Mari Discussion/Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
konfunoodle
Lilith

Postby konfunoodle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:16 pm

i like mari, she's wierd, some what kinky and i like her boobs :clap:

But I still think Asuka ftw
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

Seph
Adam

Postby Seph » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Ok, I have to(as a newbie) post two questions:

1) What is a FAR?
2) Why Weva?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Seph wrote:1) What is a FAR?

http://wiki.evageeks.org/First_Ancestral_Race
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Butterscotch
Adam

Postby Butterscotch » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 pm

To me she seems arrogant, keeps to herself and the kind of person who doesn't want anything to do with the other characters. She seems sly, cunning and clever. I heard she is abit crazy. I guess I will find out for definite what she is like in February.

itrytofight
Embryo

Mari= Stewie and Peter Griffin from Family Guy?

Postby itrytofight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 am

:boingy: yay, first post.

I don't know about you guys but I think that Mari may be the type of person that is a schemer with a agenda of her own (Stewie) and someone who likes to screw around a lot (Peter). Not so much as a loner though, she did bother to speak with Shinji after they first met.

So here are my predictions of her based what I've seen in the movies:

1) She has some type of plan that would screw up the world much more badly than it got to at EoE... but ultimatly changes her mind after spending a lot of time with the pawns she planned to used and becomes a lesbian... like Stewie only in a fourteen year old girl version.

2)She ends up taking Kaouru's role in a backstabber/close friend, and leaves it to Shinji to end her life (while the real Karou goes on to accomplish some other objective to make Shinji happy, due to the fact he seemingly knows what the hell's going on).

3)She's just a normal spy for Seele, becomes close to the Eva pilots despite her wierdness and tries to help them, gets the same treatment as Ritsuko, and dies the same way Kaji does in the series.

4)She's just a normal Eva Pilot (just as messed up as the rest of them) that forges bonds with the other characters and becomes one of Shinji's pillars of self importance that ultimately crumbles due to her dying with a whole bunch of Spears of Longinus peircing her Eva when Seele/JSDF make their move.

All this is just educated guesses (okay, not really) and we won't know who she really is till 3.0 and Final. But I'm hoping she's one of those characters that binds the others together whether alive or dead and either a true friend of foe.

Besides, who can't imagine Mari:
-adopting a bunch of puppies that strip her

-building a time maching after getting bored with a European See-and-Say

-drinking alcohol as a solution to ending her arrogance and ending up getting Misato involved who tires to get her to stop being drunk by getting her soo stupidly drunk along with herself.

-Fall in love with the Trashmen's "Bird is the Word" song, and repeatingly play it over and over much to the expense of Shinji, Misato, Pen Pen, and Asuka.

-fight a man-sized chicken at random intervals in the movie cause of a expired coupon.

-Annoy the crap outta Shinji by making Shinji say "over" after every sentence in a walkie-talkie conversation while trying to fix up a house (and getting hurt in the process).

-Blow her hand up with ten/thirteen M80(?) fire crackers she puts together to impress her friends.

-Beat the living crap outta Shinji, twice, because he owes her twenty dollars.

I could go on, but I think i made my point :kawaii:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:00 am

Seph wrote:2) Why Weva?
The romanization of the title of the new movies is "Wevangeliwon", using a couple of obsolete kana for the vowels (unlike for the TV series). Anno hasn't been forthcoming as to why the affectation.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:03 am

I stopped reading two sentences in when you started comparing Evangelion to Family Guy.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:46 am

AuraTwilight wrote:I stopped reading two sentences in when you started comparing Evangelion to Family Guy.
Besides, we all know Mari's a female Quagmire.

asukafan05
Embryo

Which side is Mari Makinami on? [Spoilers]

Postby asukafan05 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 pm

I was just curious with eveyones view toward mari. Is she working for Nerv? Seele? or maybe do you think she is Kaji's side kick?

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm

It's been implied that she might be a spy for the American or European Nerv Branches.And since she somewhat know's Kaji,who is a spy himself,it's all leaning towards a spy IMO.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Lots of discussion about that close to the end of this thread:
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6253

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 am

She's working for the FAR (she's one of them).
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 am

Dont forget guys she did deliberately destroy Eva Unit 05 using the 3rd angel attack as a cover for her sabotaging the Eva. So yeah....she is a spy. Damn spy. I wouldnt be surprised if she gets captured in 3.0, hence why she appears naked in the end credits trailer in a dark room. NERV HQ Prison cell?

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 am

Electric Sachiel wrote:She appears naked in the end credits trailer in a dark room.

Can't wait for 3.0! :nosebleed:

This might sound corny, but what if she's on nobody's side? What if she's just a pawn like the other children?
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Holy Diver wrote:This might sound corny, but what if she's on nobody's side? What if she's just a pawn like the other children?

Just because she is a bit more well informed than the other Children and has ties to some oragnization that is not Nerv she is not exempt from being a pawn. She's just a pawn for someone else, most likely the same someone else Kaji is working for (if he is working for anybody). Then again, she has "plans".

Also, when Kaji meets Gendo and Fuyutski, they state something along the lines of "The Marduk Reports from America being destroyed." My new, brand spanking theory regarding Mari is that she is a False Child, taking the place of another Child whom we never get to see, trained by some super secret shady agency to infiltrate Nerv and thus, Seele, to screw up their plans from the inside.

Also, thread merge?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Merged!

My speculation on Mari is pretty much in line with SaltyJoe's. Though I can't shake the feeling her plans could somehow involve her trying to stop Third Impact, spying for...whatever her organization is and discovering Nerv's secrets that way.

And holding cell in Q or not, it's worth noting the environment (naked?) Mari is in during the preview is the same environment those Reis are in. (I still think they're Rebuild's take on the Rei clone tank, or at least a "mindfuck" version of said clones, but who knows.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Assuming that she is a saboteur and that is a real Reiquarium, wouldn't it be interesting if she goes berserk (perhaps after being viciously interogated by NERV officials) and destroys the clones instead of Ritsuko?
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm

My personal theory is she would destroy them in place of Ritsuko, actually. -o-;

But yeah, that'd be very interesting.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:13 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:She's working for the FAR (she's one of them).

Let us keep in mind that the very existence of FAR is very shaky and on fragile canonical ground. However, I assume you're merely being sarcastic. XD

Imo she's an agent working under Kaji for some unknown purpose. However it is very likely that she has her own goals to complete.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Let us keep in mind that the very existence of FAR is very shaky and on fragile canonical ground.

No it's not.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”