Maya doesn't have to put up with this crap! Maya's a cyborg!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Maya doesn't have to put up with this crap! Maya's a cyborg!

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:50 pm

I recently read this really negative review of EoE that says:
I have seen this movie several times, and still cannot enjoy the film one iota. I do not believe that it is because I didn't "get" the film; I believe that there is quite simply nothing to get. Certain Evangelion fanboys have gotten a huge kick out of analyzing the show and attempting to fabricate some sort of interpretation of the events that transpire, but in my opinion this is a futile endeavor. The shows plot was deliberately made incomprehensible for incomprehensibilitys sake; there is no meaning to the show other than to have no meaning whatsoever.
Of course the reviewer is wrong about EoE having no meaning, but it did bring to mind certain things that have long been assumed to just be "lol Anno" with no explanation other than fanwankery. In particular, Maya's hand not popping when the rest of her does.

Then I remembered Keel Lorenz leaving behind his cyborg parts when he popped and everyone else leaving behind clothes. It's made quite clear that, when one's AT Field disappears, their biological parts turn to LCL, but their inorganic parts remain.

Then I remembered Luke Skywalker getting a robot hand that looked exactly like his old one.

Maya's pretty good with her fingers, if you know what I mean. Someone in her position would do well to have an extra advantage when it comes to augmented hands.

So, what's your opinion? Does Maya have Skywalker hands or is Anno just lol?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Her hand splattered on the computer screen when she got tanged. There weren't any robo parts in it. As for the other hand I'm not sure.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Sammaeloo wrote:Her hand splattered on the computer screen when she got tanged. There weren't any robo parts in it. As for the other hand I'm not sure.
You don't see the inside of the hand. You can't tell whether there are robo parts or not, hence it didn't occur to me that it was possible until now.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 pm

I say lol Anno.

Love the thread title btw.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:24 am

Sammaeloo wrote:Her hand splattered on the computer screen when she got tanged. There weren't any robo parts in it. As for the other hand I'm not sure.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I say lol Anno.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Seriously though, I never really thought about connecting the two. I did wonder why her hand never popped at one point but I didn't think to much about it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:40 am

Maybe she lacked a (complete) hand for whatever reason (accident, birth anomaly) and got a prosthesic one.

A fully functional and aesthetically realistic one at that. Wow.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 am

Hehe, well--- actually, I'd always thought there was a "hand-exploding" sound at the moment her hand splatters across the monitor - just as it cuts to Seele's... lair. Then again, I'm most likely completely wrong (EDIT: I just check, and indeed, I am wrong- oh well!). Either way, I suppose it just sort of works. For me, at least.

I agree with this ^_^

(Regarding the review: I love it when the most deranged crazies you recognise from their one-star Amazon reviews make their own websites, as though this makes their ravings any less silly)

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:04 am

LiLi wrote:A fully functional and aesthetically realistic one at that. Wow.

You shouldn't be to surprised. This is the [fictional] world of 2015. Where people still use cassette players, build giant robots, and are able to have the Luke Skywalker treatment... and still listen to cassette players.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 am

It's lol Anno.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:18 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
LiLi wrote:A fully functional and aesthetically realistic one at that. Wow.

You shouldn't be to surprised. This is the [fictional] world of 2015. Where people still use cassette players, build giant robots, and are able to have the Luke Skywalker treatment... and still listen to cassette players.

It's true, in Eva's 2015 the scientists have become a dab hand at bio-mechanical implants (the eva's are proof of that).

But try telling that to Hop-along Toji and his wheelchair... No rocket powered super leg for him ;_;
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:24 am

I think it was just a way to get both what was on screen as well as showing maya tanging at the same time. In any case, I'm pretty certain that those hands are 100% LCL.
Everything is subject to change.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am

Zaque wrote:I think it was just a way to get both what was on screen as well as showing maya tanging at the same time. In any case, I'm pretty certain that those hands are 100% LCL.

Exactly. It's baseless speculation. The only character who's shown with any kind of prosthetic is Keel, and it can be concluded that what he has is secret technology only available to a small group, if not only him.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Exactly. It's baseless speculation. The only character who's shown with any kind of prosthetic is Keel, and it can be concluded that what he has is secret technology only available to a small group, if not only him.

QFT.

To be honest, I sort of thought the OP was joking around, but perhaps he wasn't. I'm not sure.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:09 pm

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:To be honest, I sort of thought the OP was joking around, but perhaps he wasn't. I'm not sure.

Sigh.... You new people don't know NAW yet.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:35 pm

No i don't think Maya's was a cyborg.

I amazed how new stuff like this comes up every so often.
Last edited by DatDude on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:You shouldn't be to surprised. This is the [fictional] world of 2015.

It's more like, I think it'd be l33t... :toothy:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Sigh.... You new people don't know NAW yet.

Ah, I'm sorry :(

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:Hehe, well--- actually, I'd always thought there was a "hand-exploding" sound at the moment her hand splatters across the monitor - just as it cuts to Seele's... lair. Then again, I'm most likely completely wrong (EDIT: I just check, and indeed, I am wrong- oh well!). Either way, I suppose it just sort of works. For me, at least.

I agree with this ^_^

(Regarding the review: I love it when the most deranged crazies you recognise from their one-star Amazon reviews make their own websites, as though this makes their ravings any less silly)

Mmm, I recognized that bit of crazy or at least style of crazy myself (having just been on Amazon and saw some really air-headed one star reviews for EoE). Wonder if it's a case of them leaving Amazon because people disagreed with their opinions...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:00 pm

DatDude wrote:No i don't think Mays was a cyborg.
BILLY MAYS HERE WITH FULLY FUNCTIONAL PROSTHETIC HANDS!

Actually, I wasn't exactly joking, but I'm not presenting this as an actual "theory" either. The hand remaining when Maya pops is just something that's never made sense within the context of the movie, as in every other situation all organic parts pop when the AT Field disappears, and the hand being prosthetic actually explains that in a way that makes sense. I have no "concrete" evidence, but it's not "baseless speculation" either because the premise established in Eva is that, when one's AT Field vanishes, one's body bursts into orange goo and leaves behind only that which is inorganic. Thus the only explanation which is consistent with the movie's internal logic is that Maya's hand is inorganic.

Again, am I stating with any certainty that the hand we see roll across the monitor was prosthetic? Oh my, no. I'm just saying that, if my hypothesis is true, it explains something that's never made sense before and has always just been attributed to breaking internal logic for the sake of a striking visual image.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:00 pm

lolAnno. But once again; Maya's fingers are under scrutiny. Perhaps there is some super important connection between Maya and hands/fingers in Evangelion that we just arent seeing~
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”