Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

If You Like AMVs, Read This (and Weep)

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:54 pm

[url]http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/url]

I'd like to send a big FUCK YOU out to Evenescence, Creed, and Seether.
Done. Guarding.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:18 pm

If it's only those three, the world won't be missing much.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:23 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:If it's only those three, the world won't be missing much.

If this continues, it might actually force some AMV creators to employ a little creativity in song choice.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:26 pm

While I don't care too much about those artists, it does represent a considerable issue.

"The attorney replied that someone, most likely a fan, contacted them (either the record label or through the band’s web site) asking if the videos hosted here at the Org were created by the band."

Way to go unknown idiot fan.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Sheesh like these bands were being hurt by those AMV's .
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:24 pm

Probably not the bands themselves, but the record company that made them stop distributing the videos.
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:21 pm

It's interesting to see that AMVs have gotten mainstream enough to receive attention.

AnimeMusicVideos.org was always in a tough position, since they're basically offering free copyrighted songs for download with some video attached. There is unfortunately no room for "remix culture" among the same labels who made Vanilla Ice a star by remixing Queen, or MC Hammer by remixing Rick James.

Just another reason to support Creative Commons licensing.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:28 pm

Dinosaurs will die. 'Ts just a matter of time.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:53 pm

Seether was my favorite band a year ago, I loved them and they helped me with the really hard times in my life. I would go into my room and listen to Seether's lyrics and just cry my eyes out.

Now becasue of this, I lost respect for them. -.-

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:30 pm

TsubasaNoKoikokoro - Ooooh, ouch, burn.

That's bull. The fan that sent in that e-mail or whatever is an idiot... Considering that in the vast majority of AMVs, the person who makes the video CREDITS THEMSELVES. Like it's that hard. If Evanescence made the AMV, the production values would be hella good and of course, it would say the band's name at the end or the beginning... Probably both.

The only AMVs that actual bands have made that I know of is the Daft Punk album "Discovery" and "Breaking the Habit" by Linkin Park.

I can understand their concern though... Which is the sad part.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:32 am

Evanescence is one of my favorite bands. I don't listen to the other two though. but man I can't believe AMVs are being taken down and not made by those artists because the songs are copyrighted. like AMVs must be getting really popular.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:18 am

As long as Rammstein doesn't pull this, I think we'll be a-ok.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:46 am

That's what makes me glad, The Offspring don't get bent out of shape over internet piracy. Infact, I looked up some of their history (after hearing about this a while ago) and found some rather unique situations that they found themselves in over internet piracy...

1998: An MP3 file of “Pretty Fly (for a White Guy),“ from the band‘s yet-to-be-released Americana album is downloaded a record 22 million times over a 10-week period, landing it the #1 spot on Rolling Stone‘s Top Pirated Internet Songs chart.

2000: The group is hit with a cease-and-desist order from file-sharing service Napster after offering T-shirts sporting the company‘s famed logo for sale on the band‘s website. The band defends its actions, claiming they were simply “sharing“ the logo with fans.

The band spawns more controversy when they decide to offer their new album Conspiracy Of One free of charge via the Internet prior to its initial November release date. Fans downloading the record were automatically registered in a contest to be awarded $1,000,000 directly from the band (live on MTV) on the day of the album‘s release. Fans who go on to buy the record are awarded membership in the Offspring Nation digital fan club, receiving exclusive downloads of unreleased material, advance ticket sales, guarded chats with the band and more. Sony Music doesn‘t agree and threatens a lawsuit. The band avoids the lawsuit by making individual singles available on their official website and MTV Online. “The reality is this album will end up on the Internet whether we want it to or not,“ Holland tells the L.A. Times. “So we thought, ‘Why don‘t we just do it ourselves?‘ We‘re not afraid of the Internet. We think it‘s a very cool way to reach our fans.”

(Thanks to www.offspring.com for the information)

From these past actions, I don't think I'll have to worry about making Offspring AMVs, that's good for me since about 75% of my AMVs have Offspring songs in them.

And no, AMVs aren't as mainstream as you guys might think. Mind you, someone had to inform the bands about AMVs before they realized what was going on. We would have been able to keep using their songs had that "fan" not messaged the bands.

I only see two things happening really, either more and more record companies and bands get in AMV creator's faces about this (much like oh... Napster and any other P2P service) or it'll just sort of sit as it is.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:11 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:While I don't care too much about those artists, it does represent a considerable issue.

"The attorney replied that someone, most likely a fan, contacted them (either the record label or through the band’s web site) asking if the videos hosted here at the Org were created by the band."

Way to go unknown idiot fan.

How about we find him and beat him up?

Now becasue of this, I lost respect for them. -.-

I reacted the same way when Nightwish kicked Tarja from the band - but it turned out that their actions were justified, after all.

I don't really know about this, though.
Asuka > Rei

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:24 pm

...There were AMVs of Creed songs? Damnation!
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Yeah I read that a while back.

It is a little concerning but instead of getting pissed at the bands, get pissed at the record label of those bands. They are the ones requesting this and not necessarily the bands themselves.

As far as the Org is concerned, the site would most likely revert to just a catalogued site if more of this were to occur. Hopefully it does not but it won't stop me from creating AMVs. I make them for me and not the Org.

Some people on that thread also had good points about more serious editors continuing to create and find other ways to share their work.
Alex D.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:55 am

What I don't get, is that Creed is no longer together. Why do they care?
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:30 am

rb_182_ wrote:What I don't get, is that Creed is no longer together. Why do they care?

...because the record label still gets money from any of their past albums being sold. Creed probably doesn't care but the label that owns their music still does.
Alex D.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:58 am

oh yeah, right. thanks for clearing that up
Rei goes insane!!~~

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:33 am

rb_182_ wrote:oh yeah, right. thanks for clearing that up

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35350#35350

Or thanks to me. Sometimes it feels like noone can see my posts. ;_;
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Return to “Anime and Manga”