PlayStation 3 Exclusives

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:So I did some research and found that the exclusive Ridge Racer 7 is nothing more than a carbon copy of Ridge Racer 6 for XBOX, only with higher resolution but lower detail, and "illumination effects".

Guess I'm skipping that one.

Are there any really good downloadable titles for PS3?

RR7 also had some new mechanics, tracks, cars, etc tossed in, it wasn't exactly a carbon copy it just took lot of assets from 6 and added on to it.

Large selection of downloadable games so hard to pinpoint what you would like. 'Flower' is one of the most unique games though it's hard to say if a person will actually like it, some adore it and it's gotten mentions for downloadable game of year from various sources.

Echocrome is a good puzzler based on Escher paintings. Critter Crunch is all around good fun puzzle with lot of cuteness. Pixel Junk series of games also are fairly popular diversions.

Starasp
Lilith

Re: PlayStation 3 Exclusives

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:35 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I'm picking up a PS3 soon for the purposes of BluRay, but I'm also looking to pick up a few of the exclusive titles. I intend to use my XBOX for anything that's cross-platform, because I have a lot of friends on LIVE. But I want to pick up a few of the exclusives, so I'd like to know, what are some good exclusives?

I've been looking over this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

I'm definitely getting Metal Gear Solid 4, and I'm looking at the following:

Katamari Forever (You can't go wrong with more Katamari)
Killzone 2 (a friend has urged me to get this)
Ridge Racer 7 (although I'm considering Ridge Racer 6 for XBOX)
Wipeout HD (I remember Wipeout being fun)

I'm referring more to actual store-bought games, not download games. And don't say Little Big Planet, I don't give a shit about that game.

Uncharted 2.
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:14 am

BattleMonkey wrote:Large selection of downloadable games so hard to pinpoint what you would like. 'Flower' is one of the most unique games though it's hard to say if a person will actually like it, some adore it and it's gotten mentions for downloadable game of year from various sources.

Flower was one of the most refreshing and fun gaming experiences I had last year. I think it's an easy 10/10 and something no PS3 owner should be without. I say get it but, then again, EM could think it's really gay.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:51 am

If you like Ninja Gaiden, I'd suggest getting Sigma 2. You can actually beat it this time around.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I personally wouldn't recommend KZ2, all the game had going for it was looks, game was boring as all hell to play. So basically if you have access to Halo 3 or something close to it avoid avoid avoid KZ2, it's nowhere near as fun.

Uncharted 2 is the most have game on the system, amazing graphics, great story and characters, extremely well executed gameplay, solid multiplayer. Guys at Naughty Dog know their shit and there isn't a game on the market as polished as Uncharted 2.

Ratchet & Clank Future:Tools of Destruction is good is good choice if it's your 1st foray into the series, but if you've played either Going Commando or Up Your Arsenal, both of which are classics, prepare to be disappointed and doing the same ol' same ol'.

Disgaea 3 is a great game if your into the SRPG, though you probably need to have played a Disgaea title beforehand to really enjoy it.

Valkyria Chronicles is another good choice for if your into SRPGs it's a slightly different take on it but it's very good choice, even if story is tad on the slow side.

And throwing out a future release

Coming next month is White Knight Chronicles an RPG from Leve 5(Dark Cloud series and Dragon Quest VIII) so that should be very good game, all Level 5 games, outside the 1st Dark Cloud game are very good RPGs.

And I know you mentioned no multiplats but if your into JRPGs the PS3 versions of the timed 360 exclusives are generally better with added features and other improvments so if you haven't played any of those and want to PS3 is probably the way to go in that regard.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I enjoyed Killzone 2 greatly, the shooting mechanics were fantastic and the whole thing had amazing atmosphere and felt meaty. The single player campaign is mediocre like most FPS and short like Halo, but the multiplayer is awesome and addicting.

If Halo is your favorite style of shooter I suppose you will not appreciate KZ2, it is a completely different feel

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:30 pm

ZapX wrote:There are some great looking games on the way like ... Heavy Rain.

Damn right son. I'm really looking forward to that game.

Heavy Rain Preview NOM NOM NOM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNauNmJ9t-k

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:09 pm

The PS3 has exclusives!? ;)

From what I understand, PS3 offers more for RPG gamers. For the most part, I'm more of a shooter guy, so I pay more X-box games. But, I am considering getting a PS3 just so I can play Heavy Rain.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Xbox gets way more RPGs than PS3. PS3 is more about action/adventure games. If you're interested in Heavy Rain you might want to try Indigo Prophecy (Farenheit in Europe).
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Heavy Rain Preview NOM NOM NOM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNauNmJ9t-k

Wow, That looks great! Definitely looking forward to it!
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 pm

I dunno Heavy Rain seems FAR too much movie not enough game. Can easily wait for $30 or less price tag imo

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:03 pm

I am going to reiterate the suggestions of Valkyria Chronicles, it has an excellent presentation with a high artistic and entertainment value.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Getting MAG soon, hopefully it entertains me as much as I hope it will

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Sorry for the sorta necrobump, but yeah Eva Monkey, if you don't have Heavy Rain yet, get it! Damn good movie/game/hybridthingy. Movement is a bit iffy, but it's really engrossing. Hell, I knew the ending before I started playing, and I still played it all night.

MAG is also a lot of fun. Hell, I think I like it better than MW2. Controls can be a little stiff at times, but if you get into a game with a coordinated squad, it is an amazing experience.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Heavy Rain is a must. I really want it.

My parents' PS3 (they got it in a LCD TV bundle) died and I took the two games my mom had gotten for my dad, Burnout Paradise and The Force Unleashed.

I don't know about the later, but Burnout Paradise is a lot of fun, so I've been playing that a bit.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Eh...Force Unleashed was disappointing since you don't really ever feel like a complete bad ass. I refuse to believe that if you can pull a star destroyer from the sky, you can't force push a goddamn dark trooper prototype.

I just gotta ask, when you get Heavy Rain, will you be a cruel god, or one that is kind to his subjects and gets the Super Good +1 ending? When I started out I intended to get everyone killed in some horrible fashion, but I ended up caring too much.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:goddamn dark trooper prototype.

I hated those damn Purge Troopers. They were so annoying to kill.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”