A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 pm

Merridian wrote:Dances With Wolves sucks

:cringe: Could you elaborate a bit?

Merridian wrote:Avatar at least looks pretty.

So do some girls, but veneral diseases they carry are very ugly. That is essentially the analogy for Avatar that I am going to use. Don't bother asking into in it very further until I find a better one.

And I haven't even seen Avatar.

Don't bother. Go see Shutter Island. Better narrative and cinematography and pacing.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:58 pm

I forgot to add a snippet about Avatards. Awesomely shitty post was updated.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:52 pm

ran1 wrote: :cringe: Could you elaborate a bit?
SPOILER: Show
:)
ran1 wrote: So do some girls, but veneral diseases they carry are very ugly.
looking at pretty girls does not give me venereal disease.

Though I DO plan on seeing Shutter Island, preferably in theatres but probably not since I have no one to go with and I’m lacking in funds to do so. :( But it IS very high on my list.

Brik, I liked that review. I was getting sick of the back & forth hate/worship going on surrounding this movie. I still probably won't ever see it, but it's nice to see something middle-of-the-road.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:33 am

I saw this film over a month ago, but for some reason haven't posted in this thread. Well, I probably don't have anything new to say on the matter, the characters were one note, the story done to death, the conflict black and white, but I enjoyed it strictly for immersion and special effects I guess, while my mother and grandmother thought it held some profound intellectual message and argued with about how 'everything I like has to be different and blah, blah, blah,' when I told them that they're wrong and can't debate, then when I told my friend my impressions of it he's just 'blah, blah, blah, nobody does anything but bitch anymore', although I did like the film and I had to explain to him the difference between bitching and criticism, 'criticism is a good thing, it makes things better, blah, blah, blah', pretend I was never here.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Finally saw Avatar today, now that I'm back in the English-speaking world. The effects were stunningly good; one time where 3D on the big screen really took the film from mediocre to landmark status. The few scenes with heavy Navi - human interaction were absolutely jaw-dropping; it's incredible what you can do with half a billion dollars' worth of artists, and hopefully this is a harbinger of the future.

That being said, acting, plot, etc., etc. It's a simplistic revival of the Noble Savage myth, although if there were a planet with such an interconnected ecology, then, yes, industrial activity would take on whole new meanings and moral import.

I can understand why the Chinese pulled the film from theaters (presumably for subversion). It's certainly inspirational.

It's doubtful that I'll find much reason to watch this film again on DVD, but I would go see it again in a 3D theater tomorrow.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Merridian wrote:[very disturbing images.]

Well, I asked. And I got an answer. Okay.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 pm

BrikHaus wrote:This just in: [url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/avatard-me-up-aka-everyone-is-an-idiot/[/url]
:clap: This is the best thing you've ever written Brik, and even though I haven't seen Avatar I agree with what you're saying entirely. I also find it consistently maddening that people watch a film that is so obviously about its revolutionary VISUAL effects and then complain that the WRITING is bad. WTF? If you want good writing, go read Faulkner or something.

ran1 wrote:I'm still going to reiterate that watching a two hour video game cutscene is still not good cinema. It's cinema, but not good cinema.
Honestly, I don't get the "video game cut scene" criticism. Video game cut scenes and CGI is as much "moving pictures" as cel animation or live action film. I don't see much of a difference in terms of them being equally cinema. I'm not saying they don't have major differences inherent in their mediums, but as far as being cinema/movies go, they're equal. It's really all about what someone does with them.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:52 pm

I still don't understand why Avatar's visuals are supposed to be so breath-taking. It looks like every other big budget sci-fi movie made in the last ten years--the money is spent in ways invisible to the audience. To be honest, the trailers didn't look that great, but I figured blue cats in space would look better with 3-D glasses. Nope. Still just blue cats in space.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:55 pm

I still don't understand why Avatar's visuals are supposed to be so breath-taking. It looks like every other big budget sci-fi movie made in the last ten years--the money is spent in ways invisible to the audience. To be honest, the trailers didn't look that great, but I figured blue cats in space would look better with 3-D glasses. Nope. Still just blue cats in space.

QFT.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Avatar's visuals are great if you watch it in 2D, but the only thing about it coming close to being "groundbreaking" is that the CGI is really quite impressive.

The usage of shallow focus in the 3D version is quite literally an eyesore.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:07 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:This just in: [url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/avatard-me-up-aka-everyone-is-an-idiot/[/url]
:clap: This is the best thing you've ever written Brik, and even though I haven't seen Avatar I agree with what you're saying entirely. I also find it consistently maddening that people watch a film that is so obviously about its revolutionary VISUAL effects and then complain that the WRITING is bad. WTF? If you want good writing, go read Faulkner or something.

uhh, wow

You do realize this same defence can be used for every crappy blockbuster ever made, do you

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:29 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:

Well, I've considered James Cameron to be a good writer with his Terminator films. Not that he was the best ever, but he was able to balance a somewhat complicated plot with solid entertainment. So AVATAR seemed to have more potential when compared to Cameron's earlier sci-fi works.

It's not that I hated AVATAR (I actually quite enjoyed select scenes from the first viewing); it just seemed synonymous with all of the other big-budget gimmick tricks pouring out of Hollywood, and I therefore don't see it as having a very, credible long shelf life. And when this big-budget fad does die out, it's hard not to see at least one large Hollywood studio go bankrupt due to a billion dollar production failing in the box-office somewhere down the road.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

The thing is Cameron COULD write in past. Both Terminator films and especially Aliens are full with memorable lines and character moments.

nil.

Cameron truly lost something down the road

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:54 pm

My favorite AVATAR review so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9Fod9KigU

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 am

here's the thing:

Pocahontas sucks

the first thing that comes to my head when thinking about Ferngully is that bat. No enviromental messages, not the fairies, not the colors or even Tim Curry as Hedora '92. Just the bat

Never saw Dances With Wolves or The Last Samurai

so i'll just watch Avatar again. that's all.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 pm

So is anyone going to see the re-release that comes out on Friday?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:40 pm

My guess would be not too many.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:58 pm

nah, I rather see "The Last Exorcism"

plus, I rather spend money on the special edition DVD, not a re-release cut in theaters
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Extended? No, no. It's going in the wrong direction. I'd watch it if it was cut down to 90 mins. to 2 hours and had Colonel Miles Quaritch as the main character. I'm sorry, but in a movie where I didn't "like" the hero or "hate" the villain, the winner is the coolest man out there. And he was, good sir, the coolest man out there.

When Colonel Miles was on screen my thought wasn't "Why don't you use your powers for good?", it was "Why isn't this movie about you?!"

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 pm

The movie should have been about nocturnal predators with more gunfire thrown in. I'm actually hoping The Expendables and Vampires Suck will beat the re-release. Doubt it'll happen, but if it does I can smack Cameron fans in the face with it (you seriously have no idea how much those people annoy the hell out of me).
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Film and Video”