Evangelion Units in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:20 pm

It'd be interesting to see Shinji pilot a different Eva.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Unit 07's gonna have cupholders. The ultimate giant robot. Why show something that amazing in a trailer? S'gatta wait for the big screen.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 am

Just some thoughts and speculation, so don't take it too seriously.

Unit 07
Pilot - I'm guessing 07 will probably have one of the pilots currently without an eva (Rei or Mari) or they'll grab someone from the existing cast that is eligible to pilot (Toji or anyone else from the class)

Status - Unit 05 seemed to only be used to introduce Mari as an eva pilot in the 2.0 and Unit 06 seemed to actually be important to the plot. The only thing I could think of Unit 07 doing since it was more implied than mentioned is get destroyed really fast like Unit 05.

Unit 08
Pilot - Well, the preview said "Unit 08 and its pilot will be awakened". The only existing characters I can think of with anything to wake up are Rei, Kaworu, and Mari. Rei and Kaworu because in the original series, they had the souls of angels in them. Mari is just a wild card variable in this whole thing.

Status - Um, in space? I can't add much, but I do think Unit 08 could end up being used in Rebuild's version of SEELE vs. NERV.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 am

Pointless speculation is pointless, but if i don't pull things regularly out of my ass, it will get clogged up. So:

Unit-02:
At the beginnig of 3.0, it will likely be under repairs (also, another possible design update). Stays that way for much of the remainig story, until some potential final showdown with whomever.

However, when that happens, it won't be piloted by Asuka, but by Mari, who herself will be in custody for a good portion of the remaining films (that doesn't necessarily omit charcter interaction or development, mind you).

Mark06:
The drool inducing, extra smexy Eva of Kaworu.. will not see any conventional action in the movies, at least up until the grand finale, and maybe not event then. Rather, it's main role will be to yank out 01 of it's armour (we'll get back to that later), and initiate the "rituals" Seele so ominously babbled about in 2.0, with the intent of bringing about a version of Third Impact suitable to the kabbalistic council's needs.

Oh yeah, Seele (and by proxy, Kaworu), will have direct control over this baby. No one at Nerv will be eligible to utter commands regarding it's use, but everybody at Nerv will have to let it's pilot do whatever he pleases. In short, Kaworu will be his own boss.

Unit-07:
Another Seele owned/controlled puppy, a joint Asian-European development, a prototype for a new generation of Evas. Yes, i'm thinking about the Harpies (whom may or may not feature in the following films). As i imagine it, Unit-07 will basically be an overengineered version of the good ol' MP Evas (think Gunbuster vs. Sizzler, for the truly hopeless out there), complete with wings, design updates and without the cherry lips.

It's main role will be to act as a bodyguard for the Mark06 during the time when it gets 01 out of her old shell, which will conveniently coincide with the appearence of the 11th Angel. Also, to basically kill anybody whom Seele deems a threat.

By way of exclusion and irony, the only possible pilot candidate is Asuka (who may or may not got a boost in her piloting skills after being touched by an Angel). After she "died" and officially got erased fom Nerv's piloting roster, Seele decides to conscript her as a butcher/meatshield, since they can smell that there are forces working against them (beisdes the usual suspects). May or may not rejoin the "good" guys for the finale. Moral ambiguity FTW (also, i would really like to see a more proactive Seele).

Unit-08:
Reichu and Lili, when translating the Seele/Gendo conference about Japan getting 03, came across a sentence where Gendo said something along the lines of "The True Evangelion will be completed using Shogouki after discarding it's original chassis.", or something to that effect. In another thread, i pointed out some visual clues that might hint towards Unit-08 actually being Unit-01 in a new body (I'm too lazy to look up either).

So yeah, as far as speculations go, i think that 08 is actually the deified 01, put in an armor that will allow Seele (who else?) to exert at least some control over her. It's main role will probably be similar to what we saw in EoE: it won't be piloted in the usual sense of the word, but will rather serve as an Instrumentality Engine.

I think that she will get her new armor in Central Dogma, and that the Mark06 will play a crucial role in keeping her under control. Lilith will also be involved in there, somewhere.

As for a pilot, Shinji will pilot it in name only, the real "boss" being either Yui, Rei, or both.

And that's for random guessing.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:22 pm

That is an interesting speculation, maybe they don't mean a whole new body but just a new chest piece of something along those lines such as the front of it ripping off to make space for the S2 Organ seen in 2.0.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Unit 07 will be piloted by the Magi. Thats why it didnt say anything about the pilot.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:49 am

That's....actually sort of an interesting idea. It'd be like a Dummy Plug based off of Naoko Akagi, though, and thus would be useless.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:13 am

SaltyJoe: I like your thoughts, though based on the Q preview I think Asuka still has Eva-02 and Mari gets 07. We'll see I guess.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm quite sure it will be mana who will pilot it, so we can have the 5 minutes of staredown a la kaworu
ANATA BAKA !?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:10 pm

....you mean Mari? Please tell me you meant Mari, and not Mana.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Nope, mana from girlfriend of steel, she was a undercover agent, and we already have one spy pilot, mari seem to be working for Kaji under gendo.
So would make sense to send a counter spy.
ANATA BAKA !?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:31 pm

I'd hate it if Mana was brought into the Rebuild-Universe.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I'd hate it if Mana was brought into the Rebuild-Universe.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Oh crap! Thanks for pointing out that typo.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 pm

bladerj wrote:Nope, mana from girlfriend of steel, she was a undercover agent, and we already have one spy pilot, mari seem to be working for Kaji under gendo.
So would make sense to send a counter spy.

I know who Mana is. I was hoping you were misspoken because throwing in Mana would be the most ballfuck idiot idea that could ever take place. Not only was Mana a terrible, terrible, terrible character, but there's barely enough time to develop all the characters we have as it is. We still know nothing about Mari, there's no goddamn room.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I'd hate it if Mana was brought into the Rebuild-Universe.
I would be highly amused.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Unit-08:
Reichu and Lili, when translating the Seele/Gendo conference about Japan getting 03, came across a sentence where Gendo said something along the lines of "The True Evangelion will be completed using Shogouki after discarding it's original chassis.", or something to that effect.

I think that interpretation might be based on a somewhat questionable translation of one verb we did back then - I later realized, looking at the "official subs" and doing a double-check, that the verb used in that line might be taken to mean simply, "The true Evangelion... this means the current units INCLUDING EVA 01 will serve as usher(s) up to its completion".

LiLi Out :salute:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:17 am

^ Thanks. Still doesn't put a complete lid on my theory, though.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:24 am

SaltyJoe wrote:^ Thanks. Still doesn't put a complete lid on my theory, though.

Sure. I was just talking about your interpretation/rewording of the translation. :wink:

I personally think Eva 08 might not be the True Evangelion SEELE had in mind - IMHO that role would seem to fit Eva 06 better.

Perhaps Eva 08 might be Gendo's somewhat antagonistic (Eva 01-derived) version of that?

Rather, it's main role will be to yank out 01 of it's armour (we'll get back to that later), and initiate the "rituals" Seele so ominously babbled about in 2.0

You make it sound so R-ated... :blush:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:51 am

LiLi wrote:Perhaps Eva 08 might be Gendo's somewhat antagonistic (Eva 01-derived) version of that?

Maybe, but seeing how Nerv is wrecked and Seele will likely have heads rolling for the little awakening stunt pulled at the end of 2.0 ("Nerv personnel under custody", said the trailer for "Q"), i don't think anyone but Seele itself will have the resources to start constructing a new Eva.

You make it sound so R-ated... :blush:

And it should be! Not because of hawt Kaworu/Shinji action: we might finally get a decent look at a naked Eva! I would have a double geekgasm if that were to happen.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”