Gaijin-kun you twat!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

Gaijin-kun you twat!

Postby skikes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 pm

How do feel about non-japanese speakers using Japanese words, terms and phrases when speaking english when there are perfect english translations?

Examples: Using honorifics such kun and chan. Refering to yourself as a Gaijin when there are perfectly good english substitutes, foreigner, alien, non-japanese. There are other examples but none are coming to mind... I don't pretend to speak Japanese.

It's always been present amongst anime fans but it seems to be getting more prevelent. It bothers me, I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. I can understand the honorifics somewhat, I don't see the need for it but i can understand it. But it really makes my blood boil when I hear people refering to themselves as Gaijins, especially when most of the people who do it don't have a very good grasp of their first language.

Am I the only one this bugs?
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Weeaboos? Yeah, I find them annoying. I don't really mind honorifics on forums though most of the time.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

I would personally only use the Japanese honorifics if I was close to the person, in Japan, or using it to set up a joke. But greeting everybody in RL situations strikes me as a tad extreme. And I wouldn't refer to myself as a Gaijin, because, to paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut, I exist in my own nation.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 pm

I was unperturbed until I saw this egregious example.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CirgVj8Baw[/url]
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm

View Original PostUriel Septim VII wrote:I was unperturbed until I saw this egregious example.

Thoughts while approaching the third minute:

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
====

That being said, I sincerely hope that random youtube poster was correct in saying:

This has to be a Troll. My brain will explode if it's not.

If it is real, Wayne Brady might need to slap a bitch.
This is a travesty.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 pm

I think they're dorks.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

Postby skikes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm

View Original PostUriel Septim VII wrote:I was unperturbed until I saw this egregious example.

FUCK, YES, THIS!

TWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

:wellhung:

EDIT: The most disturbing f*cking thing about this video is that there is someone even dorkier than she. The person who finds her interesting enough to follow her around taping her! AHH I HATE IT I HATE IT!
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Gaijin-kun you twat!

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 pm

View Original Postskikes wrote:How do feel about non-japanese speakers using Japanese words, terms and phrases when speaking english when there are perfect english translations?

Examples: Using honorifics such kun and chan. Refering to yourself as a Gaijin when there are perfectly good english substitutes, foreigner, alien, non-japanese. There are other examples but none are coming to mind... I don't pretend to speak Japanese.

It's always been present amongst anime fans but it seems to be getting more prevelent. It bothers me, I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. I can understand the honorifics somewhat, I don't see the need for it but i can understand it. But it really makes my blood boil when I hear people refering to themselves as Gaijins, especially when most of the people who do it don't have a very good grasp of their first language.

Am I the only one this bugs?

Sugoi monogatari, aniki
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 pm

...that was a girl? O_o

seemed more like a really poor trap attempt to me.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:40 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:If it is real, Wayne Brady might need to choke a bitch.
This is a travesty.

Fixed for historical accuracy. =3
View Original PostNemZ wrote:...that was a girl? O_o

seemed more like a really poor trap attempt to me.

I'm having hard time seeing if that's a guy or a girl.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Can someone link to a snarky glossary of helpful weeabo phrases? I realize that this is technically an anime forum, but I have no idea what anyone is saying right now.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Re: Gaijin-kun you twat!

Postby Merridian » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

skikes wrote:Am I the only one this bugs?
No. I don't consider myself an anime fan because of the association the title brings. I never deny that I watch it; I just don't consider myself a fan. :lol:
Uriel Septim VII wrote:I was unperturbed until I saw this egregious example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CirgVj8Baw
I should be more perterbed than I am, but I've already known far too many people like that. And they weren't trolls.

FWIW I couldn't help but sing "Sweet Transvestite" in my head while watching the first two minutes of the vid :lol: that's all I could sit through

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby WonderBug » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I don't talk to people that use Japanese buzzwords. It's not like they have anything interesting to say.

@ video

Oh my god, that girl needs to clean her room. And what is that accent? It makes everything that much worse.

That poor sakura (lilac?) bush. And the chopsticks! This video brings misery and woe to all who watch it.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 pm

It depends. If they know a few phrases of Japanese because they watched Anime, I roll my eyes. If they've taken Japanese class and are using Japanese phrases around other people who would be "in the know," I don't really mind. Unless the reason they learned Japanese was so they could watch Anime without subtitles.

Anyway, I'm gonna go 영화 봐요. 안영히 게세요, bitches. ;)
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:It depends. If they know a few phrases of Japanese because they watched Anime, I roll my eyes. If they've taken Japanese class and are using Japanese phrases around other people who would be "in the know," I don't really mind. Unless the reason they learned Japanese was so they could watch Anime without subtitles.

Anyway, I'm gonna go 영화 봐요. 안영히 게세요, bitches. ;)

This, though even how fansubbers started this trend and its only getting worse, I beginning to feel SOME sympathy for that group.
I won.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:10 am

If it increases the genepool of Japan/greater income/national pride/ any other thing that helps Japan, I don't mind. (If everyone starts speaking Japanese... mufufufufu)
I feel old

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 am

To desu or not to desu?
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:If it increases the genepool of Japan
The people in question are the sort that probably won't breed -- and that you wouldn't want breeding even if they could.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 am

Too true. WOuld be nice to be able to expand Japanese literacy (even if it means having to rub ones temples dealing with weeaboos)
I feel old

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

I love weeaboos. They make me look like a perfectly adjusted normal person by comparison.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”