Your top 5 games of all time

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:06 pm

ZapX wrote:I found this thread thanks to the new similar thread feature. The shit of one particularly childish member has been cleaned out and it's open for business again. Don't make me regret doing this. If you want to give a different opinion on a game someone mentions, that's fine, just don't get into retarded arguments. Anyway, go nuts.

:glomp:

Not trying to get this topic locked (again) but I've wondered if I should get dem pokemans game one of these days... I remember how adictive Yellow was. :)

Merri, does Gold/Silver still have original 150 instead of all these new pokemans no one cares for?

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Xard wrote: Merri, does Gold/Silver still have original 150 instead of all these new pokemans no one cares for?
Gold & Silver had both Kanto & Johto regions, and had capacity to catch all 150 from original Blue/Red/Yellow versions as well as an additional 100 added for Gold/Silver, so yes. It had both. And it didn't pull any funky "safari-zone-esque" stuff that subsequent games have done regarding prior pokemon. (almost) all of 'em could be found in the wild. The Legendary Birds & MewTwo from the Blue/Red couldn't be caught (for obvious reasons), but just about all of the others could. I don't recall how Squirtle/Charmander/Bulbasaur could be found without trading, though... I think they mighta been available in the slot games, but TBH I can't remember now.

I'm real curious to see how the DS port-remake-things are gonna turn out, HeartGold/SoulSilver.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:15 pm

in descending order:

1. Goldeneye 007 (favorite FPS, favorite stealth, favorite video game level/moment being the showdown at the end with Trevelyan, favorite multiplayer outside of the Halo franchise, terribly underrated soundtrack)

2. Halo 3 (favorite multi-player, favorite soundtrack)

3. Super Mario World (favorite platformer, favorite of the whole Mario franchise, favorite soundtrack of the franchise too)

4. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (favorite stealth game other than Goldeneye 007 as well as favorite of the Tom Clancy franchise for the best balance between gameplay and story along with the best soundtrack of the franchise too)

5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (if only this had been the REAL Star Wars prequel *sigh*)

honorable mentions: Halo (first one), Asteroids, Mercenaries, Sonic and Knuckles, and Super Mario Kart
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm an RPG junkie, so they are my entire top 5

5. Shadowgate - Very old school game (for NES from the 1980s) featuring you going through a castle of various monsters, etc..., but felt at least one game from that era deserves to be among my list of faves. :toothy:

4. Final Fantasy XII - There are plenty of games with better stories and characterization, but from a sheer gameplay standpoint, I don't think anything can top this game. Best gameplay and deepest from a playability standpoint with such an absurd amount of sidequests, secret bosses, etc...

3. Chrono Trigger - The game that got me into video game RPGs. Amazing graphics for its time, one of the best game soundtracks ever, an amazing storyline, perfect gameplay, its only flaw is that its a rather short game.

2. Final Fantasy VII - Aside from the #1, the best story in a video game I've played. For its time, the game was quite revolutionary, is a blast to play, has a lot of gameplay/sidequest depth (just not as much as FF XII), and has probably the single biggest plot twist in video game history at the end of the first disc.

1. Xenogears - From a story and characterization standpoint, the deepest, best written video game ever. Thats #1 in importance to me in such games, so it gets the #1 slot, even though its gameplay isn't the greatest. The game's storyline puts pretty much everything else to shame in fact, not just video games, but anime, movies, tv shows, etc... Best video game soundtrack ever. The only downside? I had heard so much for the year and a half or so between playing this for the first time and seeing Eva for the first time that this was the video game version of/a ripoff of Eva that when I finally did see Eva I couldn't help but be at least somewhat dissappointed because yes, IMHO its story is even better than Eva's is.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Xenogears is great. It's a favorite of mine also. I'd describe the story as Eva + TTGL + ubiquitous Jungian themes. And yeah, the music is excellent (it's Yasunori Mitsuda, what do you expect?).
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:33 pm

5. Portal. It's hilarious from start to finish, uses some pretty neat stuff, and just makes me happy overall. Too short to earn a higher ranking, though.

4. Psychonauts. Again, it's hilariously funny, again, it's got some great concepts going on in it (who would have thought mixing M. C. Esher with Mr. Rogers was a good idea?), and handles sidequests pretty well.

3. The Spryo trilogy. Isn't it a shame they never made anything past Year of the Dragon? Oh well, a fourth game would have been too much of a good thing, I guess.

2. Jak 3. It combined everything good about the first two games into a pretty nice package, and continues the trend of my favorite games by being pretty damn funny at points.

1. Super Mario Galaxy.

Honorable mentions:

Pokemon GSC
Half-Life 2 (this is like, #6 on my list)
Assassin's Creed
Protoype
GTA
The Path

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Some of these are due to nostalgia.

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
World of Warcraft
Jedi Outcast
Simcity 3000
Star Fox: Adventures

Hmmm, pretty lackluster.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:25 pm

I will not do more than one per series

1) Silent Hill 2 (PS2, Xbox)

Silent Hill 1 on Playstation was made scarier because of the limited capabilities of the console. Silent Hill 2 kicked part 1 in the face in the fucked up department. 128-bit graphics, awesome controlls, deep storyline and Characters, Defiantly the game to start out on.

2) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Sonic 1 was epic awesome, Sonic 2 as as good as an orgasm. With new moves, longer levels, faster speed, defiantly the best Sonic game on the Sega Genesis.

3) Metal Gear Sold 3 (PS2)

Taking place in the 1970s, not playing as SOLID SNAKE made MGS3 seem more real. Not to mention the adition of the necessity to eat and perform surgery on yourself placed you right in the Jungles of the former Soviet Union.

4) Shenmue II (Sega Dreamcast and Xbox)

Shenmue Chapter 1: Yokosuka on the Sega Dreamcast, the game lagged the Dreamcast out due to the extensive detail that went into this game. Game areas made to look like they did in 1986 Japan. Despite all that, the game was slow and there were times you didnt have anything to do besides blow your money on Arcade games, at the convenience store, or train your Moves.

Shenmue 2, encompasing Chapters 3-6 (of 16) takes you from Aberdeen/Wan Chai in Hong Kong, Kowloon in China, and the Guilin region. The Amount of detail in the game is increased 10 fold from its predecessor. Also, Destroying Down time, you have the ability to "Wait" and speed up time. Improved QTE system, better voice acting. Sadly the game ends on a Cliff Hanger and a conclusion has yet to surface.

5) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, GCN, Wii)

Clearly a remake of Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES. Ocarina of time is the text book example on how to make a 2D action adventure franchise into 3D. Dont look at Bubsy 3D for that one. Enough has been said in the past about this game.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:24 pm

scarmullet wrote:Ocarina of time is the text book example on how to make a 2D action adventure franchise into 3D. Dont look at Bubsy 3D for that one. Enough has been said in the past about this game.
what about Sonic? :smirk:

that transfer went well [/sarcasm]
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 pm

5. Deus Ex

-A game with the character, narrative, and thematic complexity of a great novel with an amazing "choose your own adventure" format and a real mindfuck of a (very allegorical) story.

4. Super Mario World

-Geez, I should really say any SMB game up until this point. They were an indelible part of my childhood with ingeniously designed world and levels that set the standard for everything that came after.

3. Metal Gear Solid

-Don't think I need to say much here. Undoubtedly the most complex narrative ever crafted for a video game at the time and still one of the most compelling plays ever. The innovation was astounding but it was the tremendous replay value that kept us coming back.

2. Silent Hill

-You want depth in video games? I'll give you depth in mutha fuckin' video games! Beyond the depth and complexity Silent Hill permanently ruined horror in any other medium. No medium could ever hope to replicate the oppressive atmosphere that Silent Hill could; that palpable sense of dread around every corner. It's the perfect example of how horror is conjured from the imagination rather than from what's shown. It permanently scarred me against elementary schools and hospitals...

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

-My original love of video games came from the challenge, but as I got older I discovered it was the actually experience of being immersed in a world full of sensory delights. No other game I ever played created such a real, tangible, and wonderfully fantastic world that Ocarina of Time did. The music, the characters, the locations... I would die in levels just so I could back through them and play them again to notice all of the details.

Honorable mentions

Final Fantasy VI, VII
Chrono Trigger
Golden Eye & Perfect Dark
GTA: Vice City

Quiddity wrote:when I finally did see Eva I couldn't help but be at least somewhat dissappointed because yes, IMHO its story is even better than Eva's is.
:gasp: Pure blasphemy! Off with his head!

In all seriousness I quite liked Xenogears as well and even though it is kickass from a story-perspective it doesn't quite reach the depths in other areas that NGE does.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:00 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
scarmullet wrote:Ocarina of time is the text book example on how to make a 2D action adventure franchise into 3D. Dont look at Bubsy 3D for that one. Enough has been said in the past about this game.
what about Sonic? :smirk:

that transfer went well [/sarcasm]

Sonic Adventure was great. Just after the Dreamcast bit the dust, Sonic games started to suck balls.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:03 am

I loved Sonic Adventure one and two.
Sonic '06 could have been better. The story was kind of weak and the gamplay itself suffered from some programming error and a few glitches.

I have yet to play Sonic Unleashed and I really want to after playing demo.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:24 am

In no necessary order:

Modern Warfare 1&2: Counting these as one since I'm a damn dirty cheater. Love the improbable story, and addicted to the multiplayer. It's an added bonus to be able to play as Lucius Vorenus...now we somehow have to get Pullo in the third game...

Tetris: the first game I ever played, on my dad's gameboy. Definitely what got me hooked on gaming, even though it's so damn simple. Even today, it's addicting and fun. However, the Tetris God is a fucking dick. RELEVANT

Halo: I don't care what people say, the first game's multiplayer was the best in the series. The best maps, and you never had to play with some douche 12 year old screaming in your ear. And, despite the fact that the single player was repetitive as hell, I had a blast going through on co-op with my buds.

Knights of the Old Republic: I swear, I must have played through it 20 times. Kinda wish the sequel had the same effect on me, but with it being kinda unfinished...yeah. Still fun, but not as awesome as the first. And with me being a sort of Star Wars geek, I was in love with the game from the start. I sincerely hope Bioware come sup with a proper ending for Revan's story...Old Republic looks sweet, but doesn't look like it will answer my questions.

Fallout 3: It's Fallout 3.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:36 am

gah its so hard to think of a favourite

5. Final Fantasy (Series) - It's hard to pick a favourite, each one carries a different charm

4. Metal Gear Solid 2 - IMO it has the best story compared to the others i've played (i haven't played 4) and i really liked playing as Raiden and experiencing Snake from someone elses perspective

3. The World Ends With You - The best DS game i've ever played, hell almost the best Square-Enix game i've ever played. EDIT:
It is the best :tongue:
2. Puggsy - An old Sega Genesis game and one of the first games to have a physics system IIRC. It's an adventure/puzzle game and the world really drew me in

1. Persona 4 - I don't really know why i love this game so much, Shin Megami Tensei games and mythology/occult themed games really draw me in

EDIT:
I have yet to play Sonic Unleashed and I really want to after playing demo.

I was pleasantly surprised with this game. The day stages are some of the greatest Sonic experiences i've had, and yes i have played Sonic 3 & Knuckles. If you get unleashed try and get it on 360 or PS3 instead of PS2/Wii
Last edited by Mongoosedog on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no signature!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:27 am

Okay, so while bored tonight I 'obtained' copies of Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Torment. Let's see what all the fuss is about, shall we?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:39 am

If "The World Ends With You" is ALMOST the best Square-Enix game you've played, why is it the highest ranking one on the list? :P

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:42 am

Legendary wrote:If "The World Ends With You" is ALMOST the best Square-Enix game you've played, why is it the highest ranking one on the list? :P

Hmm...mostly because it was the first one i thought of. but now that you brought that up i'm gonna go ahead and say it is my favourite Square-Enix game :sweatdrop:
I have no signature!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:36 am

In no particular order, these were the first five to come to mind:

The Kingdom Hearts series.
I first played the first game when I was in the 3rd grade and instantly fell in love with it; it felt to me it was the perfect fusion of Final Fantasy and Disney, despite me having little knowledge of the Final Fantasy series at the time. The game play, plot, overall experience with it intrigued me greatly and easily became my favorite game. I waited feverishly for 5 years until Kingdom Hearts II finally came out; I had pre-ordered and picked up the exact day it became available and was instantly impressed. For a sequel, it was quite satisfying; far superior game play and storytelling and I found this game ultimately more playable than the original. Earlier this year I picked up Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories for the PS2 and the game play on this was quite interesting and I've had fun customizing my deck of cards to the best I can make it. The story served as a nice transition between the two main games, but I found it incredibly boring and redundant aside from between floors where actual story happens. Lately, however, when replaying these games, I have begun to notice the flaws it contains in each game; whether this is me getting bored of playing each game for the umpteenth time or that I am actually growing out of my love for the style, I don't know. I look forward to playing Birth by Sleep and 358/2 Days if they ever become available on a system I have, and I'm really crossing my fingers for a quick arrival of the long anticipated Kingdom Hearts III.

Final Fantasy IX.
This is the game that truly opened me up to the RPG genre and has remained my personal favorite among the Final Fantasy series. I found the game play and overall setting to be very welcoming to those new to the series unlike how I felt when first playing Final Fantasy VII on the very same day; but that's just me being more into the classic fantasy genre as opposed to Science Fiction, probably. Recently I have purchased this game again and have played all the way through it a few times and it never seems to get old.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.
This game is the only game I've ever bought three copies of. The reasons being that, with my first copy, my cousin borrowed the second disc and (now that I think about it) I haven't seen him since. My second copy disappeared mysteriously, though I still have the case. And I recently purchased a third copy not more than a half a year ago. This games battle system absolutely stunned me for an RPG of its type. Though the graphics aren't amazing, the voice acting is horrendous, and the story isn't all that perfect, I found that the game play and overall experience with this game makes up for all of those flaws and then some. I found the cross between classic Fantasy and Science Fiction flawless and I have spent hour upon hour exploring dungeons and fields, each time with new excitement at the creativity of the maps (particularly the Aquatic Garden Surferio). This game is definitely worth at least a couple play throughs. Albel Nox is one of my favorite characters in all of RPG history.

The Half-Life series.
Shifting styles here, Half-Life was probably the very first Horror Survival/Action FPS game I ever played, having probably first played it around my very first years of primary school. Back then, the game seemed as monstrous in size and difficulty as some of the monsters themselves and I felt so satisfied with myself having gotten to and beaten that giant green tentacle thing in the furnace. Now I can get through the entire story with the greatest of ease and the three arcs of the game are so different in nature that it keeps the game replayable over and over again. With the sequels, I found the graphics and physics of it amazing and it seemed like a great roller coaster ride playing through them the first time; all of them are great, but in a far different way from that which made the original great.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II.
Choosing this game as one of my Top Five is for two reasons: I'm too lazy to go through all my games and find a better one, so this was the first to come to mind; I have a bit a nostalgia for it. This was the first actual good Star Wars game I ever played, and certainly one of the best where you get to be a Jedi. Sadly, I've no idea where my copy of this game is and have not played it in years; so most of my memories of it are fond ones. I've tried looking for new copies, but I've probably been looking in all the wrong places. As soon as I do reacquire this game, I'll be able to properly evaluate whether or not it should be in this Top 5 list.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:51 am

You know I never got around to beating Star Ocean 3, I got all the way up to the last boss years ago and I couldn't beat him for the life of me, maybe one day I'll go back and finish the game. Also I'm glad to see my topic back.
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Kutta
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Kutta » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Scheme: honorable mentions and one distinguished title. Lots are probably missing from the honorable mentions list.

Honorable mentions:

Deus Ex: nuff said above.

Diablo 1: Scared shit out of me when I first played it. It was probably Blizzard's first serious attempt in the meticulous atmosphere creating they later became famous for and was entirely successful. Brilliant nightmarish gothic gory graphics with fantastic music and a claustrophobic gameplay.

Heroes of Might And Magic III: extremely memorable and charming atmosphere, extremely diverse and brilliant music and sound effects plus a lovely extremely detailed art. Its somewhat baroque, crowded and stylized fantasy look was very stimulating to one's imagination (especially to a kid me's imagination). A good story and complex, enjoyable gameplay came with the bundle too.

May Payne 2: an outstanding incarnation of film noir in a third person shooter. One thing was the flawless adrenalin stuffed gameplay, but what raised it above peers was IMO the great effort that went into that noir atmosphere.

Half-Life 1: was much more punishing and psychologically intense than the sequel and was a huge influence on the genre as a whole. It's a shame though that since then there wasn't a very spectacular evolution in FPS games.

Counter-Strike: more a competitive sport than a video game in the classic sense. As a competitive sport it has great depth and at a time a lot of my efforts went into getting better at it. I stopped it playing years ago, however, in the end I was extremely good and up to this point I have not found anything else that can put my mind into such a highly effective, focused, meditative state that I experienced while playing. Before anybody comments here, drugs are a no-no ^_^

Portal: short and new, which would by itself warrant suspicion, but Portal is just simply a very clever and refreshing little piece. Portal had some subtle experimenting with metaphors, metafiction and deconstruction. It's a shame the game only kept these brilliant experiments in the background (so much that most players had no idea about them).

Jagged Alliance 2: it's not like Fallout or Torment that pop instantly to mind when it comes to so called "obscure, older masterpieces". They pop into mind because they are not that obscure, JA2 does not pop into mind because it is actually obscure. JA2 had a ridiculously refined tactical/strategic gameplay with tons of possibilities that were actually useful... I could write about its other virtues, but basically JA2 just got totally everything right.

Distinguished title: Morrowind

This is a game that has some obvious flaws that are so much dwarfed by its accomplishments that in my list nothing has ever come close to touching Morrowind.

Naysayers usually complain about the lifeless NPC's that are just standing around doing nothing, repetitive and simple combat and overly convoluted and loose story with fricking boring walls of texts. Well, I love those tl;dr walls of text, which is pretty much natural for someone who occasionally visits EvaGeeks. MW actually has about 1,2 times as much words as War & Peace.

Comparing MW to Bioware stuff: Bioware stuff are narrative driven, rely heavily on standard narrative and character tropes and are pretty much movie like.

In contrast, MW is entirely free-play, sandbox-type, is a sum of many diverging sub-stories and the player has an important role in setting up whatever narrative there might be. There also aren't any noteworthy companions and there is almost no nauseating romanticism and emotianality that tend to permeate JRPGs or even Bioware stuff. You've only got a huge world and are free to do whatever you want.

Typically MW seems bland compared to those two above mentioned types. However, MW has a literary, cultural and philosophical richness that makes other RPG's seem bland, maudlin and primitive. You just have to delve a bit more deeply into it.

Additionally, MW managed to sustain a hyperactive and buzzing official forum for an unprecedented 7+ years, mainly because of players who have so far created tens of thousands of mods and over the years and retextured and reconfigured the whole game many times. They even wrote a new extension to the original graphical engine and modded the game ~ to Oblivion graphical levels. Besides modding players have gone to great lengths creating Encyclopedias, databases, literary and historical analyses, etc. based on the game. MW discussion and analysis, while somewhat smaller than NGE discussion & analysis, is still a damned huge amorphous thing.

MW discussion has a unique flavor to it for the reason MW's world and lore is pretty much original and unconventional among fantasy settings. It has a certain schizophrenic vibe to it, maybe because the ingame world's complexity, vagueness and ambiguity is much closer to what's typical in the real world than in other fictional worlds.
Last edited by Kutta on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I were to ask you on a date, would your answer be the same as your answer to this question?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”