What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:31 am

:lol: I figured that'd throw people for a loop. Elfen Lied is over the top in a bad way, i.e. overcompensating melodrama jarringly juxtaposed with humor and cliches that belonged in a cheesy rom-com. Gurren Lagann is over the top in a fucking awesome way, i.e. strange transformations, humor from characters that "aren’t in the loop", and a foundation practically made of self-referential parody--not to mention kickass action sequences that don't have me laughing at how stupidly morose the main characters are trying to be. Elfen Lied was a trash dump of negativity that just tried to reinforce itself with even LESS-believable negativity. Gurren Lagann so far is a sandbox made of awesome.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:56 am

Aah, I see :lol:

TTGL is just fucking awesome. It's so awesome it made me question what the fuck for eva was needed anyway

BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:30 pm

^Traitor! You have betrayed the greatest of all anime!!

TTGL certainly isn't as good as Eva; it may be awesome, but it isn't deep, and certainly not as brilliant.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:^Traitor! You have betrayed the greatest of all anime!!

TTGL certainly isn't as good as Eva; it may be awesome, but it isn't deep, and certainly not as brilliant.

you misunderstand me. Of course TTGL isn't as brilliant as Eva (though certainly more "awesome").

What I ment is that NGE was deconstruction of mecha genre. First two arcs (and whole fucken finale, after post-eva mecha animu phase is over) of TTGL could be called reconstruction of anime, catharsis that freed animu of all post-eva bullshit wangsting.

What I ment is "hell, if hot blood and unguarded GAR is this awesome we really didn't need Shinji and his angsting, did we"

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Gurren Lagann rocks. It doesn't need to be deep to be great.
But in the end it just comes from some person's perspective.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 pm

I usually like anime with depth better, like Eva. I do like ones that aren't deep a lot too, though, like Yu Yu Hakusho
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Yeah. Which is why I said it comes down to a person's perspective.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Trapeze is still just as nuts:

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 pm

@Ornette: wat. O_o

Xard wrote:TTGL is just fucking awesome. It's so awesome it made me question what the fuck for eva was needed anyway
Hahaha QFMFT! :lol:

Up to Episode 9 now, but the DVD's all fucked, so I'll be returning this defective piece of shit tomorrow for an exchange. I don't wanna just skip ahead either, this episode looked important. DAMN YOU DEFECTIVE PACKAGING. :fistshake:

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby MatrixRefugee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Juggling Blood+ and Yami no Matsuei right now (with occasional forays into "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya" and some Saturday morning Sailor Moon -- animation and Saturday mornings are my OTP. :: Laughs:: ). Rewatched Spirited Away last night and I'm thinking of adding Hellsing Ultimate and/or Death Note to the mix... but NaNoWriMo is coming up and I'm going to have to cut down on the anime-watching in order to make more time for writing.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:21 pm

They dont make em like Sailor Moon anymore. ;_;
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 am

Ornette wrote:Trapeze is still just as nuts:

oh Japan! :leekspin:

Going to continue Macross Zero today (lol MF rewatch invaded mah animutiem) and guess I'll watch me some Frontier too ^_^

Merridian wrote:@Ornette: wat. O_o

Xard wrote:TTGL is just fucking awesome. It's so awesome it made me question what the fuck for eva was needed anyway
Hahaha QFMFT! :lol:

Up to Episode 9 now, but the DVD's all fucked, so I'll be returning this defective piece of shit tomorrow for an exchange.

TRULY ONE OF THE GREATEST SCENES IN HISTORY OF THE MEDIUM ;_; :w00t:

SPOILER: Show
SO MUCH MANLY TEARS

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:52 pm

:lol: Video blows up from copyright explosives, thanks anyway though. I tracked another vid down on a different site, but because my connection is flaky I only got through half the ep & I'm too impatient to sit there WAITING for it load again. Internetz slooooow over here (they call it "high speed cable" but some days it still feels like dial-up).

Anyway, because the suspense was killing me anyway, I went on ahead and I'm up to Ep. 23 now--probably watch the rest tonight or tomorrow. :w00t: Being sick sucks, but watching Gurren Lagann whilst being sick evens the playing fields to terminal awesomeness.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Teague » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 pm

MatrixRefugee wrote:Blood+

I saw some episodes of blood+ on Sci-Fi a while back and was bored to tears. is it better in jap, or did I just come in at a bad time?
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby MatrixRefugee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Teague wrote:
MatrixRefugee wrote:Blood+

I saw some episodes of blood+ on Sci-Fi a while back and was bored to tears. is it better in jap, or did I just come in at a bad time?

If you start at the beginning, it's quite good and there's a lot more action and mystery in the earlier episodes. I think it's kind of in the same vein as Death Note, where it's hard to jump in at the middle, where the universe and its parameters have been defined and now the story has gotten more into the character development. I have to say, it's got one of the more unusual takes on vampires and vampirism.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Just finished GURREN LAGANN! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :) This show was both refreshing and awesome. Talk about pushing the limits of excess for dramatic effect! Oh man! It was shonen action taken to the highest possible extreme! This was so great! The end reached levels of intensity so absurd that it reminded me of Miike's wackier flicks. Man. Drills. That was so fucking awesome.

Also just got the Claymore box set I'd preordered a month & a half ago. I've read most of the manga (stopped sometime after the "seven years later" jump, but I can't remember exactly what vol I was on... I was borrowing them from a dude I've since lost contact with), and after my recent viewing & reading of Berserk, I've decided to give this anime a shot. The animation looked great, so even if everything else fails, I'll still have some smooth lines & gore to chew on.

At some point soon I'll be ordering Gunbuster. Gurren Lagann has put me into a serious giant robot awesome mood that I probably won't be shaking for a little while. :lol:

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm

I really need to see Gunbuster. I get paid tomorow so I might order it off of Amazon. Sadly I cant find the duo disc with Gunbuster and Diebuster. :dejected: I guess I should see about seeing :tongue: Gurren Laggan too.

EDIT: Ive had a case of ID theft not too long ago, with some one using my info in Vegas. So I dont exactly putting info on the net period, but I think I trust Amazon and the such more the Ebay. So if anyone has a good idea where I can get the Gunbuster Diebuster Combo set, please let me know. ^_^
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Watched Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence over the weekend. I ADORE that movie for some reason...might because of all the unneccesary quotes...hmmm...

Also started on Boogiepop Phantom this evening. It has a Lain sort of feel to it. I like it so far. :thumbsup:

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 pm

I just downloaded tokko this morning so im on that shortly
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:56 pm

schismatics wrote: Watched Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence over the weekend. I ADORE that movie for some reason...might because of all the unneccesary quotes...hmmm...
I loved the first half of that film, even WITH the fact that it acted as Oshii’s personal quote book. The second half fell apart, though—the visuals jarred too much against the atmosphere (which is strange, considering how well Oshii typically sculpts atmosphere & mood). I do admit that I loved the mansion sequence, even if it WAS over-the-top with somewhat shallow philosophical exposition that had no real point.
schismatics wrote:Also started on Boogiepop Phantom this evening. It has a Lain sort of feel to it. I like it so far.
This show was cool, but I thought it fell apart as well. It fleshed out a lot of the world and characters, but after finishing the show I couldn’t help but wonder what the point of the story—or even what the story ITSELF was. I gave it an 8/10 because it was great otherwise.
DatDude wrote:tokko
Amazon keeps recommending this to me. I wouldn't mind knowing what you think of it once you're finished.

Return to “Old Stickies”