Evangelion:World, Featuring a Full-Size Bust of Unit 01

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Evangelion:World, Featuring a Full-Size Bust of Unit 01

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:25 pm

And it looks like they're doing a survey on which Eva unit people would like to see the most. You can vote for Unit 00, 01, 02, 03, or 05.

Now, the fact that this is supposed to be "full-size" raises an important question: which full size?
Last edited by NAveryW on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Something tells me Yui-sama will win, hands down. But we'll see.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:55 pm

It was bound to happen eventually.

I would vote for Unit-02.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:55 pm

I have to see this.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Have they seen what happens on the show? I think this is a bad idea haha.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: They're Planning on Building a Full-Size Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:[Now, the fact that this is supposed to be "full-size" raises an important question: which full size?

Rebuild obviously.

And no there is no ambiguity at all for the Rebuild Eva size

http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:Eva_scale_rebuild.jpg
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:And no there is no ambiguity at all for the Rebuild Eva size

Oh, there you go again, corrupting innocent minds towards your ideal that Rebuild Evas don't size-shift based on an image I'm not sure you've identified the actual context of usage for... Sigh.

And the context doesn't matter anyway, because Rebuild Evas are still 40m-ish tall when they're Caged, hence "still no consistent size", hence "hoverboards are real".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:because Rebuild Evas are still 40m-ish tall when they're Caged

Prove it. Seriously. I'm getting really tired of people using 40m without any proof at all. None. Ever.

The one and only bit of official Eva sizing data is for 80m.

As for context, is it really not that obvious? With the massive amount of 3DCG in Rebuild there's a model for pretty much everything and that image is the basic reference for keeping the in-computer scales consistent.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Baw, I was hoping the Eva statue would be 80 meters. Ten meters isn't nearly as fun.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Prove it. Seriously. I'm getting really tired of people using 40m without any proof at all. None. Ever.

I did the work for it a long time ago. (Maybe the thread is still around somewhere.) We knew Misato's height, so I figured out approximately how tall she was compared to Caged Eva-01, then mapped that onto an image of Eva-01 at full height to figure out approximately how tall the Evas are when caged. Results aren't going to be perfect, obviously, but I did figure out that they're in their lower height range.

Eva-01's caged size hasn't changed in Rebuild to match the number you keep on peddling. If it did, we sure as hell would have noticed, because she would be HUGE (twice as big as we've come to expect from those scenes). I would suggest doing a mockup of Misato relative to a 80m-tall Eva, to get a sense of the hugeness, before continuing to believe that Rebuild Evas do NOT in fact contract and expand depending on their environments.

It doesn't strike me as a terribly huge deal that they still do, so why you make so much ado over one production image (that doesn't actually prove what you want it to prove) is beyond me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Now, the fact that this is supposed to be "full-size" raises an important question: which full size?

So long as it's bigger than last year's Gundam...

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:55 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:so why you make so much ado over one production image (that doesn't actually prove what you want it to prove) is beyond me.

My main problem is that you put your own interpretation and analysis of what you see on screen, above official material made specifically for the purpose of answering the question.

Trying to figure out the size from the film frame is plain and simply stupid. Not only will there be too much error from persepective and paralax issues and whatever other human error from the measurements, but most importantly the artistic composition of the image has the final say. Yes on screen there will be some variaton, but for all intents and purposes the official size is 80m. That's what the official "information bible" for the film says and from there it spreads: that's what an earlier gigazine article linked in the OP post mentions, and the 1m tall Medicom Eva is sometimes advertised as 1/80 scale. Is it really that hard to accept that Anno and Khara actually WANT consistensy?

And really? "doesn't actually prove what you want it to prove"?

You know more moonspeak than I do and you ignore the comment on the image? Even bablefish is enough.

フォルム設定に10mごとのグリッドを入れた、対比。
The forms set into a grid of 10m per contrast.

画像は庵野秀明が使用していたものだ、ビルの階層や自動車・電車の大きさも記してある。
Image is what was used by Hideaki Anno, also noted the size of the train car and the level of the building.

Also the next page (252) under the views of the 3DCG model of Eva-01.

本田雄、庵野秀明らの監修のもとに作成された。
Was created under the supervision of Takeshi Honda, Hideaki Anno.

Takeshi Honda drew the Rebuild lineart (page 251), the lineart which Anno pasted over the 10m grid lower on the same page.

Hideaki Anno - 1
random person on the internet wasting time counting pixels in a screenshot - 0

But if you still want to believe you're more correct than the people that actually made the product, go right ahead, more power to you. I won't waste any more of mine and your time on this non-issue.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I think Unit 01 will end up winning being build since it's the most popular Eva unit afterall. IIRC The eva units are 80 meters tall, and seeing one getting made would make it bigger then the Showa Godzilla? God thing is going to be big.

They should do a life size Arc-Gurren Lagann next lol.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Unit 01 and 02, definitely. Enough said.

Lui
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lui » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Honestly, successful as Eva is, I can't see them building a life-size (as in 80m) high Evangelion, cool as it would be.

Anyway, Unit 01 is going to win this poll hands down.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm

View Original PostLui wrote:Honestly, successful as Eva is, I can't see them building a life-size (as in 80m) high Evangelion, cool as it would be.

It's not as if this is the first life-size robot Japan has ever built. Knowing how persistent the Japanese are, it will be done, and it will be done amazingly.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

@TMB: I think you've let a bit too much hostility seep into this "non-issue". Behaving in a manner that leads the other party to perceive you as antagonistic is one of the best ways to hijack what might otherwise bring them to your side without much of a hitch. This can be a two-sided process, of course (and tends to feed itself). I thought I would mention it for possibly mutual benefit.

I don't consider my original pixel-counting endeavor a waste of time, since the result I got was in fact consistent with an official statistic. Not to mention, it didn't really take that long. (And, yes, perspective and etc. etc. was very much on my mind.)

I get the feeling that I've pressed your "somebody assaulting the honor and integrity of animators" berserk button, so that's it from me... until I waste my time at some point figuring out how big the caged Eva-01 is in 1.0, and doing a comparative mockup of Eva-01 at "official" Rebuild dimensions... just because somebody has to do it, for the lulz if nothing else.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

View Original PostLui wrote:Honestly, successful as Eva is, I can't see them building a life-size (as in 80m) high Evangelion, cool as it would be.

Anyway, Unit 01 is going to win this poll hands down.

They built a life-size Gundam, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:52 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:They built a life-size Gundam, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.
The life-size Gundam was 18 meters, or about 59 feet. Eighty meters would be over 262 feet, almost 4.5 times the size of the Gundam.

Also,
View Original Postcyharding wrote:It was always wissin za raelm of possibility.
Fixed.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:34 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:They built a life-size Gundam, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

So, the rumors were right. OFF TO Japan!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”