[LAEM] Just what does this movie need to be good?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Just what does this movie need to be good?

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:23 pm

Let me hear what ya'll have to say about this. Personally to sucecced NGE:TLAM must have the following:
A well written script
Competent Actors
A good Soundtrack
Big assed mecha battles
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Esion » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:32 pm

I think having good actors is probably the most important thing. The script writes itself for the most part assuming that they stay true to the anime.

Eva is most definatly special because it's characters are so deep and the Live movie would have to have actors with enough skill to portray the very powerful emotions contained in Evangelion.

Mecha battles are a must but I'm sure Weta can pull it off with no problems.

The soundtrack is definatly very important because it sets the mood for the whole movie.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:32 pm

A good director.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:20 pm

Hideaki Anno, and a miracle
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:32 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Hideaki Anno, and a miracle

Don't be so pessimistic. With that attitude you will hate the movie no matter how it turns out.

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

Postby max3000 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:41 pm

I'm going to agree with Hunter..
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:48 pm

max3000 wrote:I'm going to agree with Hunter..

Unfortunaley a great deal of Eva fans have already decided Whether or not they will enjoy this movie.

I say at least give it a chance.

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

Postby max3000 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:07 pm

Well it can be good. After all, WETA is working on it.
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:09 pm

Allow me to play Devil Advocate here:
Yes WETA is working on it, but only the SXs and stuff, not on the actul movie. Thats where ADV comes in... hopefully they'll do a good job though...
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:50 pm

Character, Character, and more Character, if they are able to nail the Characters they should be able to pull off a decent movie. Evangelion is all about the characters.

RubberSoul
Lilith

Postby RubberSoul » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:53 am

Crazyman42 wrote:Character, Character, and more Character, if they are able to nail the Characters they should be able to pull off a decent movie. Evangelion is all about the characters.
I agree
I can only take so much retarded.

Quiddity
Lilith

Postby Quiddity » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:07 am

Loyalty to the original storyline and characters. Anyone can go out and make a crappy movie with poorly written characters and a poorly done sci-fi plot. Watch the Sci-Fi channel for plenty of that. If they keep loyal to the original Eva plot and don't change things, we might have a good movie. If they make their own changes about what they think will make it better, it will suck.

What they really need though is a 7 or 8 hour running time. A 2 hour running time just won't do Eva justice.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Shinseki
Embryo

Postby Shinseki » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:53 am

Well, remember, if the public embraces this movie (and by the public, I mean the mainstream American public), then a second and third movie might be in the works.

Sadly, I want this movie to move away from the mainstream values that the anime and manga were built on, but ADV will try to build the movie for the public's acceptance and approval. This is also why I wanted Anno to work on the movie too, but he said so himself that ADV and WETA have to freedom to take this wherever they want, so I guess it's ok.
Image Image Image

Grip_Tight_Thin
Embryo

Postby Grip_Tight_Thin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:02 pm

I have to say the same thing
...and now back to my coffin full of absinthe

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:57 pm

Amen hunter21 Amen
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:08 am

What it needs is a long-term direction for the license. I'm not just talking about a good director, but an ultimate path set for his vision to fulfill. The idea thus far is to make a single film that encapsulates a certain part of the story, and then make sequels as resources dictate. This is the kind of planning that resulted in the folly of the Matrix sequels. If ADV is really going to make a live action Evangelion movie, and also leave itself the possibilty for sequels, they have to take that possibility and either determine to carry it out, doing all that can be done to make its entirety great before even one frame of the first film is shot, or drop it altogether and make a completely out-of-the-way CG-spectacular summary of Evangelion. Okay, maybe the latter option is a grim assesment, but last time word was released, the long term path of the film(s) seemed too steeped in uncertainty. This might be due to a lack of resources to plan any further, so I must say: "If you won't let a rich cousin help pay for the paint, leave your house alone, and don't paint it part-way."

What the film needs is purpose. This may not be a requisite of all films, but unless it's going to be a Power Rangers movie with gore, it's a requisite of this one.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:16 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:What it needs is a long-term direction for the license. I'm not just talking about a good director, but an ultimate path set for his vision to fulfill. The idea thus far is to make a single film that encapsulates a certain part of the story, and then make sequels as resources dictate. This is the kind of planning that resulted in the folly of the Matrix sequels. If ADV is really going to make a live action Evangelion movie, and also leave itself the possibilty for sequels, they have to take that possibility and either determine to carry it out, doing all that can be done to make its entirety great before even one frame of the first film is shot, or drop it altogether and make a completely out-of-the-way CG-spectacular summary of Evangelion. Okay, maybe the latter option is a grim assesment, but last time word was released, the long term path of the film(s) seemed too steeped in uncertainty. This might be due to a lack of resources to plan any further, so I must say: "If you won't let a rich cousin help pay for the paint, leave your house alone, and don't paint it part-way."

What the film needs is purpose. This may not be a requisite of all films, but unless it's going to be a Power Rangers movie with gore, it's a requisite of this one.

That was a beautiful post.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:57 pm

Of course, I could toot my own horn and say that my patent-pending A-6 equasion could stand alone as a good film without any sequels to follow it, but then, we aren't talking about me, now, are we? In other words, it is possible to prove my last post completely wrong.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:11 pm

-Competant child actors
-A visionary director (THIS IS FUCKING VITAL)
-A veteran cinematographer (Bill Pope, anyone?)
-A plot that sticks relatively close to the anime and doesn't diverge too much.
-An extremely hard PG-13 rating for the film(s) that covers the show, an R rating for the film that covers EoE.
Last edited by Winslow Leach on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Bud
Lilith

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:29 pm

Winslow Leach wrote:An extremely hard PG-13 rating for the part of the film(s) that covers the show, an R rating for the section of the film(s) that covers EoE.

Umm. How does that work? A rating is given to the whole film, not sections of the film. And the movie will most likely not cover EoE.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”