PlayStation 3 Exclusives

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

[Video Games] PlayStation 3 Exclusives

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:22 am

I'm picking up a PS3 soon for the purposes of BluRay, but I'm also looking to pick up a few of the exclusive titles. I intend to use my XBOX for anything that's cross-platform, because I have a lot of friends on LIVE. But I want to pick up a few of the exclusives, so I'd like to know, what are some good exclusives?

I've been looking over this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

I'm definitely getting Metal Gear Solid 4, and I'm looking at the following:

Katamari Forever (You can't go wrong with more Katamari)
Killzone 2 (a friend has urged me to get this)
Ridge Racer 7 (although I'm considering Ridge Racer 6 for XBOX)
Wipeout HD (I remember Wipeout being fun)

I'm referring more to actual store-bought games, not download games. And don't say Little Big Planet, I don't give a shit about that game.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Hmm, i may need to watch this thread, I need to get more games for my own ps3

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Killzone 2 is a great choice.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Valkyria Chronicles: is a great Strategy RPG that is pretty unique in the field.

Demons Soul: is an odd and very old school game that many people love but it's also something that pisses off many folks. It's a tough game, you will die, it's part of the game, and you will die a lot. Lot of trial and error but it's also very rewarding and unique take on the old Japanese rpg mold giving it a more western feel. It's somewhat a descendant of the Kings Field games of old.

Uncharted 1 + 2: These games are just great, basically a meld of tomb raider and gears of war with a whole lot of hollywood style action movie fun. The first game was pretty good but the 2nd game is amazing and better in every way, plus it has online modes as well. A rent of Uncharted 1 might be worth it just to get into Uncharted 2 which is a can't miss.

Infamous: This is a super hero game basically with an original character and setting, you can be either good or bad depending on how you play and the game is kind of set up like GTA in an open world like setting. Nothing amazing but it's a fun game once you get more and more powers.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:33 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:Infamous: This is a super hero game basically with an original character and setting, you can be either good or bad depending on how you play and the game is kind of set up like GTA in an open world like setting. Nothing amazing but it's a fun game once you get more and more powers.

Wouldn't I be better off just getting Prototype for XBOX? Aren't they pretty much the exact same thing?

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Infamous and prototype are vastly different. From what i've seen and played, Infamous is good for its story and the good/evil mechanic. Prototype is just nonstop fun. Think of how spiderman 2 was. Now remember those annoying people giving you missions? You couldnt give a fuck about them in prototype. When your running at 70 mph and plow through them simply because it would slow you down it just becomes hilarious. I was hesitant to be an asshole at first, but when people just dont get out of the way you stop caring.

it boils down to Infamous for story, Prototype for gameplay. Not to say prototype doesnt have a decent story, Infamous' creators just focused a lot on it.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 pm

If you like the Ratchet & Clank games then check out the next two for the PS3. The 5th one was tons of fun, it lacks the humor from the other games, but it's fun as hell. I have the newest one, but I have not played it yet.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Axell wrote:it boils down to Infamous for story, Prototype for gameplay.

Well then Prototype sounds better for me. I tend to focus on gameplay. I think I would rather borrow it from someone though.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:06 pm

I enjoy Haze, its pretty underrated. Genji days of the blade is pretty fun (its a launch title)
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Prototype was awful. Horrible character, horrible story, and it just gets really boring.

Prototype is nothing more than a sandbox, your a guy with crazy powers and you kill thousands of people without any remorse and blow crap up. It's pretty pointless sandbox game, Infamous is more structured with more story related content, characters, etc.

The only similarity was they came out around same time and were guys with powers, but they play completely different.

If you like a game like Hulk Ultimate Destruction, then it's basically what Prototype is but with a character with no remorse and lots of gore as you massacre thousands of innocents while going "lol" . Depends what you consider actual gameplay if you mean mechanics or how the game actually plays.

Haze I would not recommend, so many better first person shooters out there.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:24 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:Prototype is ... a character with no remorse and lots of gore as you massacre thousands of innocents while going "lol".

DO WANT.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Its spiderman 2 but your an asshole.

Comparing it to the Hulk game makes me cry, there were so many things I loved about Prototype, including its method of storytelling which involved absorbing the memories of other people in order to reconstruct your own origins and what the next attempt on your life from the military may be.

The story was convoluted and silly at times, but I enjoyed the mystery. Waking up dead in a morgue and scaring the shit out of scientists was an awesome way to start :)

Another game I've enjoyed a lot it BlazBlue. Its a 2d fighter from Arc system works and is the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. Its multiplatform but I've been told its better control wise for ps3. Plenty of people still on psn as well. It has a complicated, rich story, at least for a fighting game, and made me put down street fighter for good.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Axell wrote:Another game I've enjoyed a lot it BlazBlue.

Meh, I would rather just pop in X or XX for PS2.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 pm

I unfortunately got into fighting games only recently so i only have XX core for psp :(

I still recommend you looking into it if you enjoyed guilty gear.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Axell wrote:I still recommend you looking into it if you enjoyed guilty gear.

Played it, didn't really care for it too much. It was more fun to watch than to actually play.

Also, my DSL is for shit, so playing a fighting game over LIVE isn't possible. Also, I don't get many opportunities these days to play fighting games with friends. Tekken 6 has been sitting on the shelf neglected in favor of the awesome offline single player of Dead Space.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:30 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:It was more fun to watch than to actually play.

Its so Pretty :kimochi:

roblucci01
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Personally, I think Infamous is slightly better than Prototype, but that's just me.

I might also recommend Warhawk and Resistance 2 for anything multiplayer related, in addition to KZ2 and the Uncharted games which have already been mentioned.

RPG-wise, might want to check out Valkyria and Disgaea. Both of 'em are relatively cheap and incredibly underrated.

I'd stay away from Haze, though. It's somewhat mediocre, in some areas...

Most multiplat games ported to the PS3 come off as kind of "unfinished" because of developers not really knowing how to work with BD, so you would definitely want to stick with the 360 (Although coming from a guy owning all four platforms, I would say most of these games are ported the best to the PC).
I hate the internet

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Most of what's been mentioned here is really good. Infamous is much better than Prototype for me. Since you like Halo, I'd say try the FPS stuff like the Resistance series and KZ2. I usually hate FPS games and thought Resistance was awesome. Valkyria Chronicles is an excellent new take on SRPGs and a top 3 PS3 game for me. Uncharted and U2 are brilliant games which no one with a PS3 has any excuse not to own. KF is Katamari and that's all that needs to be said.

Other than that, Heavenly Sword is a good game but it's really short so I'd rent that instead. If you haven't played God of War 1 and 2 on PS2 I'd definitely get the collection on PS3. It's reskinned in 720p and plays better than ever. If you like true survival horror, Siren: Blood Curse is something to look at. There are some great looking games on the way like GOW3, Last Guardian, and Heavy Rain. Also don't forget the awesome games on PSN like Flower and the PixelJunk series.

Anyway, here's my top 5 must own list of exclusives:

Uncharted (both)
GOW collection
Valkyria Chronicles
Katamari Forever
MGS4

This is just my personal preference. LBP (even if you don't dig it) and Resistance would be competing valiantly to be on that list too.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:16 pm

So I did some research and found that the exclusive Ridge Racer 7 is nothing more than a carbon copy of Ridge Racer 6 for XBOX, only with higher resolution but lower detail, and "illumination effects".

Guess I'm skipping that one.

Are there any really good downloadable titles for PS3?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Go here. Select PSN Store and All time. Everything on page one is worth getting. That doesn't include PSOne classics.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”