The iPad

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

The iPad

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:38 pm

What are your thoughts on the new iPad?
Will you be getting one?
Do you own one?

====
I think I'll stick with my iPod Touch.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

As I hate Apple, I think the iPad is just a blown up version of the iTouch. (Isn't it better if you get around 8 iTouch and synchronise them together)
And the iPad is too much of a compromise. It is a iTouch that is like a touch screen capable lap top (Toshiba, Sony will be better...) but not quite able to do the same thing as a lap top, and the best use of the iPad for me, will be to put scanned doujinshi, or manga onto it (which I will never do, as I prefer paper over degital format)

In conclusion, get a cheap, toush screen lap top from Sofmap in Akihabara (if you are living in Japan, that is)
I feel old

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:08 pm

I gave up on iPads a long time ago. Too bulky. I'm not ready for Depends just yet.

Wait... what?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Anything that locks you in to the Apple Store is evil. If it ever runs Linux then I might consider purchasing it.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Its only good for making salsa. Nothing else. Nothing.

It can't even play bloons.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm

I'd rather just... have a laptop.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:56 pm

iPad cannot play visual novel/eroge. FINAL.
I feel old

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Add multitasking, SD-Card + USB supprt, and maybe a useable keypad that'll fold over and protect the screen.... maybe you got a deal mate. I can see the advantages of a tablet computer, especially with decent touch support... but the iPad is just too simplified, too idiotproof and too locked down.

I've an iPod touch, and just amn't the greatest fan of the thing.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Not worth it. My friend has one and hates it, and I've used his and IMO it was meh. I prefer the feel of printed literature anyway.

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:iPad cannot play visual novel/eroge. FAIL.

FIXED.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

^ Indeed.
(And if I remember correctly, these things cannot show .gif animations)
I feel old

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:01 pm

What need is the iPad meant to fulfill, again?
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:11 pm

quarterly 'must have' item on apple's evil catalog.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 pm

If an iPad was meant to be a small laptop in which I could type school notes on (quickly, like on a full-sized keyboard), organize my to-do list and homework assignments, and the other things standard iProducts have (music, pictures, etc), then I may consider buying this since it would be great for school.

However, since it does not look like this is the case, I'll stick with my iTouch.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 pm

TouchOSC is the only thing I've seen that could make me want an iPad. And even then, I could get it for my iPhone, albeit on a smaller screen.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Are you all opposing the iPad right now BECAUSE IT IS EXPENSIVE and it's NOT WORTH IT RIGHT NOW but will be later, or do you just not like the idea of a huge touch pad computer in general? Stuff like, "What need is the iPad meant to fulfill, again?" suggests the latter, as if you guys have "had enough" with technological advancements or something. Like an itouch is "all I need." I own nothing electronic but a keyboardless cell phone, video camera, graphics calculator, and the computer that I am on now, but even I can see the immediate worth in something like an iPad over an itouch (or whatever). Indeed, I WANT.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm

View Original Postplanet news wrote:Are you all opposing the iPad right now BECAUSE IT IS EXPENSIVE and it's NOT WORTH IT RIGHT NOW

Nope. Printed books still rock hard IMO. Can't beat the feeling of a paper page in one's hand, and how cool having the complete works of Vonnegut or Sartre or Murakami sitting on your bookshelf.

Same thing with movies. I could torrent it, but waking up every morning facing my "shelf of honor" with my favorite films is oh so clutch.

Furthermore, when I want to lend a friend of mine one of my novels, I can just grab a book off a shelf and give it to them. With an iPad, you'd have to give them the hardware, and no man in his right mind would do that. There's another flaw: IPADS ARE ENCOURAGING CAPITALISM. Goddamn you, Apple. :lol:

Stuff like, "What need is the iPad meant to fulfill, again?" suggests the latter, as if you guys have "had enough" with technological advancements or something.

I've got no problems with the status quo, bro.

Like an itouch is "all I need." I own nothing electronic but a keyboardless cell phone, video camera, graphics calculator, and the computer that I am on now, but even I can see the immediate worth in something like an iPad over an itouch (or whatever).

That is pretty much my situation right now, and I see no value in one, FWIW.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:03 pm

I actually tell most people I "hate technology" but I don't. I just can't get my hands on any and that's my excuse. Makes me feel "authentic".

View Original Postran1 wrote:Same thing with movies. I could torrent it, but waking up every morning facing my "shelf of honor" with my favorite films is oh so clutch.

I WANT.

All I have are a bunch of cold, jpeg artifacted mkvs! Get real!
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm

I don't understand all the hate for the iPad. It's the nicest cutting board I've ever seen.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”