Questions/Thoughts About Official Eva Music

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Cruel Angel Thesis Clip

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:19 am

Hello everyone, I'm Legend of the Past. I hope to be active and enjoy things here, and be helpful in discussions to come.

So, onto discussion. I've been watching an high quality version of Cruel Angel Thesis on YouTube, and saw all the things flashing there-Embryonic and Mature Adam, young Gendo Ikari, Rei sitting naked with her knees covering her torso next to what looks like a glass of water, SEELE logo, a part of the earth burning, etc etc etc... One intresting flash appears right at the last five seconds, where you see several shots of Shinji face, and then you see him shielding himself from some kind of light. It's really hard to focus on them in regular speed, because the moment you try to focus on one shot, you miss another two. That felt reminiscent of hidden messanging and use of flashes, a sort of hypnosis. My guess is that the subconsious does realize and catch those images, so that if you see the video in good quality, you can see things like Embryonic Adam and feel like you've seen it before. It's a try to make you feel like a part of the show.

I'm sure you know a similar thing happans with 'Komm, Susser Todd'. The song's clapping makes you want to clap along, and the repeating of the chorus at the end makes you sing along. The chorus is short and very catchy, built of two five word sentences ('It all comes tumbeling down' and 'I just keep letting me down'), but the repeat chorus cuts it down to shorter sentences ('Letting me down' and 'Tumbeling down'). That makes the song all the more catchy and seductive, makes you want to sing and clap along. KST was composed by Anno himself, and is the song that plays during Third Impact. By singing along and clapping along, you 'give up your individualty' and become instead of a listener another singer, you join the group. Also, the singing and clapping makes you feel like you can't always tell your voice from the singers, and like Rei says, the Sea of LCL is an ambigious world, where you can't tell where you begin and others end.

Anno's a fricking genius, even if the methods he makes you become part of the show can really frighten you the moment you realize.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Cruel Angel Thesis Clip

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Legend of the Past wrote:Anno's a fricking genius, even if the methods he makes you become part of the show can really frighten you the moment you realize.

This was established long ago...
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:04 pm

I've been wondering if Misato is singing. I never troubled to search for the answer... :wink: :)
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:08 pm

Faußtin wrote:I've been wondering if Misato is singing. I never troubled to search for the answer... :wink: :)

Misato doesnt sing the theme Yoko Takahashi does, Misaot is Voiced by Kitono Mitsuishi

"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:I've been wondering if Misato is singing. I never troubled to search for the answer... :wink: :)

Misato doesnt sing the theme Yoko Takahashi does, Misaot is Voiced by Kitono Mitsuishi

Thanks. I found their voice quite similar, though now that I think of it, Yoko has a stronger and deeper voice as I recall.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:

Thanks. I found their voice quite similar, though now that I think of it, Yoko has a stronger and deeper voice as I recall.

well there is a version where Asuka, Rei, and Misato all sing it Its called Cruel Angels Thesis (san nin)

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:25 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:

well there is a version where Asuka, Rei, and Misato all sing it Its called Cruel Angels Thesis (san nin)

I've never heared of that one. Once I started to listen to the one where Megumi is singing the Thesis - after the first five seconds I stopped it. It was damn creepy. As if a mummy would have started to sing the Ode to Joy in a very depressed way. :S

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:

I've never heared of that one. Once I started to listen to the one where Megumi is singing the Thesis - after the first five seconds I stopped it. It was damn creepy. As if a mummy would have started to sing the Ode to Joy in a very depressed way. :S

well if you wanna hear it go to gendou.com

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:

I don't think so. Something tells me not to do so... :wink: :P
And yay for the longest quote I've ever seen. :D

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:

hUrray

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Faußtin wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:

hUrray

It looks like a room now. :lol: :wink:
/Hope Monkey will never see it... Though I know this is impossible... :wink: :lol: *childish giggle*/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Cruel Angel Thesis Clip

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:35 pm

Legend of the Past wrote:Hello everyone, I'm Legend of the Past. I hope to be active and enjoy things here, and be helpful in discussions to come.

I'm sure you know a similar thing happans with 'Komm, Susser Todd'. The song's clapping makes you want to clap along, and the repeating of the chorus at the end makes you sing along. The chorus is short and very catchy, built of two five word sentences ('It all comes tumbeling down' and 'I just keep letting me down'), but the repeat chorus cuts it down to shorter sentences ('Letting me down' and 'Tumbeling down'). That makes the song all the more catchy and seductive, makes you want to sing and clap along. KST was composed by Anno himself, and is the song that plays during Third Impact. By singing along and clapping along, you 'give up your individualty' and become instead of a listener another singer, you join the group. Also, the singing and clapping makes you feel like you can't always tell your voice from the singers, and like Rei says, the Sea of LCL is an ambigious world, where you can't tell where you begin and others end.

Anno's a fricking genius, even if the methods he makes you become part of the show can really frighten you the moment you realize.

You, sir, I are a genius as well! I didn't realize that! ^^; But did you ever see Anno's (translated) lyrics for Komm, Susser Tod and Everything You've Ever Dreamed ? Both are included in Refrian of Evangelion (which I just got the other day, yay! ^_^) and they're quite, uh, depressing, to say the least. (Not that songs adapted into English AREN'T when one really thinks about it.) For example, Everything You've Ever Dreamed:
"...I was happy to hurt her. Because I hurt her I now know heartache. Then, why are you alive? You should die. Die, die, die, die."
Also with Anno's lyrics to Komm Susser Tod, it mentions more about the Sea of LCL "where there are no others, where there is no pain" as well as the whole bit about "let's return to nothing".
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

apu
Embryo

What is the original source for the song "Thanatos"

•      
  •      

Postby apu » Sat May 15, 2010 1:19 pm

I love the track Thanatos from the OST (Volume II), but recently on youtube I found this: [url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=sAbMeMdpiys[/url]. which has a very similar tune being used in an X-Files episode.

Does anyone what the original source of the melody is? It seems too similar to just be a coincidence...

[P.S. this is my very first evageeks post! :sachi_blink: ]

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:58 pm

It could be that this piece was written before Evangelion and, when Evangelion was made, re-recorded the piece for the show. Where to get the original? Well, I'm not sure how...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 15, 2010 2:09 pm

The music in question was played in an episode of season 4 of X files. The season began running October 4, 1996. The "Thantos" theme in Evangelion was first released as a single October 25, 1995, necking ahead of X files out by almost a year.

Also, the X files theme only seems to be playing only part the harmony of the song. Never is the harmony every played in it's entirety and the melody heard in Evangelion is never heard at all in the X files series.

It's like playing the guitar chords of a Beach Boys song. It doesn't matter which one because they all sound exactly like each other.

apu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby apu » Sat May 15, 2010 2:13 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever: you rock!

It never even occurred to me that Eva might have been first...I guess because I remember watching X-Files when it was on tv back then, but I only watched Eva for the first time this month.

Darkman.exe213
Adam

Favorite version of Cruel Angel's Thesis

•      
  •      

Postby Darkman.exe213 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:47 am

As many of you probably know, there are countless versions of NGE's famous opening theme, Cruel Angel's Thesis.(Zankoku na Tenshi no THESIS) So which version of the opening is your favorite? This could either be by a well-known singer or a cover on YouTube.

Mine would have to be the acapella cover by Eri Kawai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuwko1ycNEc

I felt that the singer really captured the transcendent tone of the lyrics with her voice and pacing. May she continue singing like that in the afterlife. :sniffle:
Last edited by Darkman.exe213 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar: Eva Unit 01 fighting Omnimon (from Digimon), created using figures and legos.
-------
"Shounen yo shin wa ni nare...."

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:06 am

Well, I'd tell the truth and say 'the original' but that'd be borring so I'll go with the Ayanami Mix.

Edit: The actual name is [A.D. 2001 mix]
Last edited by berto on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not who you think I am.

soda7777777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby soda7777777 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 am

I'd have to say mine is the piano version on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBwtqNqE8Y

I also like the Violin duet version.
"If, by groupie, you mean someone who follows the band around and hangs out at all the gigs, then I don't really have any of those. Being in a band that does well is almost like being a girl. " - Paul Banks

BleedingCandy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BleedingCandy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:36 am

I really like almost all of them, but I have to admit this animetal version is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bm-nhnd0Nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkH5kT8r-WE <-- featuring some female singer O_o
Last edited by BleedingCandy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ze LKS and LKR fangirl, unf ~
Everybody/Shinji, because he's only allowed to be in the bottom.
Twitter: itschiyo

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”