Was emo Shinji becoming AN HERO in 25'?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 pm

I think I spotted the parallel between the two splashes my first time around; it's easier to see if you watch Death before watching EoE. Still, I don't buy the suicide theory. It's probably just a fanwank extrapolated from the splash and from the fact that Shinji's character design seems off in the first scene---he looks older and lankier.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Lucretius wrote:Still, I don't buy the suicide theory. It's probably just a fanwank extrapolated from the splash and from the fact that Shinji's character design seems off in the first scene---he looks older and lankier.

It's not a fanwank, since there isn't any attempt to resolve possible oversights or plot holes involved. It's just speculation -- which, IIRC, tracks back to me, but who really knows any more. Like so many other things, it's a possibility to consider that doesn't really impact the rest of the story one way or the other. You can take it or leave it, but some folks find it compelling, which I assume is how the idea managed to propagate itself for this long.

When I first suggested the idea, the falling battery had nothing to do with it. I just noticed that Shinji's hair looked wet and he had droplets on his face, so the notion that he might have made some kind of feeble suicide attempt came to mind. (He felt like he should have died instead of Kaworu.) Couldn't help but recall his comment about never learning to swim, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 pm

On the subject of the head dunking. I believe it was mentioned in the Bosnian Asuka thread, that jumpers and such tend to remove their clothes before offing themselves. In Shinji's case, it would explain why he was soaked, but his clothes were dry.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Incredible. Never knew that he actually tried commiting suicide, but didn't have the ability to actually do it. Never understood the wet look on Shinji in EoE. Didn't understand Episode 4 that much before reading this thread.
SPOILER: Show
But during EoE, he kept saying that he didn't wanna die repetively in 26'. Why would he say that if he could've just killed himself before the instrumentality began? Amazing.
Sought of like Francis Ford Coppola during production of "Apocalypse Now" (true fact). Both tried, but never fully gave up.

SPOILER: Show
In the end, Shinji didn't end up commiting suicide, but became the last male survivor after instrumentality. How ironic.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 pm

tomrule123 wrote:But during EoE, he kept saying that he didn't wanna die repetively in 26'.

I can't recall any such moment. Are you confusing it with his chanting of "Mou iya da" ("I can't take any more"), right before Giant Naked Kaworu shows up?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Reichu wrote:
tomrule123 wrote:But during EoE, he kept saying that he didn't wanna die repetively in 26'.

I can't recall any such moment. Are you confusing it with his chanting of "Mou iya da" ("I can't take any more"), right before Giant Naked Kaworu shows up?

You know, you might be right. Either way, he doesn't want to go through instrumentality.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:13 pm

tomrule123 wrote:You know, you might be right. Either way, he doesn't want to go through instrumentality.

How do you get that from his stating that he's so overwhelmed by what's happening that he no longer wants to live?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

ALKENO
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ALKENO » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Shinji is probably suicidal. He's made in such a way, and his portrayals are congruous with that of a suicidal person. He doesn't let anyone (and Anno doesn't let us know either unless through Word Of God) about his tendencies and often can't go through with it. The cliff scene strikes a nerve in me of when I used to be suicidal. I would often sit on the edge of the road wondering: "Why do I even bother existing? I don't mean anything to anyone...Should I do it?" Sometimes I would lay down in the middle of the road itself. I would usually chicken out and go home, or just sit there until I cried or my friends found me and cheered me up. Enough of my sob story though...my point is that Shinji's actions in the lake (it must be remembered that he can't swim; by the way, where does it say that? I know it's canon, but I just can't remember where it's from) are very realistic and I personally think that he tried (or at least strongly considered) suicide on the cliff and in the lake.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:50 am

View Original PostALKENO wrote:by the way, where does it say that?
Episode 10, in the swimming pool scene.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Ugh since this shit got dragged up in the 4.0 speculation topic I decided to see there's a thread. I'm disgusted and disappointed you people had a 4-page discussion without bothering to look at the storyboards.

Note:
ほほに汗 = sweat on cheeck
汗 is underlined twice for emphasis. 汗 is specifically sweat, not any other fluid.
汗         あせ           ase (n) sweat / perspiration [Common]

The entire scene is set up to show it's hot as fuck with the ultra bright sunlight and wavy air. Anno's words + storyboard = doubly disproving the nonsense suicide suggestion.

This is an exact repeat of the cliff scene. Shinji a bit from the edge but then can do nothing more than find somewhere else to sulk.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:35 am

I can't wrap my head around how I could commit such a profound failure of fact-checking. Blurgh.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:57 am

Womp womp. Interesting parallel w/ 04, though-- I'll admit that was something that had not occurred to me.

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:18 am

The theory that he tried to drown himself just before the movie started is a lot more interesting than it just being sweat. Regardless of what the storyboard says, that's how I choose to perceive it. Along with the splash shot, it's the perfect scene to demonstrate the current mental state that Shinji is in before the hospital scene.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 am

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this: Shinji was shown more than once being outside without more than a little tiny sweat drop here and there, and here in the morning he suddenly get sweaty to the point that his hair ends sticking to his face?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:23 pm

View Original PostLukeMM95 wrote:The theory that he tried to drown himself just before the movie started is a lot more interesting than it just being sweat. Regardless of what the storyboard says, that's how I choose to perceive it.

Hehe, no. The storyboard says it, you follow it. Ipso facto, case-o closed-o.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 pm

- (insert tired old vague reminder that death of the author and disparagement of all sources but the film itself is a valid take here) -
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:36 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Hehe, no. The storyboard says it, you follow it. Ipso facto, case-o closed-o.

Make me!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I'm disgusted and disappointed you people had a 4-page discussion without bothering to look at the storyboards.

Not all of us have the storyboards for EoE dude.

However, if I did, I'd want that shit translated and proceed to obsess over it for a month.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Some of them are community resources.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”