Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:48 pm

@AchtungAffen
I had the boxing kangaroo, and curry episodes in mind when I warned about the occasional weak one. And while the movie had its moments (like the dance in the rose garden), and is pretty, it really isn't up to the standard of the series.

@Six Winged Angel
Having just rewatched Elfen Lied ep#1, I observed that it's just the first 7m30s after the OP that contain the sustained gore, not the whole first half-episode.

@rb_182_
There are quite a few more twists to come yet, in the last 3 episodes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:54 pm

I can say this much about Elfen Lied.... I loved it. I have the first 14 episodes, but I can only watch episodes 1-4, + 8 and 12... the rest are damiged.... Oh well...

The gore, the power and the nudiity, how can one go wrong... More of a character drivin piece of anime than Eva if you ask me, but then again, I'm just one man and an opinion..
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:03 am

Oh I fully agree. It's way more character driven. Evangelion has so much other stuff in it like the Evas, angels, etc. Elfen Lied is pretty much nonstop character story.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:39 am

Trying to stop this being something other than the Elfen Lied recommendation thread...

Shnooks wrote:Okay, so I gotta explain why I liked Planetes? Makes sense. I'll try to tell it without getting into too much detail

Okay, well, Planetes takes place in the year 2075. People travel through space, to the moon and back...

I've not (yet) seen tha anime - the first disk is waiting in my "in tray", though.

I discovered the manga first, though Amazon's sometimes useful recommendations service, and I thought it was great - the sort of thing that a young Arthur C. Clarke would have written, if he had 50 years' foreknowledge. While the end of vol3/start of vol4 seemed to start to drift off into softer stuff, the manga as a whole was some of the best SF I've read in years.

I just hope it makes the transition between media ok.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:01 am

I'm watching planetes, I'm on ep 19 and I really love it. Guess I should check the manga then.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:00 pm

Well, I should make the obligatory Naruto post. As if you guys couldn't tell from the avatar, I love this show. In a way, I think this can be traced to the fact that I can identify with Naruto, in a way. I must have felt the pain he felt at one point or another in my life... loneliness, trying to fit in, trying to be noticed... it's stuff like that that makes the dramatic parts more memorable, the comedic parts funnier (episode 45, Naruto fighting Kiba in the Chuunin selection exams... and one fart you'll never forget... :twisted: ) and the action that much better. And Gaara is to Naruto what Samuel L. Jackson is to movies... one bad-ass motherfucker. But can Samuel L. Jackson use sand as a weapon? :twisted: Words can't describe how I think Naruto symbolizes everything that's good about anime: great storyline, great characters, and a great seriocomic balance.

And don't believe the Narutards: the English dub is pretty decent. Then again, I think that the 4-door Dodge Charger is sexy and that Van Halen was better with Sammy Hagar. I like unpopular opinions. Just try it before you knock it.
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Ion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ion » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:33 pm

TexhnolyzE
Age rating: Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence)
Genres: Drama, Psychological, Science Fiction

Plot Summary: In a man-made underground society, descendants of a banished generation vie for control of the crumbling city of Lux. Ichise, an orphan turned prize fighter, loses a leg and an arm to satisfy an enraged fight promoter. On the brink of death he is taken in by a young woman doctor and used as a guinea pig for the next evolution of Texhnolyze. With his new limbs, Ichise is taken under the wing of Oonishi, a powerful leader of Organ, an organization with some hold on Lux. As Ichise is drawn deeper into a war for territorial control of the city, he learns of his possible future from the young girl prophet Ran, who guides him from the shadows in his darkest times. With the explosion of the warfare, Ichise must uncover the truth about Lux and fight for his survival as he realizes his destiny.

review taken from Anime News Network

From myself I can add that it is deep philosophical movie made in a very strange way.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:51 am

Ion wrote:From myself I can add that it is deep philosophical movie made in a very strange way.

It's another title with ABe's involvement (like Serial Experiments Lain, or Haibane Renmai) so that is not surprising.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:49 pm

Yeah Lain was a very deep anime. I kinda understand it but there is lots of talk about 'god' and how a god is only a god if he has people that worship him as a god. it's good stuff.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:40 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Elfen Lied

I finished it last night, and this is the most emotionally moving anime I've seen yet. Yes, thinking back, many parts of it were cliche, but the difference is that it was executed so well. Everything came together perfectly and left me extremely satisfied in the end. I thought the OVA was going to be a gimmick, like the Love Hina movies or Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. However it became a nice addition to fill that gap of how Nana comes to terms with Lucy/Nyuu.

My only question is that:

SPOILER: Show
In the end, would Lucy still have her split personalities? I want to assume, seeing that she has come to terms with her feelings and relationship with Kouta, she could rid of the Nyuu personality because it masked her deep thoughts and feelings, allowing her to live under the roof without conflict(s).

I would change to a Lucy avatar, but there's three already in these forums. Maybe a Nana avatar would do. :3

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:32 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Elfen Lied

I agree. Nice review, by the way.

The only problem I had was... The ending credits music.
I mean, for a series in which every episode ends on a dark, depressing, or sinister note, it seems to be a rather poor choice to have chosen an up-beat pop song to roll at the end credits. Especially when the intro music and the music throughout the series was so fitting.
Each time the ending credits ran it had me racing for either my mute button or the chapter skip button in an attempt to save the mood the ending of the episode left with me.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:04 pm

Heidroch wrote:Each time the ending credits ran it had me racing for either my mute button or the chapter skip button in an attempt to save the mood the ending of the episode left with me.

I feel the same way with Eva after some episodes. Episode 18 comes to mind. Damn do the credits clash with Megumi's scream.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:34 pm

Off-topic warning.

Digitalex wrote:The Italian gov't takes abandoned/orphaned 10-14 year old (?) girls and rehabs them. They are enhanced physically as well as brainwashed. They are then paired with a handler, an older male that trains and watches over them. They are known as Fratellos and run dirty work missions for the gov't.

Reminds me of this.

I don't think that article states that most of the 'subjects' were children in the same age range as you specified, but they were. Sick that this abuse should happen at all, even now.

On-topic warning.

I would highly recommend the anime title: Gasaraki

Here is a short review:

An obscure anime reviewer wrote:Japan is in production of a new piloted robot to be used for combat. That doesn't sound too exciting, but it gets better. The Gowa family, which is also the name of the company that produces the Tactical Armors, is keeping their eyes on Yushiro Gowa, the youngest son of the Gowa family and also one of the pilots of the TAs. However, he serves another role in helping the Gowa family try to resurrect an ancient monster known as the Gasaraki that used in before in ancient Japan. Gowa is forced to try and summon this power by performing a dance on sacred ground, but ends up failing. After that, politics get in the way and the Tactical Armor squad is sent out to fight in the middle-east. Once an organization by the name of Symbol shows up in the middle-east with similar goals as Gowa, the plot gets even deeper.

This is probably one of the most serious mecha shows I've ever seen that also has a huge amount of mythology, philosophy and international politics involved with the story. The series also features a lot of characters each serving a purpose whether it's taking action or doing their role behind the scenes of the events taking place. The Gowa family alone is composed of about seven characters each with their own ambitions on how they would like to see things play out. For instance, the oldest brothers in the family wants to completely take over the Gowa company in order to reform Japan's economy while another brother only follows in the path of his oldest to continue his research on the ancient machinery that begin popping up later on.

However, the main story is focused on Yushiro Gowa and Miharu, a test pilot similar to Yushiro who pilots a machine similar to the Tactical Armors for Symbol. These two experiences a Romeo-Juliet relationship which one member of Symbols believes is key to releasing the Gasaraki. There are also a lot of issues that get addressed in this series that surprised me. Nashita, a blind elder who seems to know what he is talking about, pushes the oldest Gowa brother, Kiyoharu, into pursuing his goals of cleansing Japan. He states that the reason the economy is beginning to slip is because more and more illegal immigrants are flooding into the country resulting in ghettos. Things only get worse when the annual crop report from the stock market comes in resulting in a mass riot.

The show slips in and out political affairs and the issue surrounding the history of the ancient power known as the Gasaraki. The two subjects seem to weigh evenly since they each get the right amount of air time and are separated between episodes in order to not confuse the viewer too much. One of the interesting things about Gasaraki was that the show has a bit of political satire in it. When the Tactical Armors are sent out, they get sent to a country called Belgistan which, ironically, the president looks a bit like Saddam Hussein. Animation wise, the backgrounds are very detailed, the characters have realism to them and the mecha has some logic to their design. The music, in terms of originality, pretty much ends after the opening and closing tracks as most of the music is public domain tracks that many TV series use.

Gasaraki is a huge grab-bag of mystery, politics, mythology and emotion that all come together in an interesting brew. For those who are expecting magical powers or city demolishing battles, you will be disappointed with this series. However, if you're looking for a good story that will have you constantly thinking about what will happen next, Gasaraki may be for you. Overall, I found Gasaraki's themes very believable, it's pacing perfect and it's plot unmatched.

Pros: Layered story; excellent plot; lots of interesting characters to relate to; interesting mythology; real issues.

Cons: Music could have had more originality; the story may bore some people; character's faces seemed a bit flat.

Unfortunatly Gasaraki is much overlooked by the anime community, not many sites have been made around it and many of the plotlines that run throughout the show are not discussed on many messageboards nowadaze. For these reasons I provide a link to the offical ADV Gasaraki site: Here

Image Image
Image Image

Some images :wink:
Last edited by Zuggy on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:46 pm

Other than brainwashing, I don't really see much in common between the Fratellos and MK-ULTRA.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:30 am

ok today's the day, I'll go and watch the whole elfen lied with 2 friends of mine :P *a paladin casts his goods*
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:54 am

@Six Winged Angel
Well, let us know how it went.

@Zugzwang
Gasaraki is one of those titles I felt I ought to like, but it never quite engaged me enough. I watched the first DVD and was still at a point of "Who are these people and why should I care?".

Oh, and regarding interlocked posts - reference to previously available information is just classical cause and effect, and is available to everyone. You'll have to try harder to get your membership of the Knights and Companions of the Eastern Calculus :wink:

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:55 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Gasaraki is one of those titles I felt I ought to like, but it never quite engaged me enough. I watched the first DVD and was still at a point of "Who are these people and why should I care?".

I can understand that, the characters can seem a bit flat at first perhaps, but as the series plunges deeper into each of the character's pasts and their motivations it becomes more moving. But everyone does keep to themselves. The slow pace of the series may also contribute to the characters seeming "flat" as well, thinking about it.

Mr. Tines wrote:Oh, and regarding interlocked posts - reference to previously available information is just classical cause and effect, and is available to everyone. You'll have to try harder to get your membership of the Knights and Companions of the Eastern Calculus :wink:

I'm not affiliated with any groups. As more time unfolds it will become clearer to me what exactly is going on and how it is all interconnected (even if it is hyperdimensionally).

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:37 pm

My semester is going to be over with next week. Once I finish my finals, I plan on catching up with several DVD's that are collecting dust on my shelves: Samurai Champloo volumes 1-3 and Tenjho Tenge volume 1. I'm more than familiar with those series- I watched several episodes of each in my anime club- so this should be treading familiar territory. If anyone wants reviews, I'll post some up when I get to them. 8)
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:18 pm

A good anime show...
Well I know the only full series that do own (at this time) is Nightwalker.

This is a cool anime its got 12 episodes though :( wish there could be more but w/e. Its about a Vampire detective named Shido. Shido goes around and kills other creatures of the night called nightbreeds. Nightbreeds posses people and eat human flesh and Shido being a human lover kills em (Isn't that nice of him) The story is pretty interesting it has a few slow episodes (what show doesnt) but the last episode is the very best and the shock value is like ZOMG I JUST SHAT MYSELF!
Heres Riho (little sidekick sorta thingy (shes pissed in this pic)
http://www.thedvdvampire.com/images/vampires/nightwalker-eternal-darkness-riho.jpg
Heres shido
http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/shidonomiko/image01.jpg
If you get this I hope you enjoy. Being the fool i was i bought the specail english edition which has both discs (6 eps each) for $20 indead of buying the two normal discs for $20 each. Now that sounds like a deal but... english edition doesnt have any specail features, or Japanese dub. If you dont care about that go right on ahead and get it then.
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:18 pm

I really not well known anime that i enjoy immensly would have to be Earthian. It's about these two angels Chihaya and Kagetsuya who have been sent by Eden to judge humanity to see whether we live or die. Chihaya is an angel with natural dark hair and wings. This is not natural. Kagetsuya is an angel with normal hair and wings, this causes conflict among the two. the anime was the 4 best stories from the manga and they got animated. the manga and anime were both exellent, the music and artwork are beautiful. here are some pics....
sorry they are really big

http://animepa.csusm.edu/galleries/C-E/ ... /drink.jpg

http://animepa.csusm.edu/galleries/C-E/ ... /trink.jpg
Last edited by Evangelionfreak on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Return to “Anime and Manga”