[Film] Movies you want to see

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

[Film] Movies you want to see

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:03 pm

I checked this forum and I didn't see any topics like this so I figured why not? What are the movies you have been wanting to see but you just haven't been able to find or see 'em anywhere? Movies that haven't been released don't count. Here's my list:

-Island Claws: 1980 movie about giant mutant crabs.
-Monster From Green Hell: 1950s movie about killer giant wasps.
-The Amazing Colossal Man: 1950s movie about a mutant human that grows to gigantic size.
-War of The Colossal Beast: Sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man
-Cyclops (50s): 1950s movie about a mutant cyclops.
-Split Second: 1992 movie about a speed demon with a maniac cop tracking him.
-Within The Rock: 1996 movie about an alien in an asteroid mining colony.
-Demon of Paradise: 1980s movie about an armored humanoid from ancient times.
-Mutant Species: 1995 movie about an astronaut that combines with animals in a forest to become an armored chimera.
-Project Metalbeast: 1990s movie about a cyborg werewolf, 'nough said.
-Killdozer: 1970s movie about an alien controlled bulldozer.
-The Last Dinosaur: 1970s movie about an over-sized tyrannosaur.
-Thunder of Gigantic Serpent: 1980s movie about an extremely large serpent.
-Sea Serpent: See above.
-Up From The Depths: 1979 movie about a killer fish that uses a beach for feeding grounds.
-Prophecies of Nostradamus: 1970s end of the world movie with mutants.
-Monster Shark: 1980s movie about an octopus-shark hybrid.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:05 am

Those all sound like candidates for Svengoolie. :lol:

I would really like to see Cinema Paradiso. I watched it online in a fit of desperation some years ago; I'd really like to give it the treatment it deserves and watch it on dvd.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:52 am

There have been a few films not released on DVD in the North American region I have been wanting to see, but not enough that I would actively pursue a way to acquire them. I apparently don't remember these films at the moment either.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:23 am

Gah, this is a tough question for me because there are so many films I want to see, but I'll try to summarize as much as I can. :lol:

1. Japanese films
The first thing I should accomplish when it comes to Japanese cinema is to watch as many Japanese New Wave films as possible, meaning the work of directors like Nagisa Oshima (only seen In the Realm of the Senses so far), Shohei Imamura, Masahiro Shinoda and Hiroshi Teshigahara (want to see The Pitfall and The Face of Another). And I still have a few Akira Kurosawa films to watch: most importantly I Live in Fear, Throne of Blood, High and Low and Red Beard. As for Ozu, one of the big three, I still haven't seen enough from him to claim that he is one of my favorites. Then there are random directors like Hitoshi Matsumoto (know him from Gaki no Tsukai, want to see Big Man Japan and Symbol), Mikio Naruse and Seijun Suzuki from whom I've seen nothing yet. And then there are directors from whom I'd like to see more films: Hirokazu Koreeda (After Life), Masaki Kobayashi (The Human Condition & Samurai Rebellion) and Takeshi Kitano (Sonatine).

2. The rest of Asia
A quick list: Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern, Zhang Ke Jia's Platform, Wong Kar-wai's Happy Together, Joon-ho Bong's Mother, Ji-woon Kim's A Tale of Two Sisters, Hsiao-hsien Hou's Millennium Mambo, Ming-liang Tsai's The Hole AND Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day.

3. The rest of the world
A quick list: Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt, Francois Truffaut's Jules and Jim, Jean Renoir's The Grand Illusion, Robert Bresson's A Man Escaped, Jean-Pierre Melville's Le samourai, Vittorio De Sica's Umberto D, Luchino Visconti's The Bicycle Thief, Bela Tarr's Satantango, anything by Buster Keaton, Krzysztof Kieslowski's Dekalog, Luis Buñuel's L'âge d'or, Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon and Roy Andersson's Songs from the Second Floor.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:57 am

Those all sound like candidates for Svengoolie.
Yay for me not being the only one that watches Svengoolie occasionally. :yippee: But yeah, MOST of them would be good Svengoolie candidates save for Prophecies of Nostradamus 'cause it's a banned film for being offensive to those who survived the droppings of the atom bombs. Because of this it was never released on DVD unless of course Toho starts massing their lawyers up. They did it with Latitude Zero so it could work here.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Right on, Chicagoland! :highfive:

Your list actually looks quite interesting. I'll have to check them out sometime.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Sand Serpents (2009), Atonement (2007), Repo Men (2010), Frost/Nixon (2008), Up in the Air (2009), and many others.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am

Spartacus (Kubrick)
Raging Bull
A Beautiful Mind
Ocean's 11, 12, 13
Ghost in the Shell
Sherlock Holmes (with Robert Downey Jr.)
Ray Harryhausen's Films (I've seen some, but not most)
Abbot and Costello Films
Schindler's List
Chinatown
Dances with Wolves
Red Cliff
Last edited by tomrule123 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 pm

I am antsy with anticipation for Tran Anh Hung's adaptation of Haruki Murakami's novel Norwegian Wood. Also, it was just announced today that Johnny Greenwood is doing the score. Gaaah!

Also, I really, really, really want to see City of Sadness.

I'm excited to see a Chinese film called Oxhide II at the Wisconsin Film Festival mid-April. I'm also seeing ALL of Bong Joon-Ho's films in 35 mm there... I've seen them all before, but fuck it, it's BONG JOON-HO. In 35MM. Hell yes! Actually, I already saw Memories of Murder three years ago at the Milwaukee Asian Film Festival in 35mm, but it's such a spectacular film...
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:05 pm

OMFG. Norwegian Wood is looking awesome. Not only does it feature one of my favorite actors, it features one of my favorite musicians.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:06 am

And it's based on a book by my favorite novelist, albeit, not my favorite of his novels. The first that I read, though.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Films I want to see: Every one ever made. Yes, even the fucking terrible ones (but I'll get to those after all of the good ones).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Films I want to see: Every one ever made. Yes, even the fucking terrible ones (but I'll get to those after all of the good ones).

I wish I had the same drive to explore everything that you have.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:13 pm

The Coen Brothers' adaptation of True Grit.

Anything with The Dude, Jason Bourne, Brand and the sniper from Private Ryan has to be good.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Shiki-Jitsu.

Herd y'all love it so much.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

TheSpleenDilemma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheSpleenDilemma » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 am

I totally want to see Julie and Julia again. Got to love cooking! :kimochi:
Come on, Eva is a Rom Com begging to see the light of day.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 am

All About Women. It's a collaboration between TSUI HARK and KWAK JAE-YONG. Just imagine what kind of crazy hijinks are in store. I've already prepared the aspirin.

Seriously, just look at their expressions:

Oh boy, I'm in for a real treat.

Interesting note, if you look at where this picture is in regards to my avatar, it looks like Yuh-na is about bust a cap into Kwak Jae-yong's head.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm

View Original PostUriel Septim VII wrote:I wish I had the same drive to explore everything that you have.
You'd probably think differently if you were me. My omnivorousness when it comes to art is fucking frustrating when you realize you'll never be able to experience everything in a lifetime.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:You'd probably think differently if you were me. My omnivorousness when it comes to art is fucking frustrating when you realize you'll never be able to experience everything in a lifetime.

I've accepted the futility of my drive to do everything I wish to within a given time frame in my life, but I still have the occasional piquing caused by that feeling of incompletion. For me the goal to see every film ever made is an outlandish, literally impossible idea, but that doesn't stop me from obsessively pursuing a (relatively) more modest goal like watching every notable film ever made or every book written by the top fifty or one hundred philosophers/sociologists/physicists. It's the feeling that you are unqualified because you clearly missed a few spots that gets to you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Well, my original post was kinda facetious. Obviously I can't see every movie ever made. I more or less just try to see all of the good/notable ones too and occasionally stick in a fun crappy ones.

Return to “Film and Video”