Rei Ayanami

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:12 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:fix'd for teh justice

Seeing as this is fiction and her entire being is dictated by plot devices... she basically is a walking plot device machine for the story. Even the creators seem to have forgotten she existed in the anime, and even in the manga which is supposedly more "Rei centric", she is practically written out till she is needed to move the plot in a direction.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:48 pm

View Original PostBattleMonkey wrote:Rei is not a person, she is a plot device.
She's just as much a metaphoric device. What I love about Rei is that somehow Anno seemed to stuff every relevant theme in the series into her character in some way or another. In that respect, she's probably the richest metaphoric character I've ever encountered in visual fiction.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:51 pm

View Original PostBattleMonkey wrote:Seeing as this is fiction and her entire being is dictated by plot devices... she basically is a walking plot device machine for the story. Even the creators seem to have forgotten she existed in the anime, and even in the manga which is supposedly more "Rei centric", she is practically written out till she is needed to move the plot in a direction.

thus I pity her for that exact reason
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 pm

At what point do we see Rei advance the plot? She's privy to it, and reacts to it, but never really ADVANCES it. With the exception of EoE, this does not occur.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:At what point do we see Rei advance the plot? She's privy to it, and reacts to it, but never really ADVANCES it. With the exception of EoE, this does not occur.

Seeing that she basically was tossed to the side early on and only really was used as a machine to fight angels pretty much from then on. Angel, try to blow yourself up, fail. Oh no, angel, kill it with lance..... oh no, angel.... kill it by blowing self up *shock* clones *crying*. EOE deus ex machina lol Gendo. Her appearances pretty much just are used as shock devices or to reveal the more "mysteries" of the show while we are hammered to death with the obviousness of who she is meant to represent. The penguin had more voice acting than Rei did.

Only in Rebuild has she been given any real character as shes not tossed into a corner after the sniping operation scenario.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:44 pm

well...there's this one person you can blame for Rei getting the shaft in the series...

:shifty:
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:23 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:well...there's this one person you can blame for Rei getting the shaft in the series...

Oh, I think I know who you are refering to... :wink:

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:At what point do we see Rei advance the plot? She's privy to it, and reacts to it, but never really ADVANCES it. With the exception of EoE, this does not occur.

No one advances the plot in NGE; every action taken (with the exception of Gendo's and Seele's) is purely reactionary. Angels come, so the kids fight them. This isn't something like Gurren Lagann, for example, where the protagonists intentionally take steps forward and the plot follows. This is a city under siege where the characters have no control of their fates beyond self-preservation against each attack.
Gamer_2k4

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 am

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:well...there's this one person you can blame for Rei getting the shaft in the series...

...Anno?

TheSpleenDilemma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheSpleenDilemma » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:23 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:...Anno?

No, a cross-dressing Aardvark who goes by the name of Carter.
Come on, Eva is a Rom Com begging to see the light of day.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:23 am

View Original PostTheSpleenDilemma wrote:No, a cross-dressing Aardvark who goes by the name of Carter.

And who exactly are you referring to?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am

esselfortium wrote:...Anno?

TheSpleenDillema wrote:No, a cross-dressing Aardvark who goes by the name of Carter

tomrule123 wrote:And who exactly are you referring to?

[URL=http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/ran1_2010/?action=view&current=1269467221041.png]Image[/URL]
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:38 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:[URL=http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/ran1_2010/?action=view&current=1269467221041.png]Image[/URL]

TOPIC, GUYS!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”