When Adam was sleeping in the South Pole....

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

When Adam was sleeping in the South Pole....

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:32 pm

How did they know where to find him, and how did they manage to wake his grumpy ass up?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:33 pm

DSS. And as generic or cheap as it sounds, Im going to say part of it is SEELE knows everything. :devil:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:53 pm

I kinda got the impression they just sort of tripped over him while digging in the Arctic for something else, then sent a team in to investigate
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Don't forget Japan is one of the world leaders of exploration down there.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I thought his location was mentioned in the Dead Sea scrolls.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 pm

child of Lilith wrote:I thought her location was mentioned in the Secret Dead Sea scrolls.

Fixed, even though it doesn't really matter.

And of course they knew Adam was there. Nobody hated Papa Katsuragi enough to say "Hey, he's got a Super Solenoid theory! Let's send him to Antarctica to do research for no apparent reason whatsoever other than to get him out of our skins!" One would assume Katsuragi was down there researching his S2 Theory in hopes of studying Adam's core.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: When Adam was sleeping in the South Pole....

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 am

CyberXIII wrote:How did they know where to find him, and how did they manage to wake his grumpy ass up?

DSS is the obvious answer. Though, depending on how inert Adam was, it is possible that his S^2 eminated some sort of field, most likely a magnetic one, that made it possible to localize her more pinpointedly (is that a word?). Though the Super Solenoid of the Evaverse has probably nothing in common with real world solenoids.

As to how they woke her up:Contact Experiment. Even vaguer than usual.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:35 pm

The whole 'everything predicted by the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls' thing never sat well with me. According to CI, the scrolls originated from the FAR, or at least the information contained within (possble from one of the moons, who knows),
but basically, if the FAR could predict with such accuracy the events that transpred in Eva, then as a prerequisite then would have known that Lillith would crash into Adam's new home, something CI makes very clear the FAR didn't want to happen...so why didn't they stop it?
I always figured the SDSS where more a sort of User Manual that explained about the FAR, the moons, and the seeds, and SEELE used the information ("keep Life and Knowledge away form each other at all times, or you will be tanged" etc) to work out a scenario leading to instrumentality

But I digress
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm

I've always assumed that the SDSS predicted what forms the Angels would take, and what they might do to the Lilin. This allows for most of the predictions to come true, and let's Gendo point out that they don't predict everything: They're just about defeating the Angels to stave off 3I.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:50 am

I thought the Dead Sea Scrolls were like... emergency manuals in case something bad happened. In that sense, they probably have descriptions of multiple possible scenarios, and Seele just put two and two together and figured out "Oh, we're scenario #368". ^^;

Also, since Adam was supposed to land there, clues to her location were probably left by the FAR. As for Lilith, we could probably assume the Japanese stumbled across her, because her sphere-shaped ride is quite big, and I think if she'd landed in any other country, they'd have found her eventually as well. I mean, geologists would figure it out, no?

For all we know, all of the seeds get sent to the poles of their target planets, and Lilith (being an accident, unless you believe my fanfic) ended up randomly in Japan. Or rather, she ended up somewhere that shifted over millions of years to become what we now know as Japan.

My thoughts. I could be full of shit. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:39 pm

I thought the Dead Sea Scrolls were like... emergency manuals in case something bad happened. In that sense, they probably have descriptions of multiple possible scenarios, and Seele just put two and two together and figured out "Oh, we're scenario #368". ^^;

This.

"If You are a Lilin species and you accidentally up the Adam, you should prepare for anywhere between this and this many Angels, and will need to..." etc, etc. "If the current approaching Angel has these properties, it is an encroachment type. See page A237."

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 pm

^ Beat me to it...

Chapter 12
If you find a suspended Seed of Life, take care to not remove the Modulating Spear (see Appendix D, Modulating Spear, Use Of)...

I figured, though, that the SDSS must have been copied at some point by an errant esthete who couldn't help inserting some of his own mythology into the mix. Unless Longinus was the guy that swiped Lilith's LnY and used it to end Christ's suffering, or SEELE just decided to assign Christian themes for the lulz.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:21 pm

I just wonder what kind of language they were written in...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 am

CyberXIII wrote:How did they know where to find him

Vague pointers on what to look for (maybe where??) in SDSS make Seele put money into deep geological surveys/scans/whatever, and eventually they find what they need.

and how did they manage to wake his grumpy ass up?

Somebody touched her inappropriately.

And unless there were two Spears lying around, the one that put Adam to sleep in the first place was taken out, albeit some time before 2I actually happened. Couldn't have helped matters, anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:29 pm

I figured, though, that the SDSS must have been copied at some point by an errant esthete who couldn't help inserting some of his own mythology into the mix. Unless Longinus was the guy that swiped Lilith's LnY and used it to end Christ's suffering, or SEELE just decided to assign Christian themes for the lulz.

I figured SEELE just added it themselves because they're evil jews.

I just wonder what kind of language they were written in...

Given how this series works, probably in what the Catholic Church considered the Angelic Script that became the basis of all (western) languages. If it's the language of the FAR, and some Lilin used it to form latin and what not, it'd be very appropriate.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:05 pm

I always thought that final image in the OP was the SDSS in some Angelic script and maybe the scrolls were later on translated somehow into Latin or something. /My 2 cents.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 pm

Just so everybody knows... Yeah, the final cut of the OP is the SDSS. This is ancient FGC crap, everybody should know it!

http://www.evacommentary.org/op/op_2.html#cut085

Topic tiem. Bump an SDSS thread if you wanna talk about that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:17 pm

CyberXIII wrote:How did they know where to find him, and how did they manage to wake his grumpy ass up?

On the public level, SEELE is an art and science patron, so it finances scientific expeditions aplenty. Katsuragi's was one of them.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:13 am

ath wrote:I just wonder what kind of language they were written in...

Elohim's language

Reichu wrote:Just so everybody knows... Yeah, the final cut of the OP is the SDSS. This is ancient FGC crap, everybody should know it!

If each symbol corresponds to a single letter, then you have there two four-letter words.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 am

Allemann wrote:
Reichu wrote:Just so everybody knows... Yeah, the final cut of the OP is the SDSS. This is ancient FGC crap, everybody should know it!

If each symbol corresponds to a single letter, then you have there two four-letter words.

Well who says that each symbol is a single letter? The could be whole words or phrases. Besides, that's just one page of the SDSS.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”