9 coffins (+ Seele's Involvement)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kamina
Adam

9 coffins (+ Seele's Involvement)

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:18 am

I have had my copy of Rebuild 1.01 on the good old repeat title function on PS3 and realized this and i had seen a few people mention this roughly but they never got an answer if their seemed to be any significance and their was no mention of this before.

In the last scene of rebuild Kawaru is shown climbing out of a coffin like box on the moon and their are nine on screen including his own. While in the End of Evangelion their are 9 EVA production models that all were piloted by plugs labeled with Kawaru on the side inferring that Kawaru may have been used in the dummy plugs rather then a Rei.

It seems to be plausible that all 9 Kawaru could of been somehow retained and recovered within the fossilized EVA production models and placed in coffin like devices to hold them. If they worked like Rei seemed to in the show each time they were created to replace the last they seemed to have reasonably up to date memory of events before the Rei's death. Possibly explaining how Kawaru could possibly remember Shinji from the events in EoE. I would rather this not become a sequel thread but i found this rather odd and i wanted to see if anyone had anything to add to this or if their is a known explanation.

Update: The most commonly explanation among the boards is that they represent the angels within the films. Wont really know if either is true in the end until the Rebuild films clarify further.
Last edited by Kamina on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: 9 coffins [SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:03 am

It seems to be plausible that all 9 Kawaru could of been somehow retained and recovered within the fossilized EVA production models and placed in coffin like devices to hold them. If they worked like Rei seemed to in the show each time they were created to replace the last they seemed to have reasonably up to date memory of events before the Rei's death.

Well Rebuild isn't a sequel, it's not in the same Evangelion continuity. So no way of that!
Possibly explaining how Kawaru could possibly remember Shinji from the events in EoE.

Y'know it is possible that Kaworu could have met Shinji when Shinji was younger like in Angelic Days.

Kamina wrote:In the last scene of rebuild Kawaru is shown climbing out of a coffin like box on the moon and their are nine on screen including his own.

IIRC, someone had suggested the coffins probably contained the angels.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:29 am

@Kamina:
Well, firstly, we don't know if there are clones inside the Dummy Plugs. What we do know, is that a Dummy Plug contains the basic thought patterns of a certain individual. By what method that is achieved is unknown.

Secondly, even if there were fully grown clone bodies of Kaworu in each of the Eva Series Dummy Plugs, they couldn't possibly have any sort of recollection of what happened since.. well, they don't contain a soul, and thus, by the Evaverse's rules, they don't function as individuals.

Lastly, regarding clones and retaining of memories: actually, what was shown in the series is the opposite of what you described in your post. When Rei's soul was transferred into a new body in Ep. 23, memory loss occured (or something like that). It is reasonable to think that with each subsequent soul transfer, the memory of the transferred individual would become more and more eroded.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:21 pm

'Well Rebuild isn't a sequel, it's not in the same Evangelion continuity" You know I hope it is because you don't want it to be so badly. You say it is not but really you have no prof, only theories.

I don't believe there are 9 Kaworus within those boxes but that might be where the Angels were but I mean I don't know how they got to Earth so maybe the boxers...umm, hell I don't know lets just wait and see.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:You know I hope it is because you don't want it to be so badly.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:You know I hope it is because you don't want it to be so badly.

Do you truly find it necessary to post just a smiley, I do not.

Anyway, on topic..Each coffin could count for an Angel but there are more then nine Angels but of course the number of the Angels is wonky this time around. I don't believe that is where the Angels were "born" and I use that term lightly. I do wonder why Nagisa was in there.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:Do you truly find it necessary to post just a smiley, I do not.
Maybe I do and maybe I don't. They're many answers in the merry-go-round known as life that can't be answered so easily. It takes trial and error to look deep down and find the answer we are all looking for. As long as we continue to live we will always find ourselves asking questions with answers we may never truly know. That is the reason why we must keep our heads up high and our will strong for if we don't... We may never, never know exactly...
SPOILER: Show
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:38 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:Lastly, regarding clones and retaining of memories: actually, what was shown in the series is the opposite of what you described in your post. When Rei's soul was transferred into a new body in Ep. 23, memory loss occured (or something like that). It is reasonable to think that with each subsequent soul transfer, the memory of the transferred individual would become more and more eroded.

All that was missing were the events immediately preceding death. She still knew how to walk, talk, dress herself, find her way home, ect.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:50 pm

@ThePRPD: What the fuck are you doing in this thread?

@Topic: That is an interesting observation, and if the Sequel Theory did turn out to be true that might turn out to be a plausible explanation for the coffins. However, if the Sequel Theory does not hold, neither does this. The coffins could mean a number of things, and I think the best theory that goes along with this is that the coffins represent the Angels.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kamina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 am

I guess thier was some bias in my post i kinda like the idea of a sequel even tho i know its not one as far as we know and is not likely, and i know they never put a soul filled Rei or Kwaru at the within the dummy plugs as far as we know, it was never explained in much detail other then that someones brain patterns are mimicked but its still recognizably different to the dominant souls in the eva for example when the plug is rejected by unit one during the 16th episode.

For all we know they could of possible used a simple artificial soul based on the data they recorded on the pilots during the series and took those aspects of the person and applied them into a Rei or Kwaru doll as i will call it. Nerve knew enough about transferring and managing souls that they could move Lilith's soul from one Rei to another no problem and keep its memories, and she was more then willing to die knowing her existence as it was.

Also as someone above posted they seemed to be recording memories somehow because Rei could still function and recognized people but as in one episode you mentioned after Rei absorbed the angel into the eva's core and detonated unit 0, she just didn't remember that she saved Shinji nothing more. She remembered at least up till recent memory but yes the memory or rather he outlook on things changed through the series as she died each time especially towards Gendo who she turns against and stole his arm after idolizing him most the show. :grin:

The Angelic Days idea is possible i liked the series but some of the art was not that great at times, that way they could make his interactions the second time around appear less gay to some.

And the idea representing the angels, do we know how many will be in the series of films by the end, if their is nine then it works if not then their goes that idea. Either way it seems it all relies on the outcome of the films so i guess we have to wait a few years for this to pan out.....o well lol i hate waiting.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:42 pm

There's no such thing as an artificial soul.

Kamina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:14 pm

I didn't mean literally a fake soul, that was an example describing how little we know on how the dummy plugs actually worked by the end of the original series. Didn't mean for that to be a plausible description of how it may work, but for all we know it could of been, get what im getting at. All we know is the brain activity patterns of the user from the a10 nerve is mimicked somehow that is it and that bodies without a soul, a Rei was used in the process.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:39 pm

@ThePRPD: What the fuck are you doing in this thread?

@Topic: That is an interesting observation, and if the Sequel Theory did turn out to be true that might turn out to be a plausible explanation for the coffins. However, if the Sequel Theory does not hold, neither does this. The coffins could mean a number of things, and I think the best theory that goes along with this is that the coffins represent the Angels.

That is what i was trying to say, represent...Ga, could not think of that word so thank you Sachi and I believe the pizza guy just likes being a failtroll but anyway the Coffins as you said most likely represent the Angels and while I don't know how Kaworu got there and rather it is old Kaworu or a new Kaworu or The same soul in a different body is up to question. All I can assume is that it is indeed the same Nagisa from the past and I don't know how he got here, Its Eva remember.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:51 pm

I've always gone by the coffins representing the angels. I never really thought about other possibilities since there hasn't been any major evidence yet.
Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:I believe the pizza guy just likes being a failtroll
I just felt like being a wiseass after your post. I'm over it now. My apologies.

Hiten777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hiten777 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 pm

I agree, I think the coffins have more to do with the angels than Kaworu clones, then again we got the so called "children with chosen destinies." The only contradiction is that there are more angels than unopened coffins as they said in the movie (8 left I think).

Don't really think RoE is a sequel but that it has archetypes carried over from EoE. I think of this as a more modern telling of the show, just not like the Eureka movie is to the show.

Kamina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:04 am

It definitely could end up having some importance but until we know how the new films clarify, we wont know. Simple as that and until this gets clarified keep posting ideas, if possible in detail of what it could mean.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Well here's something to blow your minds.

Each coffin holds an Eva pilot!
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Hiten777 wrote:The only contradiction is that there are more angels than unopened coffins as they said in the movie (8 left I think).

Could be one more offscreen, which WOULD make things line up.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

On the Moon...

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 pm

What exactly is in those coffins on the surface of the moon, the Angels, or the MP Evas?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Angels most likely since Kaworu came out of one.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”