[LAEM] It's all up in the air

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:P.S. "They're really looking beyond that, and really looking at drama, human elements, even to those elements that appeal to otaku."..... how they're gonna get naked or half naked preteen girls on film and not be filed for lawsuits is beyond me. Cause that seems to be ALL otaku really care about.

Someone's trying to be cute/"knowledgeable" by using the word the fans like without knowing what all that word entails. That said, you can have elements of sexual tension among minors in film. You just can't have them nude. Not that it would appeal to the otakus, but at least the character development within the script would stay true to the source.

As for me, I still have a bad feeling about this. Ive seen this sort of progression before with other projects, and they've all faded away. LAEM has no reason to fade away like the others have, but it has no reason to flourish or even reach Development Hell. If it ever does, it will probably have studio command, insisting that they put an unrelated _________ (fill blank) in there "because it was in Transformers, and that movie made money"; which is a very smart financial decision so no one's going to object to it. So by the time it's comes out the other end of Development Hell, it will have no resemblance to Evangelion in appearance or title.

In my opinion, they should all just set a release date for 2015. Maybe some actual talent will come to the project within that time.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Didn't Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou not be confused with Paul Wes Anderson who directed AVP) said he is a fan of NGE. Maybe he can direct it if he is not busy.

For now, once I see more info later this year then I believe that the movie is finaly getting made.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Helius
Embryo

Postby Helius » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
Gendo'sPapa wrote:P.S. "They're really looking beyond that, and really looking at drama, human elements, even to those elements that appeal to otaku."..... how they're gonna get naked or half naked preteen girls on film and not be filed for lawsuits is beyond me. Cause that seems to be ALL otaku really care about.

Someone's trying to be cute/"knowledgeable" by using the word the fans like without knowing what all that word entails. That said, you can have elements of sexual tension among minors in film. You just can't have them nude. Not that it would appeal to the otakus, but at least the character development within the script would stay true to the source.

As for me, I still have a bad feeling about this. Ive seen this sort of progression before with other projects, and they've all faded away. LAEM has no reason to fade away like the others have, but it has no reason to flourish or even reach Development Hell. If it ever does, it will probably have studio command, insisting that they put an unrelated _________ (fill blank) in there "because it was in Transformers, and that movie made money"; which is a very smart financial decision so no one's going to object to it. So by the time it's comes out the other end of Development Hell, it will have no resemblance to Evangelion in appearance or title.

In my opinion, they should all just set a release date for 2015. Maybe some actual talent will come to the project within that time.

That was pretty much my thought when I read the article. I got the impression that it was more like a sham for a small time producer to get into the big game by riding on the mecha/3D wave, than somebody who's genuinely passionate about Evangelion and has the kahunas to make an adaptation that stays true to the themes and mythos of the anime.

The fact that over the years since the LAEM project was announced there hasn't been a single director of note speaking out an interest in making the movie tells me that even if the project eventually gets a go-ahead, it'll probably end up a complete disaster for reasons mentioned above.
"Wars Begin Where You Will... But They Do Not End Where You Please."

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:20 pm

They've been telling it's not dead for ages... First it was Greenfield, now I suppose he's out of the picture.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 pm

I hope he is out of the picture.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Didn't Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou not be confused with Paul Wes Anderson who directed AVP) said he is a fan of NGE. Maybe he can direct it if he is not busy.

Yeah he is a fan of the series (the only sauce I got on that is wikipedia).

Wes Anderson's Evangelion...he'd do a great job with portraying the characters (except with lots of dry humor...which I wouldn't mind) and we'd get some awesome stop motion special effects.

Oh that'd be sweet. :D

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 pm

I have not see any of his movies to say for my self, but he has a good movie histroy since a lot of them seem to have a lot of good reviews. Maybe his version of NGE will be like something like this.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:59 am

I'm certainly glad to hear that this project isn't dead yet, even if I'm in the minority here. The fact that it's someone who is NOT Greenfield saying that they're in talks is certainly a relief. I just hope that Richard Taylor is still on board since he was very passionate about making LAEM happen, and I know that Weta can do some incredible things for the movie if given the chance. As for the director, my choice is still Danny Boyle.

And as for the people who are worried that Evangelion will be "Westernized..." Well, I know I'm not going to earn any popularity points by saying this, but I think Evangelion could stand to pick up a bit of outside influence on the story, because there are plenty of parts of it that are outright broken. The series isn't perfect, and I think that in adapting it for live action, with the possibility of failure also comes room for improvement. I know some people will say "But the late episodes of Evangelion are what made it great!", but I fall on the other end of the spectrum. I liked the show better when it had a balanced blend of action, comedy, and drama, rather than the episodes that sought only to probe the inner psych of the characters and make us like them less.

That's my unpopular opinion. But at least it's mine!
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I would not mind if they westernized a bit as long it's takes place in Japan, and trys to stay close to the series. As for the director, my main choice is either Zack Snyder or James Cameron. I doubt they will work on it, but I think Kiyotaka Taguchi is a good choice.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 pm

With Snyder, I'd be a bit worried that he'd take the 300 / Watchmen route and just use the shots from the show as storyboards. It's kind of cool when your source material is a static comic book, and it might be cool to see a few shots from the cartoon re-created in live action, but if we end up with a shot-for-shot remake of the series in live action I'm gonna be bored to tears.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

firegirl26
Embryo

Postby firegirl26 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:I have not see any of his movies to say for my self, but he has a good movie histroy since a lot of them seem to have a lot of good reviews. Maybe his version of NGE will be like something like this.

:w00:
"GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN.....ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD." NERV

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Am I the only one who thinks a live action Eva would be the sci-fi equivalent of Nicolas' Cage's Wicker Man remake?

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:09 pm

^I don't think so, and I still have hopes that this project will see the light of day. For now, when I see more info from Joseph Chou then I'm pretty sure the movie might be in good hands. I really hope we don't have another DBE or GINO on our side.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Zack Snyder

Gurren Lagann, yes. It practically looks like he directed it already. Evangelion, no. He already proved with Watchmen that he can slavishly reduplicate virtually every scene of a good source without capturing anything of what made it good.

Guyver Spawn wrote:James Cameron

God, no. Never has a man built up more credibility and then squandered it. Besides, have you read his Spiderman scriptment from back before the Raimi movies? Thank you, no. Cameron's at his best when he can come up with his own characters.

I think it's already been said in this thread, but I wouldn't object to Peter Jackson. Love or hate the LotR films, they captured the feel and the point of the books, they didn't offend most of the fans too tremendously, and they made a shit-ton of money. Besides, Jackson and WETA are a winning combination, and WETA deserve the chance to do LAEM. I mean, they made the first closed-cockpit piloted bipedal mecha in Hollywood since Star Wars, and they made it convincing, and they made it on a $30 million dollar budget.

Unfortunately, when LAEM occurs (it's inevitable, give it twenty years but it'll happen), it'll be white people. Unless America undergoes some degree of social change in the next few decades (lol) you are never going to see a movie in which all the main characters are Japanese. And with that basically go the chances of its being set in Japan as well. You aren't going to ask American audiences to care about them durn Japs, are you?

I'm not too pissed off about that. Sure, it's disrespectful, and sure it's a disgraceful state of race relations, but honestly, I'd tolerate all the characters being blaxploitation stereotypes if that's the worst fuck-up the movie(s) make. Plus, this way Robin Williams can play Keel.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:22 pm

I had read James screenplay for Spider-Man 94, and it was not that bad in my opinon. I believe Peter Jackson said he is not a anime fan IIRC? I think the only issue with Wes Anderson since I feel like he won't be good directing the action sceens for the movie.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:I really hope we don't have another DBE or GINO on our side.

care to explain what GINO is?

I absolutely don't know what it is at all, nor I can figure it out what it stands for
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Hello
Embryo

Postby Hello » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm

I hope this never takes off. Never.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm

LAEM just seems like a bad idea to me. In order to do it "right" (i.e., stay somewhat faithful to source material & maintain spirit/feel of NGE... I'm not looking for uncompromising purist perfectionism here), it'd probably have to be more than a single film--a gamble most studios aren't going to take for what should be obvious reasons--but it couldn't become a simple shot-by-shot remake (due to problems converting TV pacing --> Film pacing). It'd be an enormously difficult challenge just to balance the line between pleasing the fans OF the series while at the same time attracting new audiences in order to fill out box office quotas, and since we're dealing with a franchise that has far less renown as LotR (nor is it as 'accepted', easily converted, or accessible as something like GitS or Akira also bad ideas but for different and perhaps less-unrealistic reasons), it's going to make bridging that gap even more difficult.

At best I'd say that LAEM is pretty much off the table until the GitS adaptation comes out, possibly after the Akira adaptation comes out as well. Reactions to these will be gauged, and if studios figure 'heck maybe LA anime shit works out' they might give this project the green light. Otherwise I doubt anything at all--never mind anything GOOD--will even come out of this.

If the film ever gets made, I'll watch it. I even hope for the best. But I don't see it even HAPPENING in the near future.

Azathoth wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote:Zack Snyder
Gurren Lagann, yes. It practically looks like he directed it already. Evangelion, no. He already proved with Watchmen that he can slavishly reduplicate virtually every scene of a good source without capturing anything of what made it good.
:lol: Gurren Lagann doesn't have enough slo-mo for Snyder's hand. And if he polluted a LA adaptation of it WITH slo-mo, he'd just fuck it up. And miss the point. again.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 pm

GasmaskAvenger wrote:

I absolutely don't know what it is at all, nor I can figure it out what it stands for

It means Godzilla In Name Only, which is the American Godzilla. The movie was terrible, but the biggest problem most fans have was with the monster. The only trait they used for Godzilla is the roar, all the other traits were gone. He could'nt use atomic breath, he was a weakling that got killed by missles, he ran away and would all the time, and looked like an over-sized and tweaked T-rex.
The real Godzilla can't be hurt by conventional weapons, stands and fights, uses atomic breath, and looks like Godzilla. They basically raped the name by tacking it on the movie. Any other name could have worked but they used Godzilla for marquee value. Not to mention the movie had a whole host of other problems.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 pm

GasmaskAvenger wrote:

It stands for Godzilla in name only. It's a short term for the American Godzilla remake that cameout in 1998. The movie was hated a lot by fans, and critcs. A good example of a popular Japanese series that ruin by a american studio. I hope NGE does not fall in the same way.

possibly after the Akira adaptation comes out as well.

I'm not sure if that movie is still works anymore?

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”