What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Watching and being disappointed by Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Good, but could have been fucking amazing with a better director and a doubled episode count. Too much was squeezed in too fast, and the director tries too hard to copy his success with Higurashi, by giving people (usually Maria) ****ing creepy facial expressions that don't really belong.

Also watching Soul Eater and FMA Brotherhood still.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 am

Ironfoot wrote:18 hour marathon of Space Runaway Ideon.
So, not the stamina to do Be Invoked at least?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Ironfoot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:So, not the stamina to do Be Invoked at least?

I decided to wait until today and I'm glad I did because this would've kept me up throughout the night. Wow, amazing movie. Its even better than the main series in many spots. To be honest, I was not expecting to find the father of EoE here. I knew that Ideon was a major inspiration for Evangelion, but not EoE. That was a pleasant surprise. I've been watching many of the series that inspired the creation of Evangelion, and it's been a very interesting experience because it sheds Evangelion in a completely different light.

alabaster
Lilith

Postby alabaster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 pm

I forgot to mention that I finished Wolf's Rain recently. I enjoyed it but I was constantly distracted by everyone's noses. The way they are drawn looks terrible. ;)

http://www.pureanimegallery.com/d/3178- ... s-rain.jpg

Watched the first two episodes of Berserk.....interesting. I know absolutely nothing about the technical aspect of animation but you can sure tell the difference between the animation in Berserk and the animation in say, Eureka Seven. Berserk looks pretty bad beside a show like that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

alabaster wrote:I forgot to mention that I finished Wolf's Rain recently. I enjoyed it but I was constantly distracted by everyone's noses. The way they are drawn looks terrible. ;)

http://www.pureanimegallery.com/d/3178- ... s-rain.jpg

AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 pm

alabaster wrote:Watched the first two episodes of Berserk.....interesting. I know absolutely nothing about the technical aspect of animation but you can sure tell the difference between the animation in Berserk and the animation in say, Eureka Seven. Berserk looks pretty bad beside a show like that.

Berserk - 1997
Eureka Seven - 2005

Obviously, E7 is going to look better. However, despite the prettier animation, E7 is a huge steaming pile of shit. Berserk is one of the greatest anime of all time.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:11 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
alabaster wrote:Watched the first two episodes of Berserk.....interesting. I know absolutely nothing about the technical aspect of animation but you can sure tell the difference between the animation in Berserk and the animation in say, Eureka Seven. Berserk looks pretty bad beside a show like that.

Berserk - 1997
Eureka Seven - 2005

Obviously, E7 is going to look better. However, despite the prettier animation, E7 is a huge steaming pile of shit. Berserk is one of the greatest anime of all time.

i find some older anime has better animation than newer ones. sure the newer ones might look prettier but they seem to take even more shortcuts. Ichi the Killer had terrible animation and was boring as hell, same with Straight Jacket. Akira's animation was brilliant on the other hand
I have no signature!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Akira's animation was brilliant on the other hand

That's because Akira was a big budget movie with a lot of attention to detail so it's not really fare to compare it to lower budget oavs even if the oavs were made more recently.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

alabaster
Lilith

Postby alabaster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Wow, I love Eureka Seven. I feel like I should hang my head in shame, but I won't.

Now I'm really curious about Berserk. I want to see if it lives up to your claim, BrikHaus. :wink:

Eva was done in 1995 right? It looks better than Berserk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Defectron wrote:
Akira's animation was brilliant on the other hand

That's because Akira was a big budget movie with a lot of attention to detail so it's not really fare to compare it to lower budget oavs even if the oavs were made more recently.

yeah i was thinking of that while typing.

budget is one of the biggest influences on quality but a lot of new animes just seem lazy
I have no signature!

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:40 am

I finished TTGL just now. My thoughts about it are really mixed. In a way I kinda liked how they had the whole "real men will grow to the size of the universe" going on, at at the same time I think that it really should've ended with the Moon part, as after that things started to get a little too outrageous. I wish that they had spent more time developing the characters, even if it meant not chasing the Anti-Spirals to the ends of existence. The character development, IMO, worked, but it seemed too minimal and replaced by the sheer outrageousness-overkill.

in short, tggl went a little overboard with the epic-ness and left too little in terms of character development, despite having some of the most awesome themes of all anime.

8/10

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:45 am

I think that it really should've ended with the Moon part, as after that things started to get a little too outrageous.

But that was the best part of the whole series!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:46 am

Defectron wrote:
I think that it really should've ended with the Moon part, as after that things started to get a little too outrageous.

THIS!

As for the second half of TTGL, episodes 17-21 are all development episodes with action here and there. But once episode 21 gets going, it stays going and going.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:52 am

Defectron wrote:

Well it was epic and I have to say that I feel a lot better now (since I stayed up all night writing an essay that sucked ass), but I feel like they sacrificed potential character development in exchange of simply 'extending" the setting.

The Moon part was good. They should've kept the anti-spiral battle. But that should've been the end. With more character development prior to that scene, I think it would've been epic on a whole new, nonlinear level. It may have even rivaled NGE.
But sadly that's not the case, so 8/10 it is.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:13 am

bahhh

when you have mechas throwing shurikens (and craziest budget ever on tv anime) I couldn't care less about "character development"

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 am

In my opinion, the way they ended TTGL is the only way they could have possibly ended the show. I mean, come on, the show was all about being as badass as possible. If you are looking for more character development in Gurren Lagann, you have already failed to see what's the point of the whole show.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 am

Oz wrote:In my opinion, the way they ended TTGL is the only way they could have possibly ended the show. I mean, come on, the show was all about being as badass as possible. If you are looking for more character development in Gurren Lagann, you have already failed to see what's the point of the whole show.

yup

I WANT MY ITSUWARI NO UTAHIME CAMRIP ALREADY

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:26 am

LeoXiao wrote:With more character development prior to that scene, I think it would've been epic on a whole new, nonlinear level. It may have even rivaled NGE.

How much more character development did you need? Everyone pretty much completed their character arcs. Simon learned to be independent without Kamina, Kittan gave the ultimate sacrifice, Nia came to terms with her inevitable fate, Viral reformed his evil ways, and Yoko moved on with her muliple losses. What is left to develop? The character arcs in TTGL are more complete than in the vast majority of other anime series. Shoehorning in extra character stuff would have seemed artificial at best. And the fact that we get closure on just about everything, and then we get additional episodes of badass, epic battles is icing on the cake.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:53 am

you forgot Rossiu acknowledging being total dick is bad thing

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 am

alabaster wrote: Eva was done in 1995 right? It looks better than Berserk.
Really? I thought Berserk was far more visually detailed & lush than NGE, but I might just be more partial to Berserk’s style…
Oz wrote: In my opinion, the way they ended TTGL is the only way they could have possibly ended the show.
Exactly. Each arc was about taking the “you can do it!” attitude to the next logical extreme—and there’s only one way it could end before they went metafictional on our asses (which they pretty much did anyway); the DEATH of a fucking UNIVERSE and killing a GOD. That’s so badass. Stopping at the moon would be like drawing a boundary—and TTGL was all about blowing up those boundaries with giant robots.
BrikHaus wrote: The character arcs in TTGL are more complete than in the vast majority of other anime series. Shoehorning in extra character stuff would have seemed artificial at best.
:lol: QFT! Though a lot of anime fans seem to confuse melodramatic angst with “character development”… maybe that’s what people expected out of TTGL. Except that TTGL doesn’t DO angst. TTGL does manly tears and explosions.

Ironfoot wrote:Space Runaway Ideon […and stuff]
Planning on watching that after I come down off my Leiji Matsumoto binge. Probably won’t get to it until Dec./Jan., though…

Watched A Wind Named Amnesia and rewatched Project A-Ko today. AWNA was great; animation as pretty impressive for early-90’s, and even though it was probably better suited to an OVA with its storytelling, it pulled itself off well and didn’t establish parameters that it couldn’t fulfill. Project A-Ko I watched a LONG time ago, and watching it again on DVD made me feel nostalgic. It was every bit as awesome as I remember though… just a little sillier than I recall.

Also started Real Drive, to hell with Higurashi season 2—I’m sticking that shit on hold and/or dropping it. Only two episodes into RD, but the visuals have already fulfilled my expectations.

Return to “Old Stickies”