Shinji & Rei in Q/3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shinji_boohoo:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 am

Legend: By "dual roles" I meant reconciling both her Yui and Lilith aspects. Unless that's what you meant and if so, interesting way to think about it.

Also, a tearful end for Rei and Shinji wouldn't surprise me, I think there will be something along those lines, too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 am

What if Rebuild's "new, twist ending" involved Shinji leaving Rei behind in a complete role reversal of some sort?

OOOOOHHHHHH

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 am

I expect something like the bit of dialogue from an early draft of EoE:

Why are you crying?"
"Because you're alive, Ayanami. Because you're here."
"I'm sorry. I don't know what to do at times like this."
Second Rei: "You should smile."

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:03 am

Luc: Yes, that line's great with it's revistation of the smile scene. Here's hoping.

Aura: Newtype USA at least never mentioned a twist ending, just that it'd be a "brand new ending" in comparison with the series.

Still, some would probably argue Shinji "left" Rei given how freaked out he was in 23'/24' and EoE. I think the real (HIGHLY unlikely) twist would be Rei executing Gendo's Instrumentality...but changing her mind/choosing Shinji during it. That'd be kind of lame unless done right, actually.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:41 am

^ Well, new ending in itself encompasses every possibility. And compared to the original, any new ending would be a "twist".

I still stand by my random speculation that ultimately, Kaworu will be the one to destroy Rei's physical form, so he can take over Instrumentality (i mean come on, who here thinks that he's really going to make Shinji lovey-dovey happy?).
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Lucretius wrote:I expect something like the bit of dialogue from an early draft of EoE:

Why are you crying?"
"Because you're alive, Ayanami. Because you're here."
"I'm sorry. I don't know what to do at times like this."
Second Rei: "You should smile."

You hear this Anno! This is a perfect example of repition done right in motion picture form!!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:That is a very interesting picture, since 2.0 everyone feels Shinji is total GAR but we will see. Being manly enough will cause TI.
I don't quite think so, at least by what I saw from 2ch saw his actions as being protective in a rather maternal way (especially the part about rescuing his kid Ayanami from the monster), and it wasn't any sort of sudden action either: it seems that from the start Rei has served to sort of further Shinji's protective drive. The original show wasn't any different in that respect, but Shinji mothering/nourishing Rei is certanly a more prominent element this time around, It wouldn't be wrong to say that Shin-chan seems to have become the closest thing to family Rei has. Of course the twincest(Twin is a valid designation now seeing as how they both share the same womb, it certanly was something of a culmination to the parallel element Anno has had between the two) element and emphasis of their parallels is also more present, and that sort of contrasts rather interestingly with their more divergent elements.
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway something interesting I noticed during the viewing of that scene is right after Shinji says "It's alright like this", it almost looks (hard to completely tell given the crappy camrip) that Shinji and Rei are fading away. Guess they really are absorbed by Eva since that's what the Q Preview mentions.
I kind of thought the same thing from that dialogue and look it does seem like the two have lost their distinction, it sort of reminds me about the part from instrumentality about loosing the barriers that separate individuals.
SaltyJoe wrote:I still stand by my random speculation that ultimately, Kaworu will be the one to destroy Rei's physical form, so he can take over Instrumentality (i mean come on, who here thinks that he's really going to make Shinji lovey-dovey happy?).
Yes ROEKaworu did seem to have a sort of manga type obsession with Shinji, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to force him into "happiness". Incidentally this version of Kaworu does seem more GAR, if not some what more "queer" with his Shinji talk and purple jumpsuit. You might be right about Kaworu coming between the twins, it does look like they might have been represented by the two cores that formed on their mama, but Kaworu broke one of them so that might prevent the remanifestation of the two forms. If that does happen, and Shinji comes back I'm sure it could become a plot element with Kaworu (I'm sort of reminded of the "And I believed you..."/ :shinji_boohoo: part from first draft of 24...incidentally that Shinji was rather similar to RoEji character wise.), or it could have unintended consequences and directly affect both of them(seeing as how they lost the distinction between each other, Ritsuko's talk, Kaworu breaking the core, and Anno's history for trolling a chimera result isn't impossible here).
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:10 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:I still stand by my random speculation that ultimately, Kaworu will be the one to destroy Rei's physical form, so he can take over Instrumentality (i mean come on, who here thinks that he's really going to make Shinji lovey-dovey happy?).

Speculation-wise I have know idea what Kaworu has up his sleeve, though I did think from the start that he wants to control Instrumentality on his terms (I seriously doubt it's to make Shinji "lovely-dovey happy" , though that could be a small part of whatever his plans are).

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:24 pm

I like the idea that Kaworu's a crazy yandere psychopath who's planning to kill all life but Shinji and himself, and give Shinji his ideal world, so long as it's just the two of them in it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:03 am

AuraTwilight wrote:a crazy yandere psychopath who's planning to kill all life
Birds of a feather flocking together?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Shinji's not a yandere.

Unless that's in reference to me, or something, in which case it's pretty accurate.

Napul
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Napul » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Shinji in 3.0? :chinscratch:
Omluvte hor

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Uke, you might should have put that in a spoiler tag. IMO

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Uke, you might should have put that in a spoiler tag.

The thread title says (SPOILERS) and according to the spoiler rules spoiler tags are not necessary in threads with a (SPOILERS) mark.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:43 pm

I was referring to image size, so It doesnt take up a lot of stuff on the page. Again I might be being ignorant. :blush: If thats the case, please ignore me.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:48 am

ukulelembo wrote:Shinji in 3.0? :chinscratch:

God i hope not. Having Shinji in a constant God mode would leave the story with less tension than a flacid rubber band.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Yep. Only Yui-sama works in God mode, that is when she feels the need to do something. :smirk:

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Some just seem to think that if they are not romantically linked at the end of Rebuild, Shinji has somehow turned his back on her?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:48 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:Some just seem to think that if they are not romantically linked at the end of Rebuild, Shinji has somehow turned his back on her?

I guess so, which is beyond me considering her never "turned his back on her" in-series, he was just freaked out when he realized that she had a connection to Yui and equally freaked out when seeing GNR before 3I. Huge difference between being understandably scared and betraying Rei, I'd say. (Besides, he's able to come to terms with Rei before Instrumentality ends and even thanks Rei/holds her hand.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”