't sunk in that Mother is resting here". I believe both would have worked still.

Could you elaborate on Misato and Shinji's conversation in the car?

Dialogue: 0,0:21:20.88,0:21:23.01,eva-2,Kensuke,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Wow! This is awesome!
Dialogue: 0,0:21:23.17,0:21:32.85,eva-2,Kensuke,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}The perpetual preservation of lost marine life and the restoration of the world's oceans!
Dialogue: 0,0:21:32.85,0:21:35.98,eva-2,Kensuke,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}Grand, godlike endeavors are taking place in this forbidden sanctuary!
Dialogue: 0,0:21:35.98,0:21:38.73,eva-2,Kensuke,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}To think we get to visit even a small part of it!\NIt's good to have friends!

How's this?

Glad you like it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 26, 2010 8:04 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:Actually, Mari is speaking to both herself and the Angel during the entire engagement up until the end when she thanks Unit-05 for its hard work. She is giving up her arm in an effort to make a killing blow. I think I speak for everyone involved in saying that's what we took from it.

Earlier in the thread, when I was tackling the opening scene for the first time, the stuff about "I'll give you an arm" was rather contentious, i.e. whether she was talking to the Angel, or whether she was literally giving one of the arms over to the Eva's control. The fact that Eva-05 goes semi-berserk during the final moments of the battle seems to support the "giving the arm to Eva" interpretation, but a consensus couldn't be reached, so those of us who were tackling the translation at the time left it ambiguous regarding who "you" (who Mari was 'giving' an arm to) was.

Suffice to say, I would regard the matter as an item of contention, and I personally agree with lulzly. I can try to locate some of the earlier debate if you'd find it useful.

I'll post later with the episode 15 line unless someone beats me to it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed May 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Regardless, there is still a "you" in the line and its meaning can be left to viewers.

I found the line from Episode 15 and already changed it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”