Should I even bother with Rebuild?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Should I even bother with Rebuild?

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:10 am

Uhm, i think most of the replies missed answering the Op's main question:
Rahaquiel-2D1S wrote:Is it possible to watch the Rebuild films as a stand-alone movie series, or does it rely on Wild Mass Guessing (You'd know what I mean if you go to TV Tropes)?Like, is it possible to understand it or do you just have to make something up?

Actually, though there are new mysteries and complexities added all over the place, as expected, the story itself seems much tighter and clearer than the original. And besides, it's not like Rebuild is over already, so a lot of things that seem to be so far unexplained will probably get addressed in the sequels. Sure, some mysteries will probably remain mysteries forever, but that is part of the Eva package. So yeah, it's pretty comprehensible, IMHO.

And as for the general thread question: yeah, you should bother with it. Even if you are a diehard purist who would frown upon the smallest of deviations from the original, i would still recommend checking it out, if, for nothing else, because it's so damn pretty.

Also, a word of advice on 2.0: i guess you are already in this mindset, but don't spoil yourself before watching it. I did, and in retrospect, i must say that doing so obviously lessened the experience.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:32 am

It's worth it, if for no other reason besides the vastly improved animation. Let's say you hate the Rebuild storyline. So what? You get to see angel battles as they "should've" looked, such as with Ramiel and Sahaquiel. Honestly, if the entirety of Rebuild 2 was garbage except for the Sahaquiel battle, it would still be worth watching for that alone.
Gamer_2k4

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:52 am

Oh, I was always on the verge of watching it due to the awesome and interesting designs and animation. I'm looking at you, Ramiel and EVA-05. The music is totally awesome as well. It's just that I don't want to have to watch rebuild while making random guessing or looking up the religious symbolism. Didn't Anno say before that the symbolism was just for show, anyway?
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:19 am

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see Rebuild, since a number of people were hating on it for existing at all... but I decided to give it a chance. I've only watched the first hour and fifteen minutes of it, but... WHOA! I like what they've done with it, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the movies!! If I was in your place, I'd at least give it a chance.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Pretty as it is, Rebuild still seems like a poorly edited clipshow to me. It's like Death and Rebirth with the addition of Poochie.
Last edited by Lucretius on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Rahaquiel-2D1S wrote:Didn't Anno say before that the symbolism was just for show, anyway?

It's probably still is just for show.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:21 pm

Lucretius wrote:Pretty as it is, Rebuild still seems like a poorly edited clipshow to me. It's like Death and Rebirth with the addition of Poochie.

Well, you just caused me to have the biggest facepalm moment of my ENTIRE life.

iggy456
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iggy456 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Lucretius wrote:Pretty as it is, Rebuild still seems like a poorly edited clipshow to me. It's like Death and Rebirth with the addition of Poochie.

:facepalm: sigh. Really no one is forcing you to watch Rebuild.
I am a big fan Evangelion . Also I love movies like 9, The Dark Crystal . and many more. I love cthulhu. I hate fanboys/girls of any kind.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Why does everyone get so butthurt whenever I say Rebuild's not a 10/10 masterpiece? I wanted to like it; it just wasn't that good.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:56 pm

I think the Rebuild-fans are still seething over the Asuka fans that had such extreme out of proportion "butthurt" over the various THEY CHANGED MAH Asuka crap, but either way, people ARE going to have their own opinions on it, so things really shouldn't matter in the end. :shrug:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Should you bother with Rebuild? Well yes, of course. Dont you want to see what Anno has up his sleeves this time? Also: mecha action scenes.

Duh?
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Lucretius wrote:Why does everyone get so butthurt whenever I say Rebuild's not a 10/10 masterpiece? I wanted to like it; it just wasn't that good.

It's nowhere even near the clipshow that Death and Rebirth is.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:30 pm

backseatjesus wrote:It's nowhere even near the clipshow that Death and Rebirth is.

Clipshow in terms of pacing more than content. Even though half of it is new, it still feels like a mash-up of a TV show.

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:05 am

Lucretius wrote:
backseatjesus wrote:It's nowhere even near the clipshow that Death and Rebirth is.

Clipshow in terms of pacing more than content. Even though half of it is new, it still feels like a mash-up of a TV show.

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11: 100 minutes
Evangelion TV ep 1-6: 6*20 minutes (to account for redundant credits), 120 minutes.

Rebuild has lost all of 20 minutes from the TV series, a good chunk of this from the slimmed down the the "Shinji runs away" arc.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:50 am

^ Don't pretend like you don't know that 2.0 is the real offender in the bad pacing department. Apart from the conclusion, it's still is mostly derived from the TV series, and according to many (myself included) it misuses the material on several occasions, and lots of the new scenes (decontamination scene, for example) add little to the overall story, yet are disproportionately long.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 am

@Topic Question:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rebuild of Evangelion are two separate things and one shouldn't affect the other. No matter how much you may love or hate Rebuild, it's not going to change how much you loved or hated NGE. Even if 3.0 and Final completely suck monkey balls it won't ruin the original. Think of Rebuild as the ultimate fanfic, except that it's by the original creator. Do fanfics or doujinshi ruin your enjoyment of the original show? Probably not.

In other words, NGE =/= Rebuild; don't bitch about it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:54 am

Sachi wrote:@Topic Question:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rebuild of Evangelion are two separate things and one shouldn't affect the other. No matter how much you may love or hate Rebuild, it's not going to change how much you loved or hated NGE. Even if 3.0 and Final completely suck monkey balls it won't ruin the original. Think of Rebuild as the ultimate fanfic, except that it's by the original creator. Do fanfics or doujinshi ruin your enjoyment of the original show? Probably not.

In other words, NGE =/= Rebuild; don't bitch about it.

I'm with ya on that!! :smirk:
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Indeed. People criticizing movies you liked is just plain wrong and should never happen, ever. :|

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:55 pm

SaltyJoe wrote: lots of the new scenes (decontamination scene, for example) add little to the overall story, yet are disproportionately long.

Those 26 seconds could be used for what exactly in order to add more to the overall story?
SPOILER: Show
(aside from it letting the viewer know the extent the facility was willing to go through to keep the "contamination" from 2nd impact out of the facility)

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:08 am

Ornette wrote:Those 26 seconds could be used for what exactly in order to add more to the overall story?

SPOILER: Show
The need to get decontaminated is already there, simply because it was stated that it has to be done. For me, that alone would be enough, and the rest is just zany antics. As for what could have been done with that 26 seconds:

-Show Mari doing something besides being quirky/cool, so she wouldn't feel like such an emotional void when she gets into Eva-02. Some extra communication with Kaji, where she expresses something of her personality, for example.

-Speaking of Kaji, besides delivering the Key to Gendo, and probably helping Mari to get inside Nerv, his whole espionaging is handled by showing a 5 or so seconds shot of him, smoking while eavesdropping on Fuyu and Gendo via some gadget. I don't feel the need to be spoonfed, but that's pretty slim.

And that's not the only case: besides the essentials (Shinji talking to Rei and Shinji getting praised for his cooking), most of the aquarium scene could have been cut. It's mostly just an outlet for the animation team to show what they can do. Now we gained about 90 seconds of running time to be redistributed freely for anything else, basically.

And generally, i think there is a good 5-6 minutes of the movie that could have been used differently for greater effect and a more evenly paced experience.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”