[LAEM] They're asking the fans

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

AchtungAffen
Banned

They're asking the fans

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:36 pm

I got from ANN that this article was published on Fortune.com about ADV, anime and money. Among the various things it says are that ADV has half of the 100 million required for the movie. But also something about fan-feedback:

Richard Taylor, Weta's co-founder, says he's never experienced anything quite like it. Twice a week he'd have a conference call with the fans at ADV, sending them renderings of his designs for things like the 100-foot-tall robots and getting in return their encyclopedic take on the interpretations. "These are people who could be considered scholars on the world of Evangelion,"

Really? Weta consulting teh eva otakudom? I wonder where.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:09 pm

thats so funny that some kid thought that John Ledford made eva :lol:

note to all people: if your gana bitch to someone about something u love, know the fact first....
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: They're asking the fans

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:07 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Really? Weta consulting teh eva otakudom? I wonder where.

I haven't seen anything. And I frequent every Evangelion hotspot on the net. Probably just the random employees at WETA and ADV that think Evangelion is the shit.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: They're asking the fans

Postby drinian » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:17 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:
Richard Taylor, Weta's co-founder, says he's never experienced anything quite like it. Twice a week he'd have a conference call with the fans at ADV, sending them renderings of his designs for things like the 100-foot-tall robots and getting in return their encyclopedic take on the interpretations. "These are people who could be considered scholars on the world of Evangelion,"

Really? Weta consulting teh eva otakudom? I wonder where.

Thanks for the link, that was a good article (although, as are most general-interest stories on anime, too focused on ADV).

My guess is that the "two fans at ADV" mentioned in the article are Matt Greenfield and Tiffany Grant. It's pretty clear that they meant people inside ADV who are Eva fans, rather than people in the wider community.

Another interesting tidbit mentioned is that ADV's profit margin on most of its discs is something like 25%.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby poetic_assassin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:26 pm

Maybe by email?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:58 pm

Twice a week he'd have a conference call with the fans at ADV, sending them renderings of his designs for things like the 100-foot-tall robots and getting in return their encyclopedic take on the interpretations. "These are people who could be considered scholars on the world of Evangelion,"

If they're Eva scholars, I'm a tricycle.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:00 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:If they're Eva scholars, I'm a tricycle.

This is a company that employs people like Greg Ayres, someone who had a very good job in a law firm, who quit to voice the role of San Goku in Saiyuki. Someone who would rather be having fun and broke than be comfortable with a mundane job.

On one hand, I understand, you should enjoy your work, but ruining your prospects for a comfortable life and security is just plain stupid. Anime VAs cannot make a living, and they admit it. The only difference between an anime VA and someone who flips burgers is that anime VAs enjoy their job. Its irresponsible and silly, and people that run these companies never learned to grow up.

I'm absolutely certain the only grown up in the anime industry is Carl Horn, but I'm sure he would contest that.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. But I'll wager a big mac that people at ADV don't know a lick about Eva. This coming from a company led by Matt Greenfield and his stupid bogus fucking ideas about Eva that make me want to tear my hair out.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:20 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:This coming from a company led by Matt Greenfield and his stupid bogus fucking ideas about Eva that make me want to tear my hair out.

Unfortunately, they're the ones with $50 million for this project. I doubt even the net worth of all the forum-dwellers here comes to that. Want to see what live-action Eva will look like? Look at the "Mythology of Evangelion" bits on the Platinum discs, because those are the people guiding Weta.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:47 pm

drinian wrote:Want to see what live-action Eva will look like? Look at the "Mythology of Evangelion" bits on the Platinum discs, because those are the people guiding Weta.

I want to fucking cry.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby rb_182_ » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:20 am

lol yeah that Mythology of Evangelion. He is talking too much about religion and other things, then focusing on the actual show and what it tells us.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Ryo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:21 am

This movie is going to be shit.
Asuka > Rei

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:43 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:

This is a company that employs people like Greg Ayres, someone who had a very good job in a law firm, who quit to voice the role of San Goku in Saiyuki. Someone who would rather be having fun and broke than be comfortable with a mundane job.

On one hand, I understand, you should enjoy your work, but ruining your prospects for a comfortable life and security is just plain stupid. Anime VAs cannot make a living, and they admit it. The only difference between an anime VA and someone who flips burgers is that anime VAs enjoy their job. Its irresponsible and silly, and people that run these companies never learned to grow up.

I'm absolutely certain the only grown up in the anime industry is Carl Horn, but I'm sure he would contest that.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. But I'll wager a big mac that people at ADV don't know a lick about Eva. This coming from a company led by Matt Greenfield and his stupid bogus fucking ideas about Eva that make me want to tear my hair out.

Holy shit! Are you actually trying to tell people how to live? Maybe you should grow up and learn to mind your own business.
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: ^_^ \/,,

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:55 am

chiefen wrote:Holy shit! Are you actually trying to tell people how to live? Maybe you should grow up and learn to mind your own business.

For the most part I do mind my own buisness. It's hard for me not to want for people to grow up. Spend some time at an anime convention observing the behavior of some of the "adults" and you'll know exactly what I mean. This does not apply simply to fans, this also applies to people in the industry. There is a very fuzzy line between the two.

So when I hear that people at ADV are doing QC work, I cry inside, because they're more concerned with making money than anything else. That and doing something they think is really cool.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:25 pm

chiefen wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:

Holy shit! Are you actually trying to tell people how to live? Maybe you should grow up and learn to mind your own business.

Hey, you sound just like NAMBLA!

_get some help

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:44 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Hey, you sound just like NAMBLA!

I think this thread just got hit by a corollary of Godwin's law.

On the topic of live-action Eva, though, I was thinking some more, and I realized that most of what we've seen so far involves design work. I realize that a rough script has supposedly been worked out, but I think the final direction of the story is going to be decided by whatever "A-list" director is eventually brought in and not the anime geeks from Texas.

Of course, Michael Bay could end up directing it.

But I'll withold judgement until then.

As for VAs enjoying their jobs, I don't really see anything wrong with that. If I could work in the anime industry and make a decent living (and the indications seem to be that ADV's profit margins could make this happen if they really wanted to) then I might consider it. It's certainly better to have people who like the industry in charge than otherwise, even if the market segment they're enthusiastic about might be different from that of people on this forum.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:52 pm

drinian wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote:Hey, you sound just like NAMBLA!

I think this thread just got hit by a corollary of Godwin's law.

Yes, and it was worth it. Heehee, NAMBLA. :lol: Ahhhh, they screw boys...

_get some help

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby superdoughboy4 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:13 pm

Ryo wrote:This movie is going to be shit.

You think?
I doubt anything's organized at all...

chiefen wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:

He speaks partly the truth.
It's idiotic, to quit a well-paying job, and to get a job, that probably gives you a 1/5 of how much you normally get, pertaining to a lawyer's job.
It may seem fun, but your life and money is just gonna perish.
People should reconsider doing something like that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:00 am

superdoughboy4 wrote:He speaks partly the truth.
It's idiotic, to quit a well-paying job, and to get a job, that probably gives you a 1/5 of how much you normally get, pertaining to a lawyer's job.

Mark 8:36 and 1 Tim. 6:10 would both suggest otherwise. But those are some of the crypto-communist hippy shit bits of the scriptures that tend to get skimmed quickly over in the modern Church of Mammon.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby chiefen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:11 pm

superdoughboy4 wrote:
Ryo wrote:This movie is going to be shit.

You think?
I doubt anything's organized at all...

chiefen wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:

He speaks partly the truth.

No. It's idiotic to continue doing something that doesn't make you happy when there is something that could. Not everyone values money as high as his/her happiness.
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:17 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
drinian wrote:Want to see what live-action Eva will look like? Look at the "Mythology of Evangelion" bits on the Platinum discs, because those are the people guiding Weta.

I want to fucking cry.

I know the "Mythology of Evangelion" was terrible and obvious and a wast of my time. I already know that Shinji didnt wanna fight the 13th angel cuz there was a person in it and he was sad when he found out it was touji. no duh
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”