Post-Second Impact Political Landscape

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Post-Second Impact Political Landscape

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:42 pm

What do we know of the political landscape post-second impact? Wknow there was a world war immediately following Second Impact. We know since then the UN has been transformed into a unified, militarized organization. The four great powers of Post-2I world seem to be Japan, America, Germany, and China. Is there is any other information out there?

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:50 pm

I think that's it...Didnt most of the world get flooded when the ice melted of something around those lines?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Everything is apparently ruled and orchestrated by Seele. Including the UN.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:02 pm

planet news wrote:Everything is apparently ruled and orchestrated by Seele. Including the UN.

Most people overstate and overrate SEELE's influence on the global political theater.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:20 pm

I actually know very little else about the global political theater in NGE other than Seele. This is a good topic if there is actually anymore information to be said about it.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:52 pm

America's NOT a power. It's pretty explicit that life in the US has been shot to hell, especially from Episode Seven ("That country is allergic to unemployment, after all."). Germany is ascendant, however. It's always been second rate to France and Britain, but now those two places are flooded. China is doing all right, India's been nuked to hell, Brazil probably flooded and lost its power... Rebuild's not especially relevant here, but it's not spoilery to point out that there's indications that Russia is doing okay in that continuity at least. Presumably any land that has nothing between it and Antarctica has lost power.

So basically, the UN is probably really powerful and all the countries that matter are happily a part of it.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Allemann wrote:
planet news wrote:Everything is apparently ruled and orchestrated by Seele. Including the UN.

Most people overstate and overrate SEELE's influence on the global political theater.

Incorrect.

The Classified Information wrote:An esoteric secret society born during the medieval Dark Ages and originally a religious order. Slowly but surely, they extended their influence, until at last they crushed the final forces of opposition in the mid-20th century and became a latent power with covert rule over human society.

Seele rules the world.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Allemann wrote:Most people overstate and overrate SEELE's influence on the global political theater.

Including official materials. "Secret society that rules the world" is an age-old trope that's clearly being used. Let's just accept it and move on.

Legendary wrote:America's NOT a power.

They have representation in the Instrumentality Committee, and they host two entire branches of Nerv (up until episode 17, anyway). In NGE terms, they're a world power.

I'd consider the big seven post-3I to be (no particular order): Germany, Japan, US, UK, Russia, China, France.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 am

I would think the countries whose populations are mostly at least one hundred miles away from coastlines are doing well (Germany, Russia, err, everyone else loves waterfront views apparently).
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:30 am

thewayneiac wrote:Seele rules the world.

Only the U.N.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:34 am

Allemann wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:Seele rules the world.

Only the U.N.

What part of
The Classified Information wrote:An esoteric secret society born during the medieval Dark Ages and originally a religious order. Slowly but surely, they extended their influence, until at last they crushed the final forces of opposition in the mid-20th century and became a latent power with covert rule over human society.

don't you understand?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 am

thewayneiac wrote:What part of

don't you understand?

The show gives a different impression and is a higher-tier information than the CE.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 am

"Covert rule over entire humanity" can only happen through manipulating UN.

Obviously SEELE doesn't control absolutely every little detail, they do have the control over the big picture though

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 am

Xard wrote:"Covert rule over entire humanity" can only happen through manipulating UN.
Don't forget their ruthless resort to bribes, threats, thuggish violence, and 'disappearing' anyone that crosses them.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 am

Shin-seiki wrote:
Xard wrote:"Covert rule over entire humanity" can only happen through manipulating UN.
Don't forget their ruthless resort to bribes, threats, thuggish violence, and 'disappearing' anyone that crosses them.

For that they need muscles ;)

What I'm saying is that SEELE does not have military power by itself to "rule the world". Nr would such rule be "covert"

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 am

Sure they do... their military forces just don't know who they really serve.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:58 am

NemZ wrote:Sure they do... their military forces just don't know who they really serve.

All world militaries are part of the U.N forces. As SEELE controls U.N...

There isn't any army going around with "SEELE" logos.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Xard wrote:All world militaries are part of the U.N forces.

JSSDF is Japan's military force. To make them deploy, SEELE had to deceive Japan's prime minister (IRL, Yukio Hatoyama's successor) that the Japanese NERV branch went maverick and intends to bring forward the Third Impact.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Allemann wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:What part of

don't you understand?

The show gives a different impression and is a higher-tier information than the CE.

"Not commenting" is not the same as "giving a different impression." By your line of reasoning, we can't use the CI for anything that isn't explicitly explained in the show's continuity, making it 100% useless except for redundant confirmation. SEELE is able to boss around the UN, which bosses around the whole world.

But when have you ever let facts and reality get in the way, right?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Well, there's always the other things.

EoE Theater Booklet:

[SEELE]
A secret organization that existed since before Second Impact. It covered up the truth about Second Impact and the existence of the Angels, and possesses power exceeding even that of sovereign nations and the UN. After Second Impact, it used the UN as a front to establish the Instrumentality Committee and Special Agency NERV, and to build the Eva series. SEELE's Instrumentality Project proceeded according to the account written in the "Secret Dead Sea Scrolls", and aimed to move humankind to the next level of evolution. However, the loss of the Lance of Longinus and then the further rebellion of NERV Commander Gendou Ikari forced SEELE to modify the plan at the final stage. Incidentally, "Seele" means "soul" in German. Further, the names of all the organizations that are related to SEELE, such as GEHIRN and NERV, are also derived from German. Could it be that SEELE originated in Germany?

D&R Theater Booklet (same deal):

[SEELE]
A secret organization that appears to have been formed even before Second Impact,. It exerted considerable influence over the establishment of Special Agency NERV and promotion of the Instrumentality Project (HCP). It covered up the truth about Second Impact, and possesses power exceeding even that of sovereign nations and the UN. The Instrumentality Project (HCP) and other projects seem to have been carried out according to SEELE's scenario.

NGE Newtype 100% Collection

Keel Lorenz: The man behind the Human Instrumentality committee and the heart of the massive organization SEELE, which manipulates the world from the shadows.

I've got quite a bit of untranslated text about Seele, too.

Isn't Allemann just quibbling? (Where is it written that being the stereotypical Puppet Master secret society means you get your way by waving a magic wand?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”