SyFy Proves They Won't Be About Sci-Fi Anymore

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

SyFy Proves They Won't Be About Sci-Fi Anymore

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 am

"We don't want to be in the niche space; we want to be in general entertainment," Syfy President Dave Howe told Ad Age. Science fiction, fantasy and comic-book movies are, of course, already fairly general entertainment. They account for seven of the top 10 highest-grossing movies every year, Mr. Howe said. But Syfy now wants to offer more as well.

So Syfy will carry a trio of new reality shows, premiering July 15 and airing on Thursdays, that will place Syfy more in the vein of broad-based cable nets such as A&E and Discovery.

"Mary Knows Best," for example, will chronicle radio host, mother of three and "psychic intuitive" Mary Occhino in a humorous docu-soap format, particularly as her children -- a skeptic, a paranormal investigator and a reluctant psychic -- couldn't have inherited her abilities more differently.
"Paranormal Investigators" will follow in the vein of Syfy's "Ghost Hunters" by profiling outstanding cases of supernatural activity, while "Beast Legends" will put a documentary spin on some of the most notorious creatures and myths.

Syfy is also entering the reality competition genre with "Ghost Hunters Academy," pitting aspiring spirit chasers against each other in weekly elimination challenges -- a "Project Runway" for the haunted-house set.

Article

Thoughts?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:49 am

Where is the Sci Fi Channel I used to know, which played such classics as Snakehead Terror or Grizzly Rage?

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:57 am

^Those still play all the time if you check your TV guide.

Anyways, so long as they're airing sci-fi movies no one else is airing than I honestly don't care what else they're putting on so long as it isn't girly.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:07 am

Reality tv shows? Theyre dead to me now, from now on scifi channel will be referred to as "The Chennel" sort of like how I refer to cartoon network as "The Network".
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 am

wtf

RIP scifi channel

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:00 am

fuck American capitalism.

TV is prostituting itself to advertisers more and more.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:fuck American capitalism.

TV is prostituting itself to advertisers more and more.

Oh yeah, because TV has always been about the art. :rolleyes:
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:25 pm

it could at least be about spefi damnit

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Sci-Fi channel's been dead to me for a long time. They used to play actual sci-fi shows, but then they started dumping funds into shitty Sci-Fi Original Pictures that were so campy they were ridiculous. Now they've been into reality TV since that ghost hunter shit came out a year or two ago. I guess both of these have been present on some level, but they really upped the ante in the last several years.

I want my fucking Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, X-Files, and Star Trek back. They still play them every once in a while, but damn...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:55 pm

So it's going the way of Cartoon Network and will no longer live up to it's name?

Maybe they should just call it The Channel.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 pm

They already abandoned their name.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Is it just me or is virtually every channel abandoning its niche?
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Pretty soon the Anime Network will start showing reruns of Lost.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:15 pm

See? This I why I stopped watching TV.

Well, that and everything I could possibly want from it being available online in one form or another
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

I couldn't tell you when the last time was I watched anything on Sci-Fi or whatever it is anyway so I don't really care.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 pm

View Original PostUriel Septim VII wrote:Is it just me or is virtually every channel abandoning its niche?

No, it's not you. TLC has become HGTV, History has become TLC, MTV no longer plays music, Cartoon Network has live-action shows, etc.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 pm

View Original PostCaptain_Morgan wrote:Pretty soon the Anime Network will start showing reruns of Lost.
Because we all know how well that sort of thing worked for PiQ.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 pm

View Original PostUriel Septim VII wrote:Is it just me or is virtually every channel abandoning its niche?
it's been going on for a long time

the cost of TV production has become so high as the audience heads towards the intrawebz and other media that these channels get desparate and do stupid stuff like this

the fact that it unfortunately worked for MTV, CNN Headline News, The Weather Channel, etc., means that there are enough suckers ready to replace the old fuddy-duddy niche

hell, none of the North American telecasts on cable or satellite have been "allowed" to show back-channel stuff since circa 1994

and some wonder why I don't watch much TV and spend my time here on the internet with all of you
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I couldn't tell you when the last time was I watched anything on Sci-Fi or whatever it is anyway so I don't really care.

Meh. I couldn't care less either. I don't get cable, so whatever I saw from The SyFy Whatever was rented from the Movie Gallery down the street just for kicks and giggles.

As a matter of fact, the "original" ("Transmorphers"! Haha!) Asylum pictures took up the majority of the sci-fi section at that particular Movie Gallery store. No wonder it's going out of buisness right now.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 pm

With all the money they shovel into making awful sci fi original movies, they could fund a whole lot of actual good sci fi series. But no, we need more generic horror films every week!

Return to “Film and Video”