References to molecular biology/genetics in Eva

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:35 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:But I think that diagram on the floor is some kind of wacky religious extract anyway (Zuggy identified it somewhere... I think...), so "subliminal zone" wouldn't need to have the most credible origins, so to speak. :tongue:

The diagram was from some sort of Vedic astrology, unfortunately, Zuggy wiped his post when he rage quit, so there's not much more available to it anymore.

I don't really think that can be tied to biology at all.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:10 am

Gendou: Our project of reviving Adam, commonly called Project E.
This is the model of the project, called Eva Unit Zero.

Fuyutsuki: The prototype of a GOD?

Gendou: Fuyutsuki, let's make a new era of humanity together with me.

I recall this line dubbed as "evolution has taken us this far"

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 pm

View Original PostTheLobe wrote:I recall this line dubbed as "evolution has taken us this far"
I don't believe this is the case in the English Dub. Perhpas you're referring to anoher dub.

Gendo does have similar lines though; excatly when escapes me however. Though there is a theme of evolution and its limits in the series. Most obviously discussed in episode #13, with the Angel Ireul, but also comes up during the End of Evangelion.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Gendo does have similar lines though; excatly when escapes me however.

Bochan_bird translated one of Gendo's lines during the Seele meeting in EoE as "humanity must evolve into a new world" or something, but the verb in question (susumu, 進む) just means "advance" or "proceed", and AFAIK doesn't refer to "evolving" as such. That would be 進化する (shinka suru).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:23 am

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:As an Evangelion fan, I'm fascinated on what you presented here...
Never knew the design of the Lance...
As for number 4 on the list, O_o :dizzy:

I actually stated the lance part a long time ago, and everyone in this forum didn't care. And of course they're made out of amino acids, the law of microbiology is the same through our universe. [/i]

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:54 am

Oh man when I saw this thread I immediately thought "Pribnow Box!" But now I see it was in the first post.... Its the room Iruel breaks into and uses to hack into the MAGI, displaying accelerated evolution. Something I always thought interesting:

The Pribnow box is an A-T rich sequence (TATAAT) located 10 base pairs upstream from the start site for transcription. This sequence is involved in the initial recognition of the promoter by RNA polymerase.

The AT-richness is important to allow this separation, since adenine and thymine are easier to break apart (not due to the hydrogen bond count.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Tycho
Embryo

Re: References to molecular biology/genetics in Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Tycho » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:51 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Here's the "inherent wave pattern" of Gaghiel:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/images/d/df/OP_C076_big.jpg

This is what we call a karyotype. That one is a verbatim copy from a human karyotype (compare the shape and length of the chromosomes to this for example: https://www.sanger.ac.uk/HGP/gfx/karyotype_Homo_sapiens.png) You have two sets of homologous chromosomes, each comes from one parent (that would be why we have the same set in the left half and the right half of the screen). The most peculiar part is that there is both an X and Y chromosome. Making it a male. There's also two Y chromosomes which doesn't make sense if we are seeing homologous pairs.

It could also be that what we see is the human genome against which the "wave pattern" of the angel was compared.

*In Ep13 they talk about Sigma Unit, where pribnow box is, that it will be sealed. The Sigma subunit is involved in starting genetic transcription (remember, transcription is part of the Central Dogma.)
Ritsuko orders some "polysomes": polysomes are clusters of ribosomes translating some RNA.

*(Terminal dogma was just made up.)

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:30 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:[wkimg]File:15 gendo dummy chamber.jpg[/wkimg]

The writing is something along the lines of "SUB_______ ZONE". And in #25', we're shown a little more (though it's difficult to spot)

[wkimg]File:M25 gendo dummy chamber.jpg[/wkimg]

So the phrase is along the lines of "SUB____VAL ZONE"

Couldn't it be an R, making it "SURVIVAL"?
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”