A.T. Field Deployment

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

tomrule123
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 pm

A.T. Field would be nice to have... would make me feel much more safer in any location...

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 pm

I made that point once. Turns out you do have one, it's just undetectably weak.
On topic, I have a feeling that an adjacent being's ATF basically forms a conglomerate with the Angel's. By extending an ATF you're raising yourself to (or occasionally above) the Angel's level of invulnerability and can thus project damaging objects (bullets, knives, the lot) onto them.
Which helps explain why combat between Evas and Angels works best up close.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 am

Semi-related. If Angel ATFs are protecting them even when they're not exactly visible, is it the same for the Evas? In EoE Kyoko takes a bomb straight to the face and punches the other one before they both explode. Was her ATF deploying the damage even though they made contact or was that just the result of her armour? [Since Asuka mentions it specifically.]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:26 pm

The pilots are trained to deploy/expand the ATF before they enter battle (see episode #03). Eva-02's ATF was clearly deployed in the fight against the JSSDF (and even being used in some new ways, thanks to Mama). Asuka's comment about armor is a little odd, since she had earlier claimed to now know the true meaning of the A.T. Field...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 pm

I think she was saying that even if the power runs out she'll be well protected through mundane armor.

...though they could easily just leave her in there to suffocate like Shinji almost did in 14.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 am

Perhaps since she was using the ATF offensively, she couldn't utilise it defensively? Kind of like how Ramiel would be vunlerable anytime she attacked as her ATF went down. Even if her ATF was there when those bombs hit, I found it a bit odd that they came into contact with her body, pehaps that was an inconsistency used to dramatise and show the extent of Kyoko's power [Much like how Kyoko's blood mixes between purple and red when she's set upon by the harpies and how it goes completely red when Shinji sees her multilated corpse later on, red blood generally is a lot more horrifying than purple.]

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:50 am

Latent ATFs usually only encompass the bodily surface, and on rare occasions a few metres away from it. Extension of the ATF is necessary but not sufficient for its visibility.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Marx-Taich0u
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marx-Taich0u » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:10 am

AT-Fields, as explained in End I think, are simplified to being just the walls between humans and what makes up look/feel/think human as well. As how End (I think..again..) explained it, you could generally equate the AT field as a physical representation of the Hedgehog's Dilemma.

A bothersome thing that's been nagging me since End was somewhere around how the AT Field was explained, that it forms US in general. Could it possibly mean that the more selfish we get or the more isolated from other people we want to be would increase the strength of our AT Fields? As with Sachiel's case, aside from his name being translated into "the covering of God" depicting his already sufficient AT Field (aww crud..this is something random I thought up when researching the Angel's names), the only time (I think) his AT field was strongest and most visible was when EVA-01 went berserk...the only time when he'd probably think "Oh shi-- GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU FREAK!"

Also, having the AT Field already deployed is acceptable, considering that all are selfish by nature (personal opinion) and is supported by the fact that since we actually have a form would make one consider that we always think about ourselves to keep this form (AT Field in End again. T^T) In an Angel's case, where they are exponentially larger than humans and would also therefore have an exponentially stronger AT Field as well (although probably proportional, as they ARE sort of human >__>), in contrast the weapons used against it (missiles, artillery, bombs, etc.) would be proportionally equal to us to ants, hail, or oil going CRACK in the pan if WE were looking from an Angel's point of view.

Aww crud, I talked too long again dammit. I was going to mention Ramiel and Kaworu's talk about the "holy grounds" thing too but..meeh~ xDD
"There is something wrong with people who seek reality in fiction"
-Kyon, whose voice is of Gintoki's. xDD

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am

In an Angel's case, where they are exponentially larger than humans and would also therefore have an exponentially stronger AT Field as well (although probably proportional, as they ARE sort of human >__>),

Yes especially Iruel, wait a minute....

I don't think size matters in AT field streingth.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Also Kaworu, decidedly human-sized, has the strongest ATF short of a full-blown impact
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Marx-Taich0u
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marx-Taich0u » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:30 pm

aw crud~ Come to think of it, Kaworu and Rei did have some off-the-chart AT Field ratings..Grr, I was too focused on Sachiel that I forgot about them, sorry. T^T *rewrites theory*
"There is something wrong with people who seek reality in fiction"
-Kyon, whose voice is of Gintoki's. xDD

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:00 am

NemZ wrote:Also Kaworu, decidedly human-sized, has the strongest ATF short of a full-blown impact

Right until Rei III popped in.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”