What's next after rebuild?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:10 pm

tamashii wrote:Is it just me or is the idea of a Evangelion live action movie just horrible?

Hideaki Anno has given his seal of approval for it, and that's really all I need to know, as is the fact it's getting one of the best film production staff the western world has to offer to work on it, WETA Workshop, and it's own Peter Jackson and Richard Taylor.

It has the promise to be done right, and I concentrate far more on that rather than being pessimistic. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing they have to do to get it to work is do what all the other anime-conversion projects didn't, to not treat it as a gimmick. :smokin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

LIwarriorTKD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LIwarriorTKD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:57 pm

As far as I'm concerned the only person who COULD direct a live action eva film is Anno. His work in Love&Pop and Shiki-Jitsu have shown that he is very capable of translating his visual and editing style from animation successfully onto film. One of the biggest reasons the series is as awesome as it is because it shows off Anno's directorial style, which just happens to be excellent. The story is great, the characters are great, but what keeps it all together is Anno, and without him it just wouldn't be Eva.

The only way it could work without him directing is if he had a serious role in the production in some shape or form, even if only as a consultant to the material.
ONE LOVE Productions

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:02 pm

No, Hideaki Anno's best work has never been in live action, and he himself seems to realize that. However, there is talk of him coming onboard as an advisor, and with him and Richard Taylor hitting it off as well as they did, it seems they might come to understand one another should it occur. :smokin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm really cool with the whole live-action film. It's just that it should live up to the anime's and manga's reputation. It's a 14 years old anime, a worldwide hit to all anime fans, the live action should keep up with that.

cambaprecoz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cambaprecoz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 pm

trueno_twentyone wrote:I'm really cool with the whole live-action film. It's just that it should live up to the anime's and manga's reputation. It's a 14 years old anime, a worldwide hit to all anime fans, the live action should keep up with that.

Let it be directed by Neil Blomkamp.
Something tells me he would do a magnificent job.
This signature for rent.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:50 pm

cambaprecoz wrote:Neil Blomkamp.

Who the heck is he?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:00 pm

trueno_twentyone wrote:
cambaprecoz wrote:Neil Blomkamp.

Who the heck is he?

District 9. It just came out.

I strongly think Pen-Ek Ratanaruang should be involved. Last Life In The Universe shows his skill.

BUT THIS OFF TOPICNESS HAS GONE TOO FAR.

Bring on Rebuild Of Gunbuster!

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Screw Rebuild of Gunbuster!
I'm going for Rebuild of Doreamon!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I still stand for NOTHING NEXT.

But I just want to clear one thing up- Regarding live action Eva, WETA & Richard Taylor have expressed passion for making the movie, Peter Jackson has shown nothing but DISINTEREST. If a Live Action Eva was to be made I can promise Peter Jackson would in no way be personally involved with the production of the storyline, characters, or tone of the films. At the moment the only certain thing that would come out of an Eva Live Action is it would have nice special effects....which would be mostly digital ANIMATION anyways.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:34 pm

Your stand to this matter deeply cuts through my heart Gendo's Papa. Your a man of your word. I salute you for that. Ever since this tread started, you liked it that way.

But still, since I want to follow your principle,
Rebuild of Doreamon!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 pm

i have no idea why this thing double posted. + why i can't delete the second one. my bad.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cambaprecoz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cambaprecoz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I still stand for NOTHING NEXT.

But I just want to clear one thing up- Regarding live action Eva, WETA & Richard Taylor have expressed passion for making the movie, Peter Jackson has shown nothing but DISINTEREST. If a Live Action Eva was to be made I can promise Peter Jackson would in no way be personally involved with the production of the storyline, characters, or tone of the films. At the moment the only certain thing that would come out of an Eva Live Action is it would have nice special effects....which would be mostly digital ANIMATION anyways.

Damn it now I want to see near-realistic CGI Evangelion battles
This signature for rent.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 am

@camba: That is what I fear the most...the eva battles may be crappy.

Hiten777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hiten777 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:19 pm

Maybe focus on animating some of the manga adaptations, but it'd more profitable to have alternate endings that in the mangas. For instance, having Shinji end up with Rei instead of Asuka in an anime adaptation of Angelic Days. Just an example, but since these manga are based on game adaptations wouldn't it make more sense to appeal to different fanbases at the same time. I mean, Please Twins had different endings the manga had the main character end up with 1 sister while the anime had him end up with the other. See problem solved and more variety, no one really gets excited about seeing to same cenario with characters ending up with the same people in every adaptation, I mean if I was able to predict who was going to end up with who then I'd be more likely to get bored with the plot altogether, only interested in the tiny changes they make to the story.
Finally, WHEN r they gonna try an translate Eva games and make them playable in America. Other people want to play them too!!

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:09 pm

They should do a 20th anniversary boxset! I'd buy it!

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Perfect Set
includes
-26 episode series remastered for HD (Platinum/Renewal)
-Death(true)^2 (Renewal)
-End of Evangelion (Renewal)
-Rebuild of Evangelion (all perfected versions)
-Legend of Evangelion (an extensive documentary of the series' origins and it's fandom)
-Every episode of Petit EVA
-the first volumes of the EVA mangas
-special poster from Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (signed by Hideaki Anno)

DVD $79.99 Blu-Ray $129.99
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:18 pm

^ Oh that massive set would cost more than $80 on DVD or $130 on Blu-Ray. That's around the price for just the ADV NGE Platinum set.

Regrettably, as much of a collector I am and as great as that sounds it's almost an impossibility. The rights to Evangelion are so scattered with three or more separate entities owning different areas of the franchise that the idea of a collaborative release is a massive business plan.

Though with ADV bankrupt they'll be up for anything. Like still talking about the Live Action Eva they're going to finance with their broken, non-profit making corporation.

jayngfet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jayngfet » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Im hoping for another AU. This time around evas 03 and 04 see combat and more evangelions are created, along with the extracanoical EVA's.

It'd both be awesome to see every EVA in one place and Gainax could sell an asston of figures. Makes sense to me.
I mustn't run away, who the hell do you think I am?!?

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm

jayngfet wrote:Im hoping for another AU. This time around evas 03 and 04 see combat and more evangelions are created, along with the extracanoical EVA's.

:rei_meh:

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Shogo-Kun wrote:They should do a 20th anniversary boxset! I'd buy it!

Gainax in Japan releasing a hypothetical set like that would be AT LEAST around $100-200 in American dollars, even moreso with shipping charges from Japan. I cringe to think how much an (highly unlikely) stateside release would cost.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:00 am

The Future: Manga buys the rights to the series and redubs it so it sounds like their EoE release.

OH THE HORROR
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”