1.0 ineligible for the Oscars

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

1.0 ineligible for the Oscars

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 pm

I don't know if anybody here actually cares, but I thought if anybody wanted to know, here it is.[url]www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-15/evangelion-1.0-ineligible-for-oscar-awards[/url] Just in case people did care, cyharding then jumped into the nearest ditch for safety.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:16 pm

;: Growls, throws virtual bricks in the general direction of the mooks who run the Oscars::
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Up! has my vote then. Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

cojax8
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby cojax8 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Huh, well, here’s to hoping that 2.0 will get nominated next time (as long as its not another 2 years before we get it of course)
A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes, but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud
We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so forlornly unhappy as when we have lost our love object or its love. -Sigmund Freud
If someone offered you a pill that would make you permanently happy, you would be well advised to run fast and run far. Emotion is a compass that tells us what to do, and a compass that is perpetually stuck on NORTH is worthless. - Daniel Gilbert

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 pm

1. Oscars suck in general.

2. Blame it on Funimation. Apparently they had the whole film dubbed back in late 2008. Had they played the movie in one NYC/LA theater for a week then it would've been eligible.

3. Come on, let's be real. As a diehard Eva fan even I accept this truth but Evangelion 1.0 is nowhere near good enough to even be a Best Animation Film contender.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:14 am

Yea, like a stupid anime cartoon about giant robots and blue haired bitches would get an Oscar anyway.

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 am

I wont even comment.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:38 am

MatrixRefugee wrote:;: Growls, throws virtual bricks in the general direction of the mooks who run the Oscars::

*Follows suite*

Personally I think 1.0 could be nominated at least. If other anime can, why not Eva?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:39 am

Because of scheduling issues that may or may not be FUNimation's fault, not because the Oscars said "Lol, no way are we going to even CONSIDER this."

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:44 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:3. Come on, let's be real. As a diehard Eva fan even I accept this truth but Evangelion 1.0 is nowhere near good enough to even be a Best Animation Film contender.

Agreed, Up! was my first choice to start with, 1.0 is just too much of the same thing, the animation admittedly is spectacular, but that not a movie makes. :bored:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 am

I think Hideaki Anno is an idiot, didn't he want recognition? Not in the famous sense, but o wow he made a master piece sense.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:58 am

etjusticepourtous wrote:I think Hideaki Anno is an idiot, didn't he want recognition? Not in the famous sense, but o wow he made a master piece sense.

How the hell is this his fault? He didn't control when his film premiered here, that would be FUNi. :um-no:

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:43 am

This year's best animated flick? Even if Eva 1.0 became a contender i would highly doubt that it would ever get a nod unless someone doped all the critics and judges when submitting their votes.

For this particular year i would like to vouch for either Coraline or Ponyo. As much as I love what Pixar has done for us in the past this year's UP I feel wasnt really what it could have been. It had its moments...some really touching moments. But the dogs and the damn huge plot hole of how explorer Charles Muntz was able to nearly outlive our protagonist despite being 40 years his senior is just....ridiculous.

It certainly wasnt a WALLE or Ratatouille. Thats for sure. :smirk:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:52 am

Well, 1.0 did win other 'Best Animated Movie' awards (along with 'Best Director', if I remember correctly), so it wouldn't be surprising that, if eligible, it would win a category or two. Don't ask me for sauce; dig if you must.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:11 am

You're dumb if you think Evangelion even had a chance to be nominated even if it was eligible. Oscar animation is heavily dominated by American 3D animation, Pixar, Miyazaki, and Dreamworks.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:31 am

Are you people actually surprised?
I think Hideaki Anno is an idiot, didn't he want recognition? Not in the famous sense, but o wow he made a master piece sense.

:|
Personally I think 1.0 could be nominated at least. If other anime can, why not Eva?

It didn't even get a nation wide release like most films in the U.S.
Only a few theaters here and there.
======
This isn't a big deal. Didn't 1.0 and 2.0 win a few awards over in Japan?
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am

I would love to see Rebuild 1.0 win an Oscar. Then both Matt Greenfield and Hideaki Anno could go up to collect the award, neither knowing who the other one is, suddenly a fight breaks out over who deserves the award more and Tiffany Grant hits Anno with a chair.

My two cents.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:09 am

That put an amusing image in my head. Image
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 am

Only a few theaters here and there. 1.0 isn't even a standalone film also.

That argument doesn't work. See Lord of the Rings winning awards.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am

Taekmkm wrote:You're dumb if you think Evangelion even had a chance to be nominated even if it was eligible. Oscar animation is heavily dominated by American 3D animation, Pixar, Miyazaki, and Dreamworks.

and Miyazaki only made it there thanks to Lasseter & co

Meh, oscars tend to be worthless.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”