Instrumentality in Other Anime/Media

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Chris Congratulations
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 20, 2010

Instrumentality in Other Anime/Media

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chris Congratulations » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 am

I've read about the influences from Space Runaway Ideon and Cordwainer Smith on Anno, but what other anime/movies/stories are out there that deal with this sort of transcendence/evolution as well as eschewing 'reality'?

Off the top of my head:
2001
Serial Experiments Lain
Code Geass
Solaris

-did a search on this and haven't found anything, hope this isn't a noob repost.
Hurdy

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10084
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:29 am

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

TTGL  SPOILER: Show
The Anti-Spirals
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 4505
Joined: Jan 21, 2008
Location: Houston
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ZapX » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 am

Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End is the first thing I always think of and likely the basis of instrumentality. Xenogears, a PSOne game, is also full of similar themes as much was based on Clarke's novel. This thread might be worth looking at too.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 452
Joined: Jun 12, 2009
Location: Here now!
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:52 am

The fantastic game 'Vagrant Story' for Playstation1 by Squaresoft has similar things going on with souls, reality and the personal mindspace of the main character. The ending is probably the most 'Instrumentality-like' sequence in the game.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Posts: 389
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mongoosedog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:44 am

I'm not sure if the game Nocturne would fit into this but it has a whole, unify or stand alone world ending theme kind of maybe.... yeah i'll just show myself out
I have no signature!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10084
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 am

FLCL as well.
FLCL  SPOILER: Show
It had that whole Medical Mechanica trying to "flatten the wrinkles of everybody's brain" therefore causing them to no longer think individually.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 am

Sachi wrote:FLCL as well.
FLCL  SPOILER: Show
It had that whole Medical Mechanica trying to "flatten the wrinkles of everybody's brain" therefore causing them to no longer think individually.


not rly

they intended to create world full of idiots ^_^

especially post-eva "instrumentality" styled plots, themes etc. have been damn common in anime, Japanese video games etc. While the whole "overmind ghee" can be tracked back to Childhood's End there's something in NGE's treatise of subject that makes it kind of ur-example: hiveminds are nothing new (there's one in proto-eva Ideon too), NGE's musings/take on it...yeah

This all said I hesitate to name certain shows because asking this kind of question is HUGE spoiler. I think Sachi's first post is pretty fucking spoiling simply by mentioning TTGL
SPOILER: Show
because there's absolutely no reason to think anything remotely instrumentalitylike is going on in that show before very end of final story arc.
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10084
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:54 am

Xard wrote:they intended to create world full of idiots ^_^

Yes, but they intended to take an alternative form of evolution by taking away people's consciousness'. Instrumentality in Evangelion is basically the death of the conscious and there's no reason to believe that the same principle isn't being applied in this case.

This all said I hesitate to name certain shows because asking this kind of question is HUGE spoiler. I think Sachi's first post is pretty fucking spoiling simply by mentioning TTGL
SPOILER: Show
because there's absolutely no reason to think anything remotely instrumentalitylike is going on in that show before very end of final story arc.

Durr hurr, that's why I have a spoiler tag. If it was something apparent at the beginning I wouldn't have tagged it.

EDIT: If you recall, Instrumentality wasn't initially apparent in Evangelion much except for Seele constantly mentioning the name. Detail into what it was wasn't revealed until very late in the show.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:00 am

Sachi wrote:
Xard wrote:they intended to create world full of idiots ^_^

Yes, but they intended to take an alternative form of evolution by taking away people's consciousness'.


O_o

what is this I don't even

Sachi wrote:
This all said I hesitate to name certain shows because asking this kind of question is HUGE spoiler. I think Sachi's first post is pretty fucking spoiling simply by mentioning TTGL
SPOILER: Show
because there's absolutely no reason to think anything remotely instrumentalitylike is going on in that show before very end of final story arc.

Durr hurr, that's why I have a spoiler tag. If it was something apparent at the beginning I wouldn't have tagged it.


Yes but simply answering "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" alerts viewer to existence of this element. How and when is ??, but it being in show is already there as "free" spoiler.

this is why e.g reading tvtropes can be very spoiling even if they've spoiler tagged the specific way some trope is used. You know this element X (in this case Instrumentality) is in it which certainly affects your viewing experience.

I've been alerted/spoiled to some "plot tweests" this way personally
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10084
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 am

Xard wrote:O_o

what is this I don't even

By making everybody on the planet idiots, they essentially take away their ability to think on their own. If they cannot think on their own they have no conscience and therefore will no longer evolve as it normally would. If a population as a whole has no conscience whatsoever then they are practically a collective mind of nothing.

Yes but simply answering "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" alerts viewer to existence of this element. How and when is ??, but it being in show is already there as "free" spoiler.

this is why e.g reading tvtropes can be very spoiling even if they've spoiled the specific way some trope is used. You know this element X (in this case Instrumentality) is in it which certainly affects your viewing experience.

I see your point. However, the point of this thread is to let people know of any shows that contain themes of Instrumentality, or something similar. For most shows, just mentioning that fact that it has Instrumentality at all is a spoiler and will effect that way people view it. Heck, by telling anybody in this thread at all that there's Instrumentality within a media it is going to change the way they view. So really, the point of this thread is to spread the word of shows that have the same elements. Spoilers are to be expected.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 am

Sachi wrote:
Xard wrote:O_o

what is this I don't even

By making everybody on the planet idiots, they essentially take away their ability to think on their own. If they cannot think on their own they have no conscience and therefore will no longer evolve as it normally would. If a population as a whole has no conscience whatsoever then they are practically a collective mind of nothing.


Well, I never thought it that far... though in all honesty I think they were just going to turn people into childish idiots. It fits the show's themes about growing up, maturity etc. better

but I see where you're coming from and even if it is just fanwank it's good fanwank :lol:

Sachi wrote:
Yes but simply answering "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" alerts viewer to existence of this element. How and when is ??, but it being in show is already there as "free" spoiler.

this is why e.g reading tvtropes can be very spoiling even if they've spoiled the specific way some trope is used. You know this element X (in this case Instrumentality) is in it which certainly affects your viewing experience.

I see your point. However, the point of this thread is to let people know of any shows that contain themes of Instrumentality, or something similar. For most shows, just mentioning that fact that it has Instrumentality at all is a spoiler and will effect that way people view it. Heck, by telling anybody in this thread at all that there's Instrumentality within a media it is going to change the way they view. So really, the point of this thread is to spread the word of shows that have the same elements. Spoilers are to be expected.


I see where you're coming from. Maybe "spoilers" in thread title would be warranted?

Anyway, one of most bloody obviously NGE-influenced examples:

SPOILER: Show
Macross Frontier
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merridian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:15 am

Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig
SPOILER: Show
dealt with a dude who was going to attempt to grab a shit-ton of refugees & “migrate” their ‘ghosts’/consciousnesses out of their cyberbrains and permanently onto the net. This was in part conceived as a last-ditch effort to save as many lives as possible from an impending nuclear strike, though the guy alludes to having this exact goal at the onset of his little crusade. The nuke never came, though, so nobody had to transmigrate outta their bodies.

The characters were unsure as to how thoroughly this kind of integration would work, and they weren’t aware if identity would be lost on the net or if a hive-mind would be formed or even if it were actually possible in the first place. And since it never happened, it’s never revealed how such an event would even transpire. It’s a lose example I’ll admit, but it’s one worth noting regardless.

RahXephon (can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned yet) had to do with eschewing reality, but RahXephon’s ending blows and it didn’t really even try to make sense of itself. No hive-mind here, though.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 pm

EGF has already gone through instrumentality, and now, thanks to Reichu, all members share a hive-mind. Individuality is dead.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20414
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I seem to have been remiss and not recommended Vinge's Marooned in Real Time; which is pretty much the tale of the people who were in effect sufficiently absent to avoid being Tang'd (or whatever happened on that day somewhere soon after 2200).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 408
Joined: Jun 13, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ath » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:33 pm

BrikHaus wrote:EGF has already gone through instrumentality, and now, thanks to Reichu, all members share a hive-mind. Individuality is dead.

Image

Dartz
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1470
Joined: Apr 03, 2008
Location: Dublin
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dartz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:20 pm

The term Instrumentality comes from "The Instrumentality" from Cordwainer Smith's short stories which.... far from being a lake of tang... where actually an omniscient council of vagueness that ruled over all of humanity in the far future, making sure that everyone behaved themselves and all that.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Posts: 390
Joined: Jan 20, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:48 pm

The most recent use of Instrumentality was at the end of Darker than Black Ryuuzei no Gemini. Hell they even stole the line, "It will be an eternal proof of mankind's existence" straight from EOE

ran1
Banned
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 2684
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
Location: Taipei/Dalian, PRC
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ran1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Carl Jung's early theories of the collective unconscious shares some similarities with Instrumentality.

I'll see if I can get some I'll search the interweb on it for some sauce because most of his theories on it I have circled in an old copy of Man and His Symbols.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merridian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:10 pm

^A great deal of NGE's philosophical & psychological aspects can be traced through Jung, so that isn't too surprising.
Also, I don't think Jung quite qualifies as fiction...

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Defectron » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Also intrumentality showed up in naruto of all places, I was laughing so hard when that happened.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon


Return to “Anime and Manga”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests