backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Paranoia Agent is being adapted to Live Action

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:31 pm

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18413

This could work if the right people are involved. I don't think Takashi Shimizu is the right guy though.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Even as far as anime goes, this was a really weird show. It would be an insane live-action.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:51 pm

I love this idea

the show definitely got too hard to follow about half way through, but if they can condense and simplify it to just one or a few films, this could work really nicely
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:52 pm

I see a massive train-wreck on the horizon.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:26 pm

child of Lilith wrote:I see a massive train-wreck on the horizon.
This.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:34 pm

I don't see any benefits in making Paranoia Agent live action. It's one of those things that seems (and certainly was) tailor made to work specifically as animation.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:58 am

NAveryW wrote:I don't see any benefits in making Paranoia Agent live action. It's one of those things that seems (and certainly was) tailor made to work specifically as animation.

Possible entertainment is always the benefit.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:15 pm

This is still Japanese, right? We don't need to worry about this possible disaster tarnishing PA's good name stateside?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:21 pm

I could see this working if Lynch directed

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Not going to hold my breath for something good, but this would at least be interesting to go see. Heck, maybe they'll get it right this time.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Sachi wrote:Not going to hold my breath for something good, but this would at least be interesting to go see. Heck, maybe they'll get it right this time.

"this time"?

Paranoia Agent is awesome as it is!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Xard wrote:
Sachi wrote:Not going to hold my breath for something good, but this would at least be interesting to go see. Heck, maybe they'll get it right this time.

"this time"?

"This time" as in, "maybe they'll get a live action adaptation right this time".

I loved Paranoia Agent.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Sachi wrote:
Xard wrote:

"this time"?

"This time" as in, "maybe they'll get a live action adaptation right this time".

I loved Paranoia Agent.

Ahh, sorry ^_^

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Xard wrote:I could see this working if Lynch directed

That's exactly who I was thinking about, but kind of backed off from saying because I've been mentioning him too much. Hell, I think he's perfect for most psychological/abstract animes. I'd shit bricks if he adapted Monster.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:18 pm

True. Bunuel would've been a better choice if he were alive, but Lynch is the next best choice.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
True. Bunuel would've been a better choice if he were alive, but Lynch is the next best choice.

would Bunuel have the knowledge to work with today's CGI laced world of film adaptations though? Granted I haven't seen much of Bunuel but PA has always struck me more Lynchian film...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:48 pm

The great directors always keep up with technological advancements so I'm sure he could've. Though PA as live action wouldn't have to necessarily be heavily CGI's, and Lynch is hardly a CGI-savant anyway. The thing about PA is that it's a very socially/culturally conscious kind of surrealism where Lynch is a much more interior, psychological kind of surrealist director. Bunuel almost always engineered his surrealism towards social concerns, which is where I think he would've excelled with PA.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:51 pm

I understand. I guess I just look at "general style" of both directors (Lynch and Kon, of course) and see great deal of similarities in their form, especially in visuals :shrug:

(both Kon and Lynch after all tend to work with very mundane world that suddenly is invaded by strangeness. Kon's realist animation style furthen strenghtens the "mundane world reveals its absurd underbelly" Lynchian style of Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks etc.)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:12 pm

We're talking about a difference of small degrees, really. Bunuel just has that sense of virulent biting satire that Lynch lacks, while Lynch is more psychologically piercing, and I just see the former fitting better with PA. Lynch is still the obvious second choice.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:09 pm

It's going to be a Japanese live action film, which means it's going to suck ass. I mean, when they cast Chubby Light and Diabetic L in the live action Death Note, you know that there is already no hope for Paranoia Agent.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Anime and Manga”