[VIDEO] Evangelion TV series to get Blu-Ray release?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:So, has the whole series been presented in HD, or are we gonna wait longer than usual for a Blu-ray Release? Because I NEED THIS SHOW (AND EOE) ON BLU-RAY RIGHT NOW!
Read the thread. Even if NGE were released in 1080p, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Zeruel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I want EoE on blu ray it would look so sick.
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 pm

I wounder if Funi will re-release the series on Blu Ray? NGE: Digital remaster sets lol.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:40 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:I wounder if Funi will re-release the series on Blu Ray? NGE: Digital remaster sets lol.

I thought that Funimation still doesn't have the rights to NGE, but only the Rebuild series. Even though ADV has gone bankrupt, the successor, Section23Films, still has some rights to some shows, and I believe that NGE is still part of that. Can anyone clarify this?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:11 pm

I think there is some thread around here that says the rights to NGE, D&R, and EoE are up for grabs.

I don't remember so I'm probably wrong.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Just the movies, Manga Entertainment's license to them expired. ADV still has the license to the TV series and will unlikely give those up.

There was an HD broadcast of the series some time ago in Japan, but when I watched rips of it, it looked like it was just upscaled.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:35 pm

ADV give out most of their series like Devilman Lady, Guyver, and several others to Funi IIRC? I'm pretty sure that Funi has the rights to the TV series?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

When ADV existed, they were partnered with a Japanese company named Sojitz who really owned the rights to many series ADV was releasing sometime around 2006, 2007. Sojitz pulled those titles away from ADV, due to some sort issue, and the rights to most of them were bought up by FUNimation. ADV now had a major partner in their company that was doing their best to pull them under, and so ADV disolved, and set up a series of other companies, including Section23 Films, and transferred all of their properties (including Eva TV, and the Director's cuts) as well as most of their staff.

More info here and here

So, to recap,
Section23 Films has Eva TV, and the Director's cuts.

No one has Death and Rebirth (True)^2 and End of Eva (or at least, no one has announced it after Manga Ent. let their license expire)

FUNimation Entertainment has Evangelion 1.0, 1.01. and 1.11 ONLY.

No one has announced 2.0 and 2.22. Likely that'll be a while, unless Khara/Whoever else changes their tactic for how to release the movie in America. See here for more info. (Question 2)
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Well, Funi's Next Episode Preview for 2.0 stated "You can (not) advance" is "coming soon", which I personally thought implied that Funimation would snag the rights to 2.22 and the rest.

Guess we'll see. (Fingers crossed that Funi will get the rights to Renewal Feature Films though...)

Anyway, if Eva in HD is simply upscaled, I'm not sure if it'd be "worth it" so to speak. Renewal/Platinum look and sound fine as is, I think. I could be wrong considering I haven't really followed along with the whole HD and Blu-Ray craze though. /My two cents.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Damn. I was hoping for ADV to transfer NGE to Funimation.

I could've sworn that when the show was restored in 2003, it was restored and remastered in HD. Either it's me or it's a false statement. (course, HD wasn't really popular back then, so the restoration team might've focused more on the DVD version than HD. ...you know what? The DVD is good enough for now.) Yet again, that's what the Rebuild series is for.

Also, I, too, wish that Funi would get the Renewal films. I hope Manga Entertainment doesn't get them again.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

I thought ADV lost their properties when they had to be shut down.
Was there something I missed?

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:I thought ADV lost their properties when they had to be shut down.
Was there something I missed?

No, they transfered most of the shows, including NGE, to the successor of ADV, Section23films, so technically, the company is still doing business. Some ended up being given to Funimation before the shut down.
Look at cat42's post from earlier.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Okay, I understand now.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Also, I, too, wish that Funi would get the Renewal films. I hope Manga Entertainment doesn't get them again.

Manga most likely won't even try for thm. They let the license lapse after. I'm hoping for Section23 Films, so we can finally get a damn renewal boxset.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am

If the license for the old eva movies is still as high as it was rumored before, I can see no one taking any interest in picking up the movies any time soon.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Here's a thing to wonder though, let's say for arguments sake that Section23 Films does decide to get the old films. Would people buy a renewal boxset in Blu-ray, even though only End of Eva is worth releasing in that format given it's the only one that originated in 35 mm, though, episode 16 (I think) was mastered from a 35mm copy, and notice it's noticeably lower quality compared the rest of the series
(not that it doesn't still look better than the previous release, it's just that it doesn't look as good as the rest of the TV series.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Why is this topic tagged [VIDEO] instead of, say, [BD]?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:52 pm

I think it'd actually be a lot more convenient to have the series on fewer discs.....

I still think they should do what Dragonball Kai is doing. Well, besides the cropping the picture part.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:04 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I think it'd actually be a lot more convenient to have the series on fewer discs.....

I still think they should do what Dragonball Kai is doing. Well, besides the cropping the picture part.

I'd say, "the lower the amount of episodes, the better the quality." Putting in more episodes per disc could ruin picture quality. (Sorry, you might say I'm into DVD and BD.

Plus, there won't be cropping for Dragon Ball Kai on Blu-ray and DVD (for Funimation's release.)

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:I'd say, "the lower the amount of episodes, the better the quality." Putting in more episodes per disc could ruin picture quality. (Sorry, you might say I'm into DVD and BD.

Bluray has FAR more space than DVDs. You could put twice as many episodes without losing quality.

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Plus, there won't be cropping for Dragon Ball Kai on Blu-ray and DVD (for Funimation's release.)

I'm referring to the fact that Dragonaball Kai WAS cropped for HD. They cropped the picture and added more to the sides.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”