What do you want to see in Q and Final?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

What do you want to see in Q and Final? (Spoilers, possibly)

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Do you want things to end like they did in EoE, or do you want to see a happy ending? Or do you simply want an ending that makes sense?

Do you want another action-packed movie like 2.0, or a psychological (read:low budget) thriller?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:57 pm

I thought there was a thread like this already, anyway I like your display picture so I'll answer. I definantly would not like the ending to be like EoE. Definantly want an amazing action packed scene or two, hoping for the harpies to get pwn'd. I think that it would be better for there to be a good ending where everyone can be happy but in a tragic sort of way, like maybe Shinji sacrificing himself after finding out what a wonder life is (however he does that...) and the movie would need to take a bit more blood, meaning lives. I would see Mari going down in the monster fight in some sort of an epic way that she still wins. Go Mari!
On the path to Universal Understanding.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Misery, hatred, insecurity, loneliness, suicidal depression, angst, world-ending selfishness, and an ending with a bitter:sweet ratio leaning towards 'bitter'.

And I would like for every scene to be as visually beautiful as the scene where Shinji, Toji and Kensuke get those ice lollies. The scenes in which lighting is dominated by a single colour are universally gorgeous.

That would suit me just fine ^_^

... an ending that makes sense

Aside from the odd detail about one or two of the more confusing sci-fi-technicalities, what in EoE made no sense to you?

... psychological (READ: low budget)

:facepalm:

Yeah, because that End of Evangelion film had such a low budget :rolleyes:

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:12 pm

I hope LiLi doesn't mind my stealing her comment for this
LiLi wrote:On the other hand, in Rebuild it seems to me they are going more for a Twincest-type angle... with Rei being more openly childlike, Shinji mothering her and omitting the comments about Rei being like a mother (aside from the comparison with the smell of his Mom, but that's not quite the same thing...), the traincar Ikari Rei - Ayanami Shinji sequence, Rei and Shinji being absorbed into Eva 01 at the same time with a potential for a simultaneous twin Re-birth... (I guess we'll have to wait and see how that actually plays out though...) And oh, I do rather like this angle! :toothy:

:EDIT: Now I wonder if the two cores of Eva 01 will somehow represent the two placentas or amniotic sacs holding each of the twins...
Ah, well I’d like it if they used the Ikari twins (they’re now soup in the same womb) absorption to further look at the element of dualism that Anno’s been touching on in the last films, but Shin-chan needs to be ripped away from his sheltering relation and be left completely exposed They probably won't and shouldn't get rid of Ayanami but she probably won't be around to help Shin(Kaworu hurtling the spear at one of the twin cores could be an ironic way of doing that, I’m sure that would totally change the nature of their relation).

And Asuka’s infatuation/tsundereness needs to be something far more twisted after her friends crushed her (as she would see it) right as she was beginning to open to them(I'm sure she'd see it as betrayal.)
Her strangling a desperate Puppy who might have run to her for comfort upon learning that she’s alive would be something to see, especially if the tainted element (and high budget) lets Asuka do something weird with her eye and the glowing fungal veins.
[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=eva019.jpg]Image[/URL]Image

I wouldn’t want Anno to give us a simple action/romance film, and by the context he’s been building up it doesn’t look like he will at all.

Although that doesn't mean that they can't have Shinji quickened naked onto Kaworu's arms, and shriek out about it (if he's recovered), and have him very much be attracted to Tabby-kun, which would make things very interesting if the Spear traped Rei and Shinji finds out about it afterwards. :shinji_boohoo:
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Asuka being turned into angel from being contaminated by Bardiel which leads to either Shinji and Kaworu fighting her which may lead to her death. I'd also like to not see Rebuild's incarnation of Rei II to die the way her NGE counterpart did. Also a new form of instrumentality.

Oh and NO ShinjiXAsuka ending. Oh God it will be like sweet nectar to see all the sad, disappointed, and angry A/S shippers.

Oh your tears are so yummy.
-Eric Cartman

I'm sorry it's a guilty pleasure.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:A dead Asuka and an awesome fight scene...
Wouldn't that be redundant though? Metaphorically speaking she's already died...It'd be a waste if we killed her rather than use what's happened for development and exposition.
Rebuild Rei doesn't die like her NGE counterpart.
Uh and technically speaking Rei and Shinji are both dead, at least in a biological sense, so it's more of a question about their recovery...They might troll all of us by keeping them dissolved in Mama throughout Q :shinji_boohoo:
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Synapsid wrote:
Joseph the PRPD wrote:A dead Asuka and an awesome fight scene...
Wouldn't that be redundant though? Metaphorically speaking she's already died...It'd be a waste if we killed her rather than use what's happened for development and exposition.:

I worded my self wrong. :sweatdrop: I should have been more specific.

Edited original post.

technically speaking Rei and Shinji are both dead, at least in a biological sense, so it's more of a question about their recovery...

We are not to sure at this point if they really are dead. They could have regained there form or... *is thinking to hard* I think it's best to wait till we see 3.0 to see if they do need recovering or not.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Here's what I want to see in 3.0/4.0. Whether or not any of this happens, who knows. I'm sure there's more but here's what I can think of right now.

~Ritsuko explaining the Green/Red eye shit at the start of 3.0.

~Psychological and mindfuck scenes aplenty, such as MOAR HELLTRAIN.

~In the same vein, Yui showing Shinji and Rei (3) their relation and or at least some of the truth about things involving Nerv.

~Kaworu interacting with Misato, Kaji, as well as Asuka. Mari too of course.

~Mari's deal being explained, at least partly.

~Confirmation or denial of Kaworu's donor (eg, Misato's father? :3 ).

~Rei acknowledging her Yui...cloneness, not just being Lilith.

~Some sort of Kaworu and Rei confrontation, not necessarily duel of the seeds OR romantic, but something other then what we see in 24' would be nice.

~Shinji able to participate in whatever the epic final battle would be... Only to still fail because it's Shinji and THIS IS EVA!! :P

~Instrumentality and 3I being a hybrid of EoTV and EoE by showing BOTH the internal and external world of the characters provided 4.0 has original material of the actual event(s).

~If Yui has a "lonely journey" once more, clarification on whether or not she's actually a seed would be nice.

~At the end or near the end, Shinji actually be shown with trying to step forward/keep living instead of just realizing he can ala EoTV's ending or being fucknuts in EoE's ending.

~Shinji and Asuka actually becoming a couple. If a kiss never happens between them, that's fine, but just something of a happy ending in that regard would be nice.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I want advancement.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of viciously twisted Eva with broken characters, but I just hope that this time around they actually do something about themselves and get one step ahead. If not, then all this is futile.

Why would I want a rebuild just for the sake of reminding me about the "eternal recurrence"? Oh right! we have new toys this time kids.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:10 am

I know what I'd want.I'd want an ending that isnt like EOE's.That movie was allright but the ending was just meh.Didnt really like it.Oh,and what SSD said about Ritsuko explaing that whole"making the Eva go berserk thing without being knocked out "would be nice too.Of course,that may not happen seeing as she didnt know what was going on in 2.0 when this happened.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:29 am

CATO wrote:I want advancement.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of viciously twisted Eva with broken characters, but I just hope that this time around they actually do something about themselves and get one step ahead. If not, then all this is futile.

Why would I want a rebuild just for the sake of reminding me about the "eternal recurrence"? Oh right! we have new toys this time kids.

This is more or less my feeling on the subject. Of course a large part of it is the inherent optimism from the more lighthearted action arc that spans a lot of 2.0, but I would really enjoy seeing a moderately less bleak ending. Of course it's not Eva unless some shit seriously hits the fan (as it already has begun to in 2.0, of course), but I'd like it if these new incarnations of the characters evolved at least a little bit beyond the mistakes of their predecessors and fared somewhat better because of it. Though there would still have been Gendo's and SEELE's plans to be dealt with, NGE's outcome likely would have been quite a bit different had the characters opened up to each other more instead of leaving themselves and others to stew in misery and self-pity. Not that I'm expecting them to all start hugging each other, even though most of them will probably need it by the time all is said and done. :P

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:10 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Oh and NO ShinjiXAsuka ending. Oh God it will be like sweet nectar to see all the sad, disappointed, and angry A/S shippers
This
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 am

I Demand Shinji versus Kaworu Eva Deathmatch
but at the last second Kaworu combines with his eva and becomes a "REAL" angel
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:47 am

Hmm.....

1. Mindscrew sequences. No, not just another helltrain scene, but disjointed images following each other in a rapid succession with psychological or even psychosexual undertones. Rei and Shinji being stuck together in Eva-01 has potential for this, not to mention Asuka remembering her possible Bardiel mindrape.

2. Yui narrating a bit about Nerv's past and giving her take on Gendo to Shinji. Would be nice.

3. Kaworu being reininvented as a duplicitous, unknowable, morally ambiguous antagonist. Someone who is both a charming presence yet a clear threat. Someone who seems humane on the surface, but in reality, is completely removed from anything us humans would call "morals". A true alien mind. Aslo, don't overexpose him.

4. Kaworu destroying the physical form of Rei (her soul would stick around intact, of course, aiding Shinji when he needs it). And after that, the reveal about her true nature could come. Shinji gets soul-crushed.

5. In the very end, i would like to see Shinji triumphing over the pain of life purely by his own will. No Eva, no mama related ego massage, just him putting his foot down.

6. Mari and Kaji doing espionagy (is that a word?) stuff. Also, some explanation about the Third Angel and Mari herself.

7. Regarding Asuka and all this angelic corruption thing: i woud go for a split personality. A bit crancky and aloof, but still seemingly well adjusted on the surface, while the recesses of her mind incubate a horrible, abominable monster that wishes to see the world burn. But it would be something that taps into the darkest side of human nature, with the Bardiel thing only serving as a catalyst to bring it out. I would like to see her overcome this in her own mind. Whether or not she has to die in the real world is another issue.

8. All this "true Evangelion" stuff being expanded upon.

9. Eva-08 being used, amongst other things, to show us how Evas are created.

10. Eva-06 being shown from as many angles as possible. :drool: But also, as an act of otaku disservice/trolling: have Eva-06 not participate in any battles at all.

11. NO MORE TALKING ABOUT BENTOS, DINNERS AND FOOD. AT. ALL.

Specific scenes:
-In one of the drafts for the original series, there was a scene where Kaworu talked to Gendo about how Nerv is a mausoleum for his dead wife. I'm dying to see that one.
-Confrontation between Misato and Kaji. Not necessarily a shoot-out, but something.

Audio:

Would like to hear: 4th movement of Beethoven's Ninth.

Don't want to hear: any more of the Kare Kano soundtrack.

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Oh and NO ShinjiXAsuka ending. Oh God it will be like sweet nectar to see all the sad, disappointed, and angry A/S shippers.

A full blown, WAFF-y A/S would be the most debilitating asspull in the history of anything, ever. So you don't have to worry about that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 am

SaltyJoe wrote:A full blown, WAFF-y A/S would be the most debilitating asspull in the history of anything, ever. So you don't have to worry about that.
I don't know about PRPD, but I don't even want something that can be looked at through WAFF-coloured glasses the way that happens to One More Final.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 am

In spite of what I said earlier about the bitter:sweet ratio, I don't really have any problem with the idea of a warmer, slightly less bleak ending, provided that it is handled gently and with care. Certainly, I think I would get something out of seeing poor Gendo's Yui-reunion wish come true ^_^

Buuuut, and this is a big BUT: I would really, really prefer for there not to be any romantic relationships between the 14-year-olds at the end. Especially if such a relationship is presented as being a happy ending.

These children are fourteen years old. In reality, such a relationship would last about a couple of weeks and they'd be back at square one again. Of course, it's easy to make a teen romance look like a happy ending in a film, but it's going to feel artificial and empty.

What I would prefer would be for Shinji to just begin to establish a closer friendship with Rei/Asuka/whoever's alive. When you're 14, a close friendship can be a secure basis for future happiness, whereas a teen romance is only ever going to be a fleeting thing which leaves you back at the start afterwards.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

1. Mindscrew sequences. No, not just another helltrain scene, but disjointed images following each other in a rapid succession with psychological or even psychosexual undertones. Rei and Shinji being stuck together in Eva-01 has potential for this, not to mention Asuka remembering her possible Bardiel mindrape.

YES. DEAR GOD YES :thumbsup:

2. Yui narrating a bit about Nerv's past and giving her take on Gendo to Shinji. Would be nice.

YES YES YES.

I think I've read this speculation about the Gendo/Yui/past stuff possibly being tied in with the Shinji/Rei/Unit-01 stuff before, and it actually makes quite a bit of sense.

The only downside, as I see it, would be that my main man Fuyutsuki might lose out and not have his professor/unrequited-love backstory, which is a shame. I would like it if that was still in there, as well as little moments of Hyuga's and Maya's unrequited feelings, but I'm not holding my breath.

But yes- Gendo and Yui stuff would be wonderful. And the possibility of Yui talking about Gendo is very interesting.

One thing that really caught my interest in 2.0 was the 'take care of Shinji, darling' part. Are we to assume that this was an actual memory of something she really said? Did Gendo know Yui's plan to get herself absorbed? Did she just say this in the moments before she 'died', when Gendo realised that there was nothing he could do to stop it? I suppose it's also possible that this could just be Gendo imagining 'what Yui would have wanted', but it's fun to speculate.

3. Kaworu being reininvented as a duplicitous, unknowable, morally ambiguous antagonist. Someone who is both a charming presence yet a clear threat. Someone who seems humane on the surface, but in reality, is completely removed from anything us humans would call "morals". A true alien mind. Aslo, don't overexpose him.

I've been thinking about Kaworu quite a bit. I'm beginning to feel as though this Asuka-becomes-an-Angel stuff might end up happening... and if it does, would she take Kaworu's place? In that case, what will Kaworu's role be? Hmm...

And, of course, his talk about 'making Shinji happy' seems to make it sound as though he's not purely interested in reclaiming the world for the Angels this time around...

6. Mari and Kaji doing espionagy (is that a word?) stuff.

Definitely. God, Kaji's cool. I might be a straight man, but that shot of him in the Q preview made me wet.

-In one of the drafts for the original series, there was a scene where Kaworu talked to Gendo about how Nerv is a mausoleum for his dead wife. I'm dying to see that one.

GOOD GOD YES.

Well, we can be fairly certain that there will be something about Yui and Gendo in there... I'm excited.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:54 am

They better deliver and have good mindfuck sequences as well as an ending that is great. They could use hatemail in the imagery again just for kicks.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:58 am

Hmm...I'd like some clue on just what Yui's mental state is within the Eva. is she conscious? Is she aware of her actions? Is she aware of her self?

I'd like an explanation for the 'blood' spatter on the moon, preferably one that implicitly rejects or acknowledges the 'sequel' theory

I'd like Shinji to physically hit Gendo at least once...

I'd like acknowledgment of the FAR, and some clue to either their current status (alive, dead, Anti-spirals)or original purpose (why they send the seeds in the first place)

Completely naked Shogoki...we've seen bits and pieces, silhouettes, and production drawings but no 'full frontal' so to speak. It will clear up most questions about Eva physiology, as well as verify just what the deal is with her hair in the game endings

I'd like some establishment of what an AT Field CAN'T do...

Finally, enough ship-teasing and sinking of every potential couple to set the whole forum aflame
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:27 am

Personally, I'm hoping that Anno is kind to Gendo ^_^

I can't think about that character anymore without feeling truly, truly sad for him.

Yeah, the more Gendo the better.

I can't get quite get over how lovely that 'this place is a mausoleum ' scene SaltyJoe mentioned is. If that line, or a similar one is spoken, it will make my year.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:14 am

More:

~Chalk outline from 1.0 explained.

~Gendo & Misato showdown/confrontation, but better then Eva2. >=3

~What is the REASON of Yui's plans beside stopping Seele? Intent good/bad? (I'm sick of hearing "Yui is an evil bitch HURRR" )

~Shinji stepping forward without Eva, yes.

~Not just Shinji's feelings for Asuka/Rei/Misato (and Mari???) clarified since people STILL don't buy Asuka= sex (lover)/Misato= family/Rei= mother*, but their speific feelings for him made clear too! >_<

*From Death pamphlet.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”