What happens if you stick a soul in pure LCL?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

What happens if you stick a soul in pure LCL?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Does the body reform, or what?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:18 pm

There’s know way to really know for sure, but I wouldn’t think so. The soul would have to want to reform, I don’t think it would just automatically happen simply by you putting it in there. Individual will would most likely be the deciding factor.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:36 pm

For that matter, I wonder what would happen if there wasn't enough LCL to constitute a full adult body (assuming an adult soul)...would bits be 'missing'...maybe they'd come back younger...or just shorter...either way we may now have an in-universe method to chibify whoever we want :rei_hissyfit:
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 pm

You know those little sponges where when you put them in warm water, they're supposed to grow and turn into slightly larger sponges that vaguely resemble dinosaurs?

It's pretty much like that.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:26 am

Those sponges always fell to pieces on me...an ominous omen to be sure...
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Unashamed troper.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:27 am

Teague wrote:Those sponges always fell to pieces on me...an ominous omen to be sure...

Unless Rei doesn't get Dr. Akagi's special medicine she falls to pieces!!!
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:34 am

The physics would probably be similar to Shinji in ep20/EoE, also Asuka in EoE. Pretty much what child of Lilith said earlier then. If this was a soul that never had a form to begin with, then who knows. I guess it would depend on what type of soul it is as well then. Or maybe this was the FAR back in the day.

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Unless Rei doesn't get Dr. Akagi's special medicine she falls to pieces!!!

I thought this was essentially discredited a while ago.
Everything is subject to change.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 am

If the soul wants a body, it forms one out of the LCL. Otherwise it just swims around. If there's an insufficient amount of LCL, probably nothing happens, or it becomes a zygote and has to grow all over again.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 am

Maybe that's what happened to Adam...Lancea Longinus reduced her to LCL, she put herself back together but too much had dispersed across the Arctic so she came back as an Embryo </blatant>
Last edited by Teague on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unashamed troper.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:34 am

Teague wrote:Maybe that's what happened to Adam...Lancea Longinus reduced her to LCL, she put herself back together but too much had dispersed across the Arctic so she came back as an Embryo </blatant>

Crap, I'd actually never thought of it that way. I'm now sold on the soul grows into embryo idea.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Except LCL is only for Lilith's children. Adam is made of special particle-wave Angel ubermatter which is speshul. If Adam was LCL-based, his body wouldn't even reform due to a lack of a soul.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:01 am

There's no hard evidence in NGE for what would happen and I doubt any of the staff ever thought about it. Speculation is pointless.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:07 am

But fun.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Well if Shinji's osul was in the entry plug during his battle with Zeruel, then I suppose the soul can always decide when to return, but if not, then I'd say it'd be a lot like putting ice into a deep fryer. Wait, wait. Explode.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:26 pm

I'd say you get a slightly damp soul, nothing more.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:58 am

AuraTwilight wrote:Except LCL is only for Lilith's children. Adam is made of special particle-wave Angel ubermatter which is speshul. If Adam was LCL-based, his body wouldn't even reform due to a lack of a soul.

Well, I seem to recall Akagi mentioning Angel's share a good percentage of Human DNA, which would imply they were made up of much the same collection of chemicals, which is what I understand LCL to be, the chemicals that make up an organism, with all the chemical bonds broken, resulting in nutrient rich soup, which would thus imply if angels are made of much the same chemicals, they're made of much the same LCL-like substance...although this very well might be the product of dub-fail, poor memory and fankery

There is another thing, but it violates RB spoiler-ban, and can be dismissed with alternate continuity...

Your second point stands, although I will at least mention that soul division doesn't rule things out completely...[/spoiler]
Unashamed troper.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:49 pm

They share that percentage of our GENES, but DNA (which is technically different), isn't mentioned. Regardless, despite their similarities, Angels are made of a Particle-Wave Matter, which is separate from LCL and operates by different rules. They're basically made of hard light.

The Rebuild thing you're talking about is a total toss up, I admit, but it's a different universe.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm

while genes and DNA aren't the same thing, the former implies the latter, unless you're going for a different definition of "gene" than a region of the genomic sequence. genes imply DNA, and DNA means a five-carbon sugar, a nitrogenous base and phosphate groups.

the angels might be made of particle-wave matter all they want, but they've gotta have regular DNA in there somewhere, at least according to ritsuko.

that said, DNA != the body. it's more like DNA is the instruction manual on how to build a body. the funny thing here is that while for humans DNA is interpreted in terms of the chemicals that form the body, for angels similar DNA is interpreted into a completely different type of matter altogether. angel magicks at work? :toothy: so angel-LCL is probably not the same as human-LCL, despite the fact that the basis of both of us, our DNA, is pretty similar.

as far as the topic goes, i always thought the "will of the soul" thing in EoE, where humans can return to their material form if their soul wills it, only happened in EoE, because Shinji made that choice. this is just me speculating of course, but if it wasn't that way, if people could have returned even if Shinji had decided to spend the rest of eternity as mush, it kinda loses its appeal, at least to me.

but then, how did Shinji become solid again after zeruel? i guess unit 01, now having a core, had a similar ability to lilith-rei in "letting" Shinji come back. :think: (yui would be more bossy than Rei when it comes to her son's life, though-- Rei let him choose, yui didn't really give him that courtesy). once again, angel magicks FTW. there's probably no way to come to a decent conclusion on this issue.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 pm

while genes and DNA aren't the same thing, the former implies the latter, unless you're going for a different definition of "gene" than a region of the genomic sequence. genes imply DNA, and DNA means a five-carbon sugar, a nitrogenous base and phosphate groups.

Genes are just information. You could write them in silicon for all it matters, but carbon is just the best thing for it. Regardless, the Angels are not made of DNA.

the angels might be made of particle-wave matter all they want, but they've gotta have regular DNA in there somewhere, at least according to ritsuko.

Not so. Angels no more have to have DNA than a robot made of synthetic flesh does.

that said, DNA != the body. it's more like DNA is the instruction manual on how to build a body. the funny thing here is that while for humans DNA is interpreted in terms of the chemicals that form the body, for angels similar DNA is interpreted into a completely different type of matter altogether. angel magicks at work? so angel-LCL is probably not the same as human-LCL, despite the fact that the basis of both of us, our DNA, is pretty similar.

There is no Angel LCL (except MAYBE in Rebuild), because Angels don't collapse when they lose their AT Field.

as far as the topic goes, i always thought the "will of the soul" thing in EoE, where humans can return to their material form if their soul wills it, only happened in EoE, because Shinji made that choice. this is just me speculating of course, but if it wasn't that way, if people could have returned even if Shinji had decided to spend the rest of eternity as mush, it kinda loses its appeal, at least to me.

The human body exists because of the AT Field. If the rule only applied during EoE, then Shinji wouldn't of been able to come back from Unit 01 after the fight with Zeruel.

but then, how did Shinji become solid again after zeruel? i guess unit 01, now having a core, had a similar ability to lilith-rei in "letting" Shinji come back. (yui would be more bossy than Rei when it comes to her son's life, though-- Rei let him choose, yui didn't really give him that courtesy). once again, angel magicks FTW. there's probably no way to come to a decent conclusion on this issue.

Or, more likely, it was just how Lilith-derived lifeforms exist. Why bother establishing that humans are made of LCL, and need AT Fields to keep form, if the rule only applies during Third Impact?

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:31 pm

The *ordering* of information is much the same between Angels and Lillin. The *material* (the type of matter, or the media the info is recorded in) is different (PWM vs. LCL).

Souls do not spontaneously create bodies. Once they have incarnated through the usual reproductive process, they may *return* to that form after 3I, but that doesn't suggest any old soul hanging around can create a body out of LCL without having first come through the established procretaive process of life as it has evolved.

Lilith's Chamber of Guf is already empty, and all the souls that can be here have already been loosed onto the world. Each has had to wait to incarnate through the typical procreative mechanisms we know about, nowhere in the series is it even suggested that free-floating, pre-incarnate souls can manifest themselves directly from LCL.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”