Main Encyclopedia Name

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

I'll look into changing the Mediawiki installation to alter the page titles accordingly, as well as the default names for the project. As I look at it, the Navigation toolbox also need some alteration.

It should of course be noted that in addition to these changes, placement on search engines is determined by quality, which is measured in part by the number of incoming links, which is related the the number of page views, which is linked to how easy it is to find content, which brings us back to the navigation issue, which is for another thread.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm

My main problem is that incorporating "Evangelion" into the main page title becomes rather cumbersome (and, as EvaMonkey's own site demonstrates, getting high Google rankings doesn't seem to rely solely on "title of subject must be title of page"). Is there any way to call the Wiki portion of the site "EvaGeeks Wiki" while maintaining relevance? Use "Evangelion" in a subtitle, maybe?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:37 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:It should of course be noted that in addition to these changes, placement on search engines is determined by quality, which is measured in part by the number of incoming links, which is related the the number of page views, which is linked to how easy it is to find content

This is a misconception. You would be surprised how much your own titles and content matters.

Reichu wrote:Is there any way to call the Wiki portion of the site "EvaGeeks Wiki" while maintaining relevance? Use "Evangelion" in a subtitle, maybe?

You can, but after your actual URL, page title is the most important. Not putting your main keyword in your title attribute is tantamount to giving Google the finger. You do not want to do that, it matters a lot. If you're not going to put "evangelion" and "wiki" into your parent page title, for the love of all that is holy, include it in the title of the index itself, for example:

Eva Geeks Wiki | an Evangelion Wiki

You can ultimately call it whatever you want, but you really need to seed in those keywords. Page ranks are important to us. We want to attract new people with new ideas and new perspectives, and we won't do that if people don't find us on the front page of Google for the search terms they input.

I wouldn't change the URL. People type urls. We want to keep them simple and easy.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:56 pm

I've finally figured out how to make the required changes (It was rather straightforward actually). I've changed the name of the entire installation to "EvaWiki". This now appears at the bottom of every page, including commentary pages.

In addition, I've changed the code for the page titles. Normal wiki pages will now have the title
[code:1]
PAGENAME - EvaWiki - An Evangelion Wiki - EvaGeeks.org
[/code:1]
e.g. Shinji's page has the title: "Shinji - EvaWiki - An Evangelion Wiki - EvaGeeks.org"

Possible a bit verbose, but there you go.

However, the system is flexible enough that commentary pages can have different title. Commentary pages now have titles of the form
[code:1]
PAGENAME - The Evangelion Commentary Project - EvaGeeks.org
[/code:1]
e.g. The Episode 01 page has the title: "FGC:Episode 01 - The Evangelion Commentary Project - EvaGeeks.org"

The system is fairly flexible an easy to edit, so if people have any suggestions, it may even be possible to implement them!
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”