Eva-01, Eva-08 and Eva-06

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Q: Who can take down a sumo wrestler?
A: Hand to hand, another sumo wrestler, or somebody in their weight class.

Q: If you are not a sumo wrestler, could you beat a sumo wrestler down?
A: No fuckin way.

Q: Can the past two questions be applies to Eva units?
A: yes, yes they can.

Q: What are you getting at Wonderluster?
A: Well the symbolism is that sumo wrestlers are powerful and need another individual of equivalent or more strength to have an even match, thus the Evas are referred to as the sumos; Because they are so very powerful.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:33 am

Evafan wrote:soooo anyone else got any good sumo theories?

Heh, the main thing in my initial post wasn't sumo, but rather that Anno used terms that conjure a very specific topic in the (chiefly Japanese) audiences mind: some sort of ritual, that needs three (four, if the referee is counted) participants. I was meerly trying to find a reason behind Eva-08's inclusion to the story.

I'm starting to think that this metaphoric "ritual" is actually spread in time. That is, the three Evas will be used not in the same instance, but with time gaps between playing out their roles in the Yokozuna-dance analog, with Eva-01 starting (she probably already kicked of the sequences that are about to unfold with her awakening), followed by Eva-06 playing the chief role, and after that, Eva-08 will complete the sequence. So i'm starting to think that there will be no epic showdown between Unit-01 and Unit-06, however disapponting that may be.

MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:You know, I'm really thinking that the thing in Terminal Dogma isn't Lilith, Anno's just fucking with us again. I bet either Mark 06 or Eva08 is Lilith and it's Adam down in Dogma or whatever progenitor entity Rebuild is using instead of Adam.

I have no clue if anyone's brought this up, (they probably have, but I'm on to something, maybe) but I bet the 'Lilith Preservation Area' that flashed on screen is where Eva08 is being built, and that it's really Lilith.

Not bad. My personal theory regarding all this is, that Lilith really is Lilith, and Eva-06 is Adam, or rather, something derived from those myterious "Adams", and that the "unholy union" of these beings is a step towards Seele's ultimate goal. So, i think Eva-06 is actually getting down into Dogma to merge with Lilith, and this merger will result in the "birth" of Eva-08, which is actually the "True Evangelion" Seele seeks. I'm guessing that if that will be the case, this particular Eva will never see action, and won't even be piloted in the classic way at all. It could turn out to be an "Instrumentality Engine".

Of course, that is just Seele's wish: Gendo will probably try to throw a wrench in their plans with Yui/Rei/Shinji whatever. This might be the instance where that ever so mysterious "Lost Number" will come into play.

AuraTwilight wrote:
Perhaps Shinji's soul could be shifted to Eva-08? I know it's kinda crazy, but maybe someone gets to be Shinji-sama's pilot.

Wouldn't that require Shinji having offspring?

Mari is the daughter of Shinji and Asuka from the original after-EoE Evaverse. Duh.

Last edited by SaltyJoe on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:07 am

SaltyJoe wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
SaltyJoe wrote:Perhaps Shinji's soul could be shifted to Eva-08? I know it's kinda crazy, but maybe someone gets to be Shinji-sama's pilot.

Wouldn't that require Shinji having offspring?

Mari is the daughter of Shinji and Asuka from the original after-EoE Evaverse. Duh.

I can not see any connection to such claim.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:31 am

trueno_twentyone wrote:I can not see any connection to such claim.

I was bullshitting.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:06 am

My bad, took it seriously. :toothy:

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:44 am

I just have to wonder how Unit-08 will be destroyed. Cause you know you can't keep any after instrumentality right?
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 am

SaltyJoe wrote:I'm starting to think that this metaphoric "ritual" is actually spread in time. That is, the three Evas will be used not in the same instance, but with time gaps between playing out their roles in the Yokozuna-dance analog, with Eva-01 starting (she probably already kicked of the sequences that are about to unfold with her awakening), followed by Eva-06 playing the chief role, and after that, Eva-08 will complete the sequence. So i'm starting to think that there will be no epic showdown between Unit-01 and Unit-06, however disapponting that may be.

I was under the impression Eva 01's premature awakening was Gendo's pet project and a hindrance to SEELE's planned Ritual?
I thought perhaps Kaji's words about Eva 01 awakening 'before all (numbers) have gathered' referred to the fact Unit 08 hadn't been completed yet? :ponder:

I say she's Shinji's long lost twin...

Combs wrote:I just have to wonder how Unit-08 will be destroyed. Cause you know you can't keep any after instrumentality right?

But Mooom...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 am

LiLi wrote:I was under the impression Eva 01's premature awakening was Gendo's pet project and a hindrance to SEELE's planned Ritual?

Gendo certainly wanted to acheve his own ends with, but Seele seemed to be one step ahead of him (what with 06 lancing 01). It would be pretty ironic if Gendo was unknowingly playing into Seele's hands (just as his son was doing his fathers bidding, all the while he thought he was "breaking free"). Plans within plans.

Anyway, the "Nerv personnel being confined" bit in the 3.0 jikai might refer to Seele taking over. Gendo suffers a breakdown with his manipulative bastardry, but probably still has something up his sleeve.

I thought perhaps Kaji's words about Eva 01 awakening 'before all (numbers) have gathered' referred to the fact Unit 08 hadn't been completed yet? :ponder:

"All the numbers?" The fansub i'm watching has it simply "Before everyone is present". That makes that "Lost Number" thing even more interesting.

LiLi wrote:I say she's Shinji's long lost twin...

"Leia!...erm, Mari!" Hey, would that make Asuka Han? She is a captain, and she does end up in deep freeze before the climax :P.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Gendo certainly wanted to acheve his own ends with, but Seele seemed to be one step ahead of him (what with 06 lancing 01). It would be pretty ironic if Gendo was unknowingly playing into Seele's hands (just as his son was doing his fathers bidding, all the while he thought he was "breaking free"). Plans within plans.

Kaji however seemed to think SEELE wouldn't be happy about it... mmmm...

Or maybe Kaworu launched of his own initiative?

"All the numbers?" The fansub i'm watching has it simply "Before everyone is present". That makes that "Lost Number" thing even more interesting.

Well, IIRC I translated it as "all are present" or something like that, but technically the word number(s) was in there too in the JPN, if I recall... but I'm not sure if it's a linguistic frill or something actually meaningful...

:EDIT: Lost Number? You mean Eva 07?

LiLi wrote:"Leia!...erm, Mari!" Hey, would that make Asuka Han? She is a captain, and she does end up in deep freeze before the climax :P.

:lol:

:emogendo:... You have a sister... SEELE was wise to hide her...

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 am

Gendo is Darth Vader and Misato is Yoda.

Oh and Keel Lorenz is Palpatine.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Gendo is Darth Vader and Misato is Chewbacca.

Oh and Keel Lorenz is Palpatine.

Can Kensuke be Jar Jar Binks? Please?

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:23 am

LiLi wrote:Kaji however seemed to think SEELE wouldn't be happy about it... mmmm...

Kaji said that before Eva-06 stopped Third Impact. I guess that showed how much Seele approved. But it also shows they anticipated this turn of events. And they might use it to their own advantage.

Or maybe Kaworu launched of his own initiative?

Nah, that would lead to Seele themselves getting screwed over far too quickly. Besides, Kaworu was already suiting up when there was no awakened Shogouki in sight, and no one seemed to mind.

:EDIT: Lost Number? You mean Eva 07?

I see the differing translation will make things fuzzy in the future, regarding discussion of certain events... "Lost Number" is how Kaji refers to the "<famous> Key" in the fansub.

EDIT:
@rampant Star Wars references: the mods gonna say it so: TOPIC!

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Could it be that it was Kaworu's job to deliver the Lance to Nerv but as he decended, inda saw humanity about to be annihilated and was like screw it. Then IMPALED Shinji?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 am

^ You really like that word, don't you? :lol:

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:36 am

Eva Re-take anyone? :tongue:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 pm

BACK DEMON, BACK TO THE SEQUEL THEORY DIMENSION FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Eva Re-take anyone? :tongue:

Stop it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:32 am

PRPD and Synapsid couldn't be on topic in the Spears thread, so they lose (some of) their posts and get them commemorated here. Just rehash of the tangent I started earlier, so it's better off here than there. (But only a little.)

ThePRPD
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:17 am

Now about Kaworu's rod being thrusted into Unit-01's core(:facepalm:) is it possible that Unit-01 could very well be out of commission after this. It would make sense for Shinji to pilot Unit-08 or Unit-07 if that's the case.

Reichu
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:39 am

@PRPD: Stop stealing my zany theories. It's mine! You can't have it!

Synapsid
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:58 am

Now about Kaworu's rod being thrusted into Unit-01's core(:facepalm:) is it possible that Unit-01 could very well be out of commission after this. It would make sense for Shinji to pilot Unit-08 or Unit-07 if that's the case.
Hmm, well Shinji and Rei were all one with Yui at the time...but weren't there two cores in her? It could be that it serves to split one of the elements (that might have been necessary to stop 3I, and if it somehow traps Rei or Shinji it'll definitely be another instance of dark irony on Anno's part) If it didn't hit Yui's core she should still be alive and it might just be that Sho is re-branded after having absorbed stuff.

ThePRPD
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 am

Synapsid wrote:but weren't there two cores in her?

Two cores?

Reichu wrote:@PRPD: Stop stealing my zany theories. It's mine! You can't have it!

Huuuuur... Great minds think alike?

Synapsid
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:48 am

PRPD wrote:Two cores?

I think so, two cores seemed to be visible after the absorbtion ...Although I might be wrong.

ThePRPD
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:59 am

Synapsid wrote:
PRPD wrote:Two cores?

I think so, two cores seemed to be visible after the absorbtion ...Although I might be wrong.

I don't think it was absorbed. I think Zuruel's core turned to LCL after Shinji rescued Rei. I'd have to re-watch to be sure though.

Synapsid
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:09 am

I don't quite know where it came from but I think there was a second, at least once Shinji crawled in with Rei...now I need to look at it again, or maybe someone involved in the translation/cataloguing can just tell us what happened :think: ...And unless if Kaworu's spear had that effect (expect Shinji to yandere choke him if that happens) Rei probably won't physicaly die...although I doubt that she'll stay the same (the talk about replacments and clones is a bit suspect), I do wonder if the spear and twinning will somehow complicate their recovery they did sort of leave that hanging.

And nice try, PRPD, but you were hanging out in this thread earlier, where I posted the theory (before anybody else). Therefore you stole it. ;p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 am

Reichu wrote:And nice try, PRPD, but you were hanging out in this thread earlier, where I posted the theory (before anybody else). Therefore you stole it. ;p

I'll let you keep the spoils this time. :smirk:

Do you really think I stole your theory?
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:59 am

Guys, guys, ideas flow like LCL in the unifying stream of Instrumentality...

wonderluster wrote:BACK DEMON, BACK TO THE SEQUEL THEORY DIMENSION FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!

:lol:
This reminds me of the time when my Friend-who-shall-remain-anonymous tried to exorcise Troll!Anno from my body... :emogendo:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”