What are you currently playing?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Teague » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Sachi wrote:
Teague wrote:Playing Digital Devil Saga, its nice to finally be able to feast on the flesh of my fallen enemies...not enough games allow you to do that (another reason why I like Fallout 3)

I tried that game out, but it was just a bit too bland and boring for me tastes, despite me avid love for RPGs. If I had to grade it, it would get a 6/10. And I'm being generous with my grading.

Yeah, a number of the Shin Megami Tensei games tend to go for a very minimalist story-telling method, coupled with that most are an upwards of 50 hours to beat tends to leave some people wanting. Me, I can't get enough of the things.

But why does Cu Chulainn hate me? He's an awesome guy and all, but he keeps killing my party in two turns...and he's a random encounter! Stupid 80+ dmg to everyone when we only have 200 HP

And, since I'm far too attention deficit for my own good, I'm now going through Mass Effect again to prepare myself for Mass Effect 2...why does Male!Shepard bug me so much? Who knows...probably the same reason I think the KOTOR series should have made female!Revan and male!Exile canon...stupid Lucas nutjobs rassafrasseum sonnafrasseum
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:04 am

I watched my friend play this Suzumiya Haruhi game whose title I forgot. It was awful and involved dancing and playing rock-paper-scissors, but he just couldn't stop playing. I guess that's the pull of God.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:56 am

Teague wrote:
Sachi wrote:
Teague wrote:Playing Digital Devil Saga, its nice to finally be able to feast on the flesh of my fallen enemies...not enough games allow you to do that (another reason why I like Fallout 3)

I tried that game out, but it was just a bit too bland and boring for me tastes, despite me avid love for RPGs. If I had to grade it, it would get a 6/10. And I'm being generous with my grading.

Yeah, a number of the Shin Megami Tensei games tend to go for a very minimalist story-telling method, coupled with that most are an upwards of 50 hours to beat tends to leave some people wanting. Me, I can't get enough of the things.

But why does Cu Chulainn hate me? He's an awesome guy and all, but he keeps killing my party in two turns...and he's a random encounter! Stupid 80+ dmg to everyone when we only have 200 HP

And, since I'm far too attention deficit for my own good, I'm now going through Mass Effect again to prepare myself for Mass Effect 2...why does Male!Shepard bug me so much? Who knows...probably the same reason I think the KOTOR series should have made female!Revan and male!Exile canon...stupid Lucas nutjobs rassafrasseum sonnafrasseum

ah so it arrived. do you want to own it or do you want me to fork over 40 bucks when i get back?

I saw Devil Summoner and was gonna get it but it was 70 bucks, i thought that was too much for a ps2 hack n slash
I have no signature!

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:34 pm

I love Steam. I just bought Killing Floor for 4.99!

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Teague » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:56 am

Mongoosedog wrote:ah so it arrived. do you want to own it or do you want me to fork over 40 bucks when i get back?

I saw Devil Summoner and was gonna get it but it was 70 bucks, i thought that was too much for a ps2 hack n slash

Good thing you didn't, I already got Devil Summoner for ~$30

As for DDS, I should be finished by the time you get back so you can buy it off me.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Unashamed troper.

AVman9
Sachiel

Postby AVman9 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm

backseatjesus wrote:I love Steam. I just bought Killing Floor for 4.99!

As did I. Also got Bioshock for 5 bucks on a one day deal thing!
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

Just got Infinite Undiscovery on my Xbox 360 yesterday for like $15. I was a little reluctant to buy it; it didn't seem like it was anything special and I've heard nothing about it, but it was by TriAce, the makers of Radiata Stories and Star Ocean, so I figured it was worth a shot. First few hours of the game were quite bland, I almost lost interest in it completely, but I just got through with this pretty epic battle in terms of RPG standards and it was pretty exciting. So lets see where this game takes me, and once I'm finished I shall have a review for you guys in case anybody wants to check it out.

This is what I can tell you now:

Similar to Final Fantasy XII, field mode and battle mode are one in the same; you run around, find an enemy and go straight to attacking it instead of going to a different style of gameplay in order to attack. Unlike FFXII and most RPGs, yet similar to most TriAce style games, there is no command field; to attack you just press A or B. And instead of a Gambit system, as with FFXII, the characters you're not controlling fight on their own and can pretty much handle themselves, but you can give them some very specific orders; one character, Aya, you can actually order her to stand in front of you and aim her bow, a cross hair appears and you can focus and aim the shot and finally shoot it.

Like most typical RPGs, the characters are somewhat bland, unoriginal, and unmemorable. Disappointing coming from TriAce. This is probably my biggest peeve with the game so far. I don't exactly want to be fighting alongside just any random nobody; I want to be fighting alongside heroes and heroins of epic proportions, like (from TriAce games, specifically) Abel Nox, and Ganz Rothschild! Another thing I've noticed with the characters, particularly the the first two shown, Cappel and Aya, they seem to be carbon copies of the two lead protagonists of another TriAce release, Star Ocean: The Last Hope. This most recent SO game did indeed come out after IU, but SO4 did a better job wit them.

A few more predictable things from a TriAce game: shitty voice acting, awesome music, and not-so-great graphics for the generation it is coming out with; TriAce always seems to be one step behind when it comes to graphics.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 am

Batman: Arkham Asylum

great game
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:22 pm

I just realized that Assassin's Creed 2 is little more than the Godfather set in Renaissance Italy with a DaVinci Code frame story...

SPOILER: Show
and Alien-Human hybrid protaganists.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Been playing the new BlazBlue game.

GADGET FIIIINGAAAA
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:47 am

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:57 am

EvaCub wrote:I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII

Is that out already? Tell me how you like it.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:51 am

Sachi wrote:
EvaCub wrote:I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII

Is that out already? Tell me how you like it.

It's out in Japan, I just imported casue there a lot of translation guides already. My spoiler free impressions: This game is a lot like Final Fantasy X in gameplay, and the battle systems a faster paced nice and shiny version of XII's.
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Teague » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 pm

EvaCub wrote:It's out in Japan, I just imported casue there a lot of translation guides already. My spoiler free impressions: This game is a lot like Final Fantasy X in gameplay, and the battle systems a faster paced nice and shiny version of XII's.

Whats the leveling system like?
Unashamed troper.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:48 pm

A really in-depth review of Final Fantasy XIII.
[url]http://kotaku.com/5433455/final-fantasy-xiii-impressions-15-years-later-25-hours-in[/url]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Teague wrote:Whats the leveling system like?

it's a crystal grid a lot like Final Fantasy X's. You spend EXP earned in battle to earn new abilities in certain jobs. The Kotaku Review that BrikHaus posted givea a wonderful spot on overview
My Anime List

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Mongoosedog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:11 am

i can't wait to get my hands on XIII
I have no signature!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

BrikHaus wrote:A really in-depth review of Final Fantasy XIII.

Wow, that really sounds like absolute crap.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Max Payne and Mac Payne 2. Awesome.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
New Super Mario Bros Wii