Maya doesn't have to put up with this crap! Maya's a cyborg!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Umm don't you think it would have come up more?

Eva's not rally know for being cyberpunk, hell if not for keel I dont think we'd have evidence of cybernetics even existing in that world.

What would maya having artificial hands mean for the story other then just being neat?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Allemann
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
Age: 32
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:24 pm

NAveryW wrote:BILLY MAYS HERE WITH FULLY FUNCTIONAL PROSTHETIC HANDS!

Actually, I wasn't exactly joking, but I'm not presenting this as an actual "theory" either. The hand remaining when Maya pops is just something that's never made sense within the context of the movie, as in every other situation all organic parts pop when the AT Field disappears, and the hand being prosthetic actually explains that in a way that makes sense. I have no "concrete" evidence, but it's not "baseless speculation" either because the premise established in Eva is that, when one's AT Field vanishes, one's body bursts into orange goo and leaves behind only that which is inorganic. Thus the only explanation which is consistent with the movie's internal logic is that Maya's hand is inorganic.

Again, am I stating with any certainty that the hand we see roll across the monitor was prosthetic? Oh my, no. I'm just saying that, if my hypothesis is true, it explains something that's never made sense before and has always just been attributed to breaking internal logic for the sake of a striking visual image.


Can you provide us with a screenshot or a gif?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20678
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Allemann wrote:Can you provide us with a screenshot or a gif?


http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-m26/episode-m26-scene08B.html#cut338

Also worth noting that there's a lot of it about

http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-m26/episode-m26-scene08B.html#cut318
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel
Posts: 341
Joined: Jul 21, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zaque » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:45 pm

NAveryW wrote:breaking internal logic for the sake of a striking visual image

Heh, I get the feeling that the series has done this multiple times, and Maya's hand isn't even the start of it.
Everything is subject to change.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 322
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Boston adjacent

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BC Baron » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Well, there is quite a bit of hand imagery throughout the series, so I guess this would qualify as another example.

Also, is there any rule stating that every part of a person's body must transform into LCL simultaneously? Perhaps her hand was a little bit slower than the rest?
Avatar: Captain Avatar

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 pm

BC Baron wrote:Well, there is quite a bit of hand imagery throughout the series, so I guess this would qualify as another example.

Also, is there any rule stating that every part of a person's body must transform into LCL simultaneously? Perhaps her hand was a little bit slower than the rest?


Theirs not a lot of definitive rules where the eva universe in concerned in general.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Posts: 576
Joined: Jun 07, 2009
Location: Pleasure town, Japan

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Combs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:28 am

Anno rabu hand shots, thats all.

NAveryW wrote:
DatDude wrote:No i don't think Mays was a cyborg.
BILLY MAYS HERE WITH FULLY FUNCTIONAL PROSTHETIC HANDS!

I thought the same thing when I read that.
AVATAR: If bones did Eva
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am

Combs wrote:Anno rabu hand shots, thats all.

NAveryW wrote:
DatDude wrote:No i don't think Mays was a cyborg.
BILLY MAYS HERE WITH FULLY FUNCTIONAL PROSTHETIC HANDS!

I thought the same thing when I read that.


:clap:
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

brainissues
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 34
Joined: Sep 14, 2009
Location: Argentina
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby brainissues » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:01 pm

i don't know if a cyborg , that's cyberpunk , a biological structure with genetic modifications , i am sure of one thing she is not human
nietzsche is dead he has been killed by god XD

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Posts: 389
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:18 pm

maybe it was symbolic of how badly she wanted to touch Ritsuko (not in the perverted way...this time...) so her hand was the last thing to tang. I just pulled that theory out of my head then but i think it's mostly lol Anno
I have no signature!

esselfortium
Angel
Angel
Posts: 3392
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby esselfortium » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:58 pm

She's a clone of Shinji.

brainissues
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 34
Joined: Sep 14, 2009
Location: Argentina
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby brainissues » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:04 pm

She's a clone of Shinji.



i've fucked up , mari , maya , i was wrong sorry
Last edited by brainissues on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nietzsche is dead he has been killed by god XD

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Posts: 389
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:11 pm

you should probably have that in spoilers...
I have no signature!

Apjak
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 28
Joined: Jun 30, 2009
Location: Kansas City

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Apjak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am

Maybe if we are trying to rationalize it outside of lolAnno, certain parts of certain people (i. e. Maya and random JSSDF dude) are not actually encompassed by their A. T. Field. As if their souls do not recognize the entire body as being myself. And if so, what happened to, or was done with those hands to have them be rejected by the ego so hard?

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3317
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Za Warudo

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:42 am

....That makes no metaphysical sense. If they didn't recognize their hands, or whatever, as part of themselves and that shifted the AT Field accordingly, those limbs and bodyparts would melt into LCL accordingly.

Apjak
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 28
Joined: Jun 30, 2009
Location: Kansas City

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Apjak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:51 pm

I disagree on the basis of Rei 3's arm falling off and not becoming LCL when her A. T. field was breaking down.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3317
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Za Warudo

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:52 pm

Rei's also implied not to be made of LCL to begin with, so she's not really a citable example for Lilin biology.

Allemann
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
Age: 32
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:11 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Rei's also implied not to be made of LCL to begin with, so she's not really a citable example for Lilin biology.


Her flesh is Lilith's flesh?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4952
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Apjak wrote: As if their souls do not recognize the entire body as being myself.

Body Integrity Identity Disorder?

That usually comes with quirks. In the Nip/Tuck version John Billingsley walked around in crutches and a sling trying to pretend his leg wasn't even there, the only reason I can think of Maya wishing to do the same is that she was "awe struck" by how quickly Ritsuko could type one-handed. O_o
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

cambaprecoz
Adam
Posts: 54
Joined: Jul 09, 2009

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cambaprecoz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:23 pm

*Sigh* We really need to kidnap Anno if we ever want answers for this things.
This signature for rent.


Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests