Evangelion Platinum thin pack collection $90?!?!

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:18 pm

dude keep your platinum. It's the same as the thinpack but with the booklet and extras, etc. sure a lot of people think the extas suck. but I don't mind them.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Izzy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Izzy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:59 pm

I got the thin pack at Wal-Mart for $45! Now, I don't have the regular platinum editions, but then again, I am a person who cares little for the extras and the commentaries. I just wanted the remastered sound and visuals. Now the menus are not animated, which is fine by me, and they do come with the director's cuts...which is the last disc. There are no extras on this thin pack. I just didn't want to spen around $150 or so on the regular platinum when all I wanted was the remastered stuff. But if you want extras, then I suggest you get the regular platinum edition.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:34 am

I will definately buy this. The extra stuff means little to me. I want the better quality audio and video... Not all the extra stuff. But knowing me, I will probably collect the individual platinums AND the thinpack.

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 pm

My quest to find a reasonably priced Eva Platinum Thinpack has come to an end. My findings and results:

At first, I thought I would trade in my Perfect Collection at Anime Nation for $40 store credit and pay another $40 on top of that to get the Thinpack. Bad thing with this is, I would be losing my Perfect Collection, which still sells for over $100 new.

For further research I then went to Suncoast to see what they were selling the Thinpack for. They were selling it for a rather absurd price of $90. Totally out of the question.

I then saw that Amazon is selling it for $47. I thought this was the most reasonable price, and was about to order it from here. But first I wanted to check out the local Best Buy.
Now, there is a Wal-Mart next to the Best Buy near my college, and I went in out of curiousity, not expecting to find anything. And wouldn't you know it; I did find something. Wal-Mart is indeed selling the Platinum Thinpack for $47.
Needless to say, I bought it. Yes, it costs roughly just as much as Amazon, but here I didn't have to pay shipping or wait for it in the mail.

I then went in to Best Buy, and they also were selling the Platinum Thinpack(even though it is currently not listed on their website). Their price for it is $58.

All in all, I'm very happy how things turned out with this. I payed the same amount of money for the Thinpack at Wal-Mart as I would have if I had bought from Anime Nation, but with the Wal-Mart route I got to keep my Perfect Collection. Good stuff.

With my saved money, I bought Elfen Lied Vector 1 at Best Buy. I hope it's as good as I hear it is...

So there you have it.

A summary of what kind of Thinpack pricing you're going to see out there:
Amazon and Wal-Mart: $47
Best-Buy: $58
Anime Nation: $80
Suncoast: $90

rip3mwk
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:22 pm

Are there any incerts at all in the thinpak? What do the inside of the cases look like?

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:40 pm

There are no inserts. The Thinpack is purely the Platinum episodes; nothing more, and nothing less. If the Platinum episodes are all you are looking for(as they were for me), then this is right up your alley.

The cases are just thin black plastic. They do seem a bit flimsy, so be careful. Yet the outer cardboard box for the cases does seem pretty sturdy.

The DVD episodes per disc are as follows:

DVD1: Ep. 1-5
DVD2: Ep. 6-10
DVD3: Ep. 11-15
DVD4: Ep. 16-20
DVD5: Ep. 21-26
DVD6: Director's Cut of Ep. 21-24

I have been watching certain parts from episode to episode on this collection, and I must say that I am quite impressed. I have never seen a Platinum episode before today, and I am really enjoying the picture and audio remastering. Very well done.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:52 pm

What the hell, they included both the original and directors cut versions? What a waste of a disc.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:39 pm

How is that a waste of a disc? Would you rather not have the Director's Cut episode included? I mean, that route you're looking at another $16 to $20 to get the DC and Platinum Thinpack. I'm glad that the DC is in it, when I get the Platinum Thinpack I won't have to worry about forking out extra money for the DC disc (I know I know, they include the price of the DC in the Thinpack, but I'll be it's cheaper going that route.)

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 am

I'd rather they didn't include the original ones, if it has the DC versions.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”