GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:My only compliant which was minor is I felt Noriko's love interest was rushed/mostly a plot device (I didn't feel emotionally invested in that aspect), but otherwise I have no criticisms of the show.

When you think about it, Smith is handled in a similar way to Kaworu. Both of them have only a little time on the screen and they end up being important "plot devices" for the main character. For me, that episode is one of the highest emotional peaks of the show.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:58 pm

I tried to find a copy of Gunbuster vs. Diebuster at my mall and BestBuy today, but neither one had either. I guess I'll just have to order off Amazon. :sigh:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:02 am

Watched it again recently also, very awesome.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:My only compliant which was minor is I felt Noriko's love interest was rushed/mostly a plot device (I didn't feel emotionally invested in that aspect)

Same here. It seems to me in retrospect that Noriko should be more broken up over getting her someone killed by inaction than the death of her love interest. Smith should have been introduced in episode one if they wanted it the audience to feel it, I think.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 am

IM gonna have to wait till next week or so before I can see it, I'm running short on cash, well not going broke or nothin, but need to stave off till thursday when I get paid, so I can eat and pay bills. That stuff comes before Anime :shrug:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:38 am

GGSS: Just wanna mention when you do watch Gunbuster and Diebuster, be sure to watch the actual episodes, the OVAs. The movie doesn't add anything to either series from what I understand.

Oz wrote:When you think about it, Smith is handled in a similar way to Kaworu. Both of them have only a little time on the screen and they end up being important "plot devices" for the main character. For me, that episode is one of the highest emotional peaks of the show.

Something about Kaworu's appearance had emotion to it though. With Smith, I didn't notice that at all. I agree with Cat42 that Smith should have at least shown up in episode 1 for the audience to feel the impact of his death.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:00 am

Well, I guess then it's just me who had no problem with it. :shrug:
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:48 am

I've never had problems with how Smith was dealt with. Remembering that Gunbuster started as "Ace no nerae with robots" and just way to generate CASH for GAINAX (they needed to pay what they owed after Honneamise bombed, after all), well, it would've been a lot more strictly scripted.

You can see how whole show changes with ep 3 (well, this development had already started in ep 2) when Anno decides to do what he was doing seriously.

There's nothing illogical in-story etc. regarding Smith, Noriko's reactions etc.

That audience does not become attached to character (lol I always guy being rather assholish - I blame the 80s rock star hair :lol: ) doesn't matter since he was so much a plot device

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:33 pm

:dejected: I found a copy of Gunbuster vs. Diebuster combo pack dvd at Bestbuy.com but its vlu-ray and I dont have a blue ray player. And I guess my pc doesnt play bluray or my 360. :sigh:

EDIT: The twopart one with Gunbuster Diebuster is this [img]http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9117/9117813.jpg [/img]What Im unsure of is someone here told me to avoid the movie becuase its not as good as the OVA, i was wondering if this was what they were talking about. If it is I'll just go for the 3 disc Gunbuster box set, itll be here sooner anyways.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:16 pm

someone here told me to avoid the movie becuase its not as good as the OVA

Obviously, the movies a clip show, a condensed version of the oav that leaves stuff out, basically a less detailed version of the same thing. Just watch the oav.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Xard wrote:I've never had problems with how Smith was dealt with. Remembering that Gunbuster started as "Ace no nerae with robots" and just way to generate CASH for GAINAX

And yet it managed to creep me right the f*ck out. :scared:

Time Dilation  SPOILER: Show

Well, eh, surely it was only a cou- twe- twenty-five thousand?!?
SPOILER: Show
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Slim wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Overkill much? :smirk:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

B(

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Overkill much? :smirk:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Zeruel
Adam

Gunbuster?

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 am

I know what it is and who was involved with it, but was wondering as a anime and eva fan would I like it? Also if i decided to pick it up whats the best available format to get it in, in america?
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:17 am

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=103 - You should search or look the thread list before making a new thread - especially on a subject like this that should be quite popular here considering that this is a forum for Eva fans.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Gunbuster?

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:31 am

View Original PostZeruel wrote:I know what it is and who was involved with it, but was wondering as a anime and eva fan would I like it? Also if i decided to pick it up whats the best available format to get it in, in america?

It depends on why you like Eva. It's not as psychologically deep, but it is enjoyable. As an anime fan, I thought it was funny, and it made me cry in most of the places it was supposed to. As an Anno and GAINAX fan, I liked seeing where they came from, where they experimented, what worked and showed up in later works, and what didn't work.

I think you might like it. I'd definitely give it a try if you can rent or borrow it.

Gunbuster has been released in the US 3 times, 2 of which were on VHS. The DVD set (it was never released on Blu-ray here) is going on Amazon for around $35. The Blu-ray Gunbuster thing available is a digest movie that cuts half of the story out. I'd avoid it.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:24 am

I just had the pleasure of watching Gunbuster and yes, it's a beautiful anime. I highly enjoyed it and was moved close to tears at many points. Some people take issue with its constant genre shifting but this was one of my favorite aspects of the show and I loved how well developed its own universe was. Like, for example, the characters have their own ghost stories to tell when they are reaching the scariest regions of space. It just seems so real and natural, something that teens would actually do in that world. I loved the characters. I loved everything. The only thing I take issue with is the nudity which I perceived sometimes to be gratuitous. It was just distracting from the rest of the series. But overall, great show. Anno's style wasn't born quite yet here, but he did a good job.

I'm curious but ambivalent about watching Diebuster, though.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:The only thing I take issue with is the nudity which I perceived sometimes to be gratuitous. It was just distracting from the rest of the series.

Man I hate the fanservice in Gunbuster too. It would be a great gateway anime otherwise, or at least a good title to show people that are unfamiliar with anime I suppose. But it seems like the tits in that show have a mind of their own. (I hear that the VHS version was even worse..Supposedly answering the important question of what Noriko does with her carpets..)

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:I'm curious but ambivalent about watching Diebuster, though.
It's definitely good, although I thought it was weak compared to GB. At some points the writing felt pants on head stupid.

It's only 6 episodes, though. Definitely worth it. Also the animation is really really good.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:46 am

So there was nothing else wrong with the first two episodes which Anno did not write? I thought they were awful even though I loved the rest of the OVA. And GunBuster's fanservice is what GAINAX is still best known for. The origin of GAINAXing.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:The only thing I take issue with is the nudity which I perceived sometimes to be gratuitous. It was just distracting from the rest of the series.

I take you're not familiar with Gunbuster's context aka motherfucking OVA boom of 80s...? :lol:

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:But overall, great show. Anno's style wasn't born quite yet here, but he did a good job.

Anno had his trademark style down pat even prior to Gunbuster. From colour choices to editing to storytelling methods it's pure Anno, especially the latter eps.

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:I'm curious but ambivalent about watching Diebuster, though.

Just remember Diebuster has more in common with FLCL than with original and it'll work out. It's not even nearly as good as Gunbuster but pretty fantastic nonetheless, best GAINAX anime between FLCL and TTGL for sure.

View Original PostOz wrote:So there was nothing else wrong with the first two episodes which Anno did not write? I thought they were awful even though I loved the rest of the OVA. And GunBuster's fanservice is what GAINAX is still best known for. The origin of GAINAXing.

Where did you get the idea Anno didn't participate in writing first two episodes? First episode is huge Ace wo Nerae parody - which happens to be one of Anno's favourite shows.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”